Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2015, 06:35 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,975,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cm5878 View Post
Saving 15% sounds nice but may be impossible for those with cc debt, mortgage, fixed expenses, etc
That's why one needs to be very, very careful about taking on a lot of "fixed" expenses when young (including kids, cars, pets, student loans, mortgages, & having your own apartment). Not all can be avoided, but many more can be than people will admit to.

Last edited by mysticaltyger; 11-29-2015 at 06:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2015, 09:36 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,642,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cm5878 View Post
Saving 15% sounds nice but may be impossible for those with cc debt, mortgage, fixed expenses, etc
It's fortunate then that cc debt, mortgage, many "fixed" expenses, and many "etc." are optional.

Old 11-29-2015, 09:41 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,473,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
It's fortunate then that cc debt, mortgage, many "fixed" expenses, and many "etc." are optional.

then rent is also an optional expense.

Old 11-29-2015, 09:46 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,642,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
To an extent, yes it is.

Old 11-30-2015, 02:28 AM

106,721 posts, read 108,913,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyxius View Post
Not a myth. You used a bad example in order to make a point. You have to do more than save money to be wealthy.
i always say a penny saved is a penny earned , but it will always remain a penny .

it is the investing of those pennyy's over decades ,compounding from good investing skills that is needed to grow wealth . most of us will never have much wealth just accumulating the small drops of money we can save from our checks .

it takes compounding to do it .

Old 11-30-2015, 11:03 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,692,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
In some cases yes...

Here's a couple of first hand examples...

Jobs like a resident onsite property manager come with a housing allowance.

Caretaker for institutions like churches often come with housing.

Religious orders come with housing.

Military comes with housing.

Working in professions like merchant marines or on oil derricks come with housing.

Some companies like Bechtel provide housing in their worldwide operations.

The first job my brother had was as a ranch hand on a working ranch... it not only came with housing... but also meals...

Old 12-02-2015, 04:46 AM

316 posts, read 214,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Yeah, you can. You live with less "extras". Pass on that smartphone and 55" TV, cut out the premium channels on the cable. Turn off lights when rooms are not in use. Go to school part time, learn something to earn more money, join the military.
Pardon for not having read all the comments, but tat is what the OP means by myths. I dont have cable, got a 20 yr ol TV and DVD that was a Christmas gift ,only use basics on a cell phone, piggy back the neighbors internet on a 13 yr old computer, don't have a car, and DH and I are still struggling. I have a laptop, but it i shared with the family biz. Poor people arent allowed to do anything or complain about anything, but richer people can complain about how bad poor people are. Likely those people have never been poor.

Old 12-02-2015, 05:23 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,692,777 times
Sounds like you are doing all the right things...

Keeping recurring expenses to a minimum and a frugal lifestyle...

I've often found couples that have money issues either both like to spend or one likes to and either combination is bad. It is the rare couple that are both on the same page when it comes to being frugal and cost conscious.

Don't have a cell... yet I bought one for Mom... I have her on a plan where a $100 buys 1000 minutes... they never expire and her average year has been about 60 minutes... looks like it will work out to less than $10 PER YEAR for her.

I do realize many seniors can or have free phones... she has always been a person that pays her own way... she is from the generation where a phone was never for conversation.

Compared to most of the world I believe America is a Live and Let Live society... nobody really cares what adults do as long as they are paying their own way...

Old 01-03-2016, 04:17 AM

1,485 posts, read 955,301 times
I want to thank the posters on this thread.
I learned a lot from the different posts here. A couple posters came off as real jerks but they were brutally honest and that was the most help. I appreciate someone who tells it like it is and doesn't sugar coat the message.
I will begin to put some of the suggestions here into practice.

Old 01-03-2016, 04:26 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,130,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roddma View Post
Pardon for not having read all the comments, but tat is what the OP means by myths. I dont have cable, got a 20 yr ol TV and DVD that was a Christmas gift ,only use basics on a cell phone, piggy back the neighbors internet on a 13 yr old computer, don't have a car, and DH and I are still struggling. I have a laptop, but it i shared with the family biz. Poor people arent allowed to do anything or complain about anything, but richer people can complain about how bad poor people are. Likely those people have never been poor.
So, where do you spend your money?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance