Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2016, 10:46 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,776,820 times

Advertisements

I came from a lower middle class family. I did all the wrong things, cc debt, no savings, a boat, a quad, a new car but always able to make ends meet but with nothing left over... also known as the rat race. I knew I was doing "something" wrong and one day, I faced the music, added up the debt, went into shock, it was a turning point. It was worth all the doing without to get out of the rat race and into a positive net worth.

Don't listen to naysayer (ney savers). Ignore the blamers. Make up your minds you're going to get out of debt, save an emergency fund, save and invest. What ever some people are doing now isn't working, government isn't going to save you in fact will hinder you, it's time to try something different.

I've learned is there is a big difference between the money mindsets of poor, middle class and rich people. I've also learned just because I'm out of school doesn't mean I stop learning. I'm still learning and will continue to till I die.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2016, 10:57 AM

34,087 posts, read 17,145,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post

I've learned is there is a big difference between the money mindsets of poor, middle class and rich people. I've also learned just because I'm out of school doesn't mean I stop learning. I'm still learning and will continue to till I die.

Learning is the key, and being willing to change.

The alternative is a "worthless pity party", in a cold room decades after entering workforce age with useful tools upon which to build a life.

Old 01-03-2016, 12:02 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,497,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
I came from a lower middle class family. I did all the wrong things, cc debt, no savings, a boat, a quad, a new car but always able to make ends meet but with nothing left over... also known as the rat race. I knew I was doing "something" wrong and one day, I faced the music, added up the debt, went into shock, it was a turning point. It was worth all the doing without to get out of the rat race and into a positive net worth.

Don't listen to naysayer (ney savers). Ignore the blamers. Make up your minds you're going to get out of debt, save an emergency fund, save and invest. What ever some people are doing now isn't working, government isn't going to save you in fact will hinder you, it's time to try something different.

I'm poor and I hate to spend money. My room is freezing and I've been agonizing for weeks over whether I should spend $40-$60 on an electric blanket. What kind of money mindset is that?

Old 01-03-2016, 12:05 PM

106,841 posts, read 109,092,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
You were able to fit at least 3 excuses into that post
he usually fits a lot more .

then the next post is what should a low income earner do when their money goes all for rent ?

Old 01-03-2016, 12:19 PM

26,194 posts, read 21,634,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post

then the next post is what should a low income earner do when their money goes all for rent ?
You forgot you need at least 3 question marks ???

If not 6

??? ???

Old 01-03-2016, 12:22 PM

34,087 posts, read 17,145,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I'm poor and I hate to spend money. My room is freezing and I've been agonizing for weeks over whether I should spend $40-$60 on an electric blanket. What kind of money mindset is that?

Your focus needs to be on earning more money, even if it means walking to a 2nd job.

Old 01-03-2016, 12:42 PM

Quote:

then the next post is what should a low income earner do when their money goes all for rent
?

Obviously they should rent a house, rent out rooms at a markup, and live in the house for free.

That was easy.

Old 01-03-2016, 12:55 PM

106,841 posts, read 109,092,448 times
perhaps you should start a 401 keg plan . collect empty beer bottles for the deposit .

Old 01-03-2016, 01:10 PM

1,878 posts, read 2,243,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
One of the biggest myths in our society is that the reason poor people are poor is because they spend their money on drugs, Clothes, technology. That if they just pocketed that 120 dollars on an Xbox they wouldn't be living in trailer parks/project lol.

News flash, you are never saving anything of significance on 9 dollars an hour, I don't care how "conservative" you are with money. For the record when I say significant I mean that will change your economic reality in a big way long term.

For the record, I don't want to turn this into a MW raising debate because it's not about that.
I would say it's because we aren't a very sympathetic bunch. Furthermore, since we've found success in cutting back, making sacrifices, or good judgments in some areas, we assume that our methods could be extrapolated into overall financial success for everyone (it's a heuristic or fallacy). We also tend to judge and criticize financial choices of the poor and generalize that they deserve what they get. Perhaps there's even a bit of egotism that by feeling like they deserve to be poor for making bad choices somehow validates or congratulates ourselves for making good choices.

If I had to take a generalized stab in the dark, I'd say it's because most of don't understand poverty and the systematic obstacles that prevents folks from getting out of it. Poverty is defined by some as the lack of options and resources…some just see it as being poor. Imagine if you had little or no money, no prospects for a job, and no access to nutritious food.

Old 01-03-2016, 01:30 PM

Quote:
perhaps you should start a 401 keg plan . collect empty beer bottles for the deposit .

Difficult to do here because there are so many professionals doing it for a living, and only so many discarded cans available.

They now have enormous centralized bottle return centers which took supermarkets out of the return loop, making cans and bottles more difficult to return if you don't have a car.

I should start a 401 kg (Ag) plan, first step 401 ounces.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance