Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2015, 10:01 AM

2,409 posts, read 1,529,181 times

Advertisements

You have to get some sort of investment. Buy an appreciating asset. I grew up in a large family with very little extra money. So you live a certain way and make due.

When I was on my own you apply those same learned behaviors in your own life. I scraped up $3,000 and bought a foreclosed condo. Rented it out for 10 years and did most of the work myself. Yes it was a pain. 10 years later I got a six figure profit on my small investment. Sure I got lucky with my timing as I dumped it at the right time. But my original down payment was earned at a 2nd, part time job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2015, 10:57 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowin View Post
$9 an hour and 1000 hours of overtime per year is 30k per year, clear 22k Also, not long ago, I've lived just fine on 5k per year. You just have to know how to go about it, dude. you can easily add 8k per year to your base 18k per year (untaxed) by cleaning houses, casting bullets, teaching a bit, writing, work gigs on craigslist, flying a sign at intersections, etc.

you ASSUME that you "have to" pay rent and utilities, but you don't, if you live in a van. mobile, yu can eat lunch at the church and supper at the Salvation Mission, and what the food pantries give you will take care of breakfast. Just hang out at a college library and use a convenience store microwave, along with your solar icechest. it's quite easy to do, actually, once you get your head right

Where do $9/hr workers get overtime?

When I delivered pizzas, one week I worked 48 hours and was paid 8 hours of overtime.

My manager HATED to pay overtime, so after that he deliberately underscheduled me so I would never ever get 40 hours again.

Old 11-29-2015, 11:01 AM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Where do $9/hr workers get overtime?

When I delivered pizzas, one week I worked 48 hours and was paid 8 hours of overtime.

My manager HATED to pay overtime, so after that he deliberately underscheduled me so I would never ever get 40 hours again.
that is what happens when you have a career path meant for teenagers .

Old 11-29-2015, 11:30 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Some cities have set minimum at $12 or more...

Oakland CA is weeks away from $12.55 per hour and many working in fast food in nearby communities are applying for fast food jobs in Oakland to get a 30% raise so I have started to see banner signs in these nearby communities stating $10 an hour to start... no experience.

I have always saved... even with my first W2 job paying $50 a week when I was 12 years old... I banked $20 a week...

Old 11-29-2015, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post

Oakland CA is weeks away from $12.55 per hour and many working in fast food in nearby communities are applying for fast food jobs in Oakland to get a 30% raise so I have started to see banner signs in these nearby communities stating $10 an hour to start... no experience.

I have always saved... even with my first W2 job paying $50 a week when I was 12 years old... I banked $20 a week...

well that's not hard to do when you don't have conventional expenses (e.g. free room and board etc).

by the time i graduated high school i had saved up $20k-plus in today's dollars.

Old 11-29-2015, 11:53 AM

2,560 posts, read 2,302,327 times
Quote:

Yes, and I retired Oct 1 and worked in Oakland and my coworkers were refusing to pay for lunches that have doubled because of the increase in low skilled food worker wages . Consequently, many of these shops have closed down. I am very happy after having earned a great salary in Oakland but having moved to a much lower cost of living state with no income tax. I lived 15 miles east of Oakland in a "supposed" nice community but so far I am LOVING my move!! And the economy is booming here!

Old 11-29-2015, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
well that's not hard to do when you don't have conventional expenses (e.g. free room and board etc).

by the time i graduated high school i had saved up $20k-plus in today's dollars.
Sorry for omitting full disclosure...

I was 12 years old and earned $50 a week working at a car lot washing and vacuuming cars, putting on license plate frames and general gopher work...

Pay day was every Friday and this is how my $50 Paycheck was allocated...

$20 to my parents for room and board... ($80 a month)

$20 to my Bank of America Savings Account

$4 and change for withholding...

$5 and change was all mine and enough to buy a $1 burger each day.

True I was only 12... but, my dad grew up in the Depression and he had two paper routes and turned in all his money to his parents when he was 12

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 11-29-2015 at 12:41 PM..

Old 11-29-2015, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkmere View Post
Yes, and I retired Oct 1 and worked in Oakland and my coworkers were refusing to pay for lunches that have doubled because of the increase in low skilled food worker wages . Consequently, many of these shops have closed down. I am very happy after having earned a great salary in Oakland but having moved to a much lower cost of living state with no income tax. I lived 15 miles east of Oakland in a "supposed" nice community but so far I am LOVING my move!! And the economy is booming here!
So many or my friends, neighbors and coworker are retiring out of State... where did you go?

Old 11-29-2015, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Sorry for omitting full disclosure...

I was 12 years old and earned $50 a week working at a car lot washing and vacuuming cars, putting on license plate frames and general gopher work...

Pay day was every Friday and this is how my $50 Paycheck was allocated...

$20 to my parents for room and board... ($80 a month)

$20 to my Bank of America Savings Account

$4 and change for withholding...

$5 and change was all mine and enough to buy a $1 burger each day.

True I was only 12... but, my dad grewed up in the Depression and he had two paper routes and turned in all his money to his parents when he was 12

ah so you did have expenses...maybe i was just a spoiled brat, i did yard work at home but never was asked to pay anything.

i lived with relatives who were paid by my father for my upkeep, so i just assumed my upkeep was covered

Old 11-29-2015, 12:47 PM

Funny thing is I was the oldest all around... first grandchild on both sides, etc... and had a VERY strict upbringing...

I have younger brothers and they didn't have to pay although the next one in age to me worked every summers on a ranch in Nevada starting at age 12... so his employment covered room and board and the ranch/owner operator were no connection to my family. This brother moved out the day after high school graduation and has been on his own to this day... last year he was able to realize his dream and buy a small ranch with outbuildings dating back to 1860 and is in the process of updating... he put himself through UC Berkeley and lived in a $2500 travel trailer the entire time.

Now the youngest was quite different... he too had jobs early on... the difference is when he was asked to contribute room and board he laughed and told my parents they HAD to take care of him until he was 18!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance