Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2016, 10:26 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,772,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Is this a great country (and state) or what?

Lemme see, I can't afford to retire, so I toil all year for a lousy $16K, and then I gotta pay more tax than someone who makes $18K and has a retirement plan at work?

Someone help me understand the reasoning there.
If you file income tax, that's the savers credit that I've posted a link earlier. Read up and take advantage of it. Stop complain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2016, 10:30 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,772,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I am in basically the same boat you're in. I started college in the fall of 2004 and was only paying about $5k annually. Today, that same state school is around $10k. That education isn't worth double what it was then - in fact, it may even be less valuable as the area's economy has hollowed out and the economy isn't what it was ten years ago overall.
I paid nearly $60-70k private school for one kid. I myself got Pell Grant that cost me $49 per quarter. Commuted from home, no dorm. Shared gas cost with another driver.

Old 01-12-2016, 11:52 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,477,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
If you file income tax, that's the savers credit that I've posted a link earlier. Read up and take advantage of it. Stop complain.

Didn't you see that chart of savings rates by income quintile?

The bottom two quintiles don't even save 1 percent of their income.

Between student loan hell and The Rent Is Too Damn High, I'm constantly tapped out.

Old 01-13-2016, 12:01 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,477,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkmere View Post
Thank you so much for defining "legislative logic" for me. LOL. In all my undergraduate classes and graduate and post-grad classes and study, I've never come across it.

Seems to me that puts you a leg up in marketing that term. Maybe you can market your "Free Market Legislative Logic" concept and turn it into huge cash the same way, say, McClellan did with the "McClellan Oscillator" or Bollinger did with the "Bollinger bands" or Schiller with the "Schiller index."

If only you could figure out a way to get out of your one room in the house full of bad people and drunks, etc.
Seems if you are bright enough to discover a whole new theory or concept, you could also figure out the above.

But, alas, as you keep reminding us know-nothings, you have NO MARKETABLE SKILLS.

TOO BAD,:SO SAD.

Legislatures often offer a glimpse of their logic, they like to stash a lot of WHEREASes into their bills.

I do have a marketable skill, it's just not a JOB skill for which an employer hires.

In fact, with some minor hardware and software enhancements, there are at least several local businesses to which I can pitch a value-added service by expanding their product line.

Old 01-13-2016, 07:54 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,984,970 times
Quote:
Legislatures often offer a glimpse of their logic, they like to stash a lot of WHEREASes into their bills.

I do have a marketable skill, it's just not a JOB skill for which an employer hires.

In fact, with some minor hardware and software enhancements, there are at least several local businesses to which I can pitch a value-added service by expanding their product line.
Unless either of them earns you a decent living, neither of them count for anything. The key words here are "marketable" and "job".

Old 01-13-2016, 10:50 AM

9,872 posts, read 7,747,075 times
Quote:

That sounds great, do it. Many of us would be happy to see you take action and move forward in your life.

But what marketable skill do you have that ISN'T a job skill?

Old 01-13-2016, 02:20 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,303,897 times
Quote:

First, I want to profusely thank you for elaborating on your "legislative logic" definition. WHEREAS; now I totally understand. Maybe you should start a wiki page on the term. I'm sure that could lead to gainful employment. At least as much of a chance as posting 23,094 times on an internet forums. By the way, do you have multiple forums going on?

Employers aren't necessarily looking for a specific skill. They are looking for a "type" of person. One who want to work hard, get ahead, and use their basic skills (analytical, communication, people skills, etc.) to add value. A specific skill isn't always or even generally required. What specific skill do you think I acquired by getting a Political Science undergrad degree? Answer: Ability to persevere and get a college degree, ability to think, etc.

It sounds like to me you have't been willing to start anywhere unless it's exactly what you are looking for. I went to an orientation today for substitute teachers. Only thing required is degree. The staff person said they are clamoring for subs and one can work every single day if one wanted to. I'm retired, but I might do it just to keep me from posting incessantly on internet forums so much.

If you are a real person describing your situation, then you have apparently a psychological problem. You can't get started with a job. Or maybe you are just plain VERY VERY VERY LAZY.

Which fits you?

Old 01-13-2016, 07:58 PM

403 posts, read 473,218 times
Quote:

Between student loan hell and The Rent Is Too Damn High, I'm constantly tapped out.

And if you a guy how do you date after bills and rent and putting some away for savings?

Old 01-13-2016, 07:59 PM

403 posts, read 473,218 times
Quote:

Just hoping the rent doesn't increase this year but it probably will

Old 01-13-2016, 11:20 PM

34,069 posts, read 17,102,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Unless either of them earns you a decent living, neither of them count for anything. The key words here are "marketable" and "job".

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance