Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2016, 09:55 AM

3,657 posts, read 3,286,249 times

Advertisements

Is there an Excel spreadsheet available so that I can put in the remaining numbers of years on a mortgage and figure when the mortgage will be paid off early by paying double the principal each month? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2016, 10:04 AM

2,573 posts, read 3,501,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
Is there an Excel spreadsheet available so that I can put in the remaining numbers of years on a mortgage and figure when the mortgage will be paid off early by paying double the principal each month? Thanks!

use bankrate mortgage calculator. Just google it.

Old 02-19-2016, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha_1976 View Post
use bankrate mortgage calculator. Just google it.
Thanks, I've seen that. But it doesn't have an option to double principal payments as part of the calculation.

Old 02-19-2016, 10:24 AM

9,317 posts, read 20,995,583 times
Extra Payment Mortgage Calculator for Excel

Spreadsheets - The Mortgage Professor

Are two I found with a google search

Old 02-19-2016, 10:27 AM

2,573 posts, read 3,501,580 times
Quote:
Thanks, I've seen that. But it doesn't have an option to double principal payments as part of the calculation.

Let's see- You have an option to add to monthly payment. Just add there what you want including your principle payment. How's that different?

Old 02-19-2016, 11:57 AM

33 posts, read 33,419 times
I use this mortgage calculator. It lets you include or exclude PMI, insurance, property taxes, and HOA and has options for extra monthly, quarterly, yearly, or one-time principal payments with a full amortization schedule and graph.

Old 02-19-2016, 02:09 PM

1,380 posts, read 2,396,840 times
Be sure to consider the opportunity cost before you make above minimum payments. With mortgage rates so low, your money might serve you better somewhere else.

Old 02-19-2016, 03:55 PM

6,625 posts, read 7,336,606 times
Quote:
You might want to contact your mortgage company and see if they will reset your current mortgage to a lower interest rate and higher monthly payments. Resetting the terms of the current mortgage should avoid new fees, title search etc.

Old 02-19-2016, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha_1976 View Post
Let's see- You have an option to add to monthly payment. Just add there what you want including your principle payment. How's that different?
That's not the correct formula. Simply adding a static amount for each month won't achieve the right results. The principal payment on a mortgage changes each month for the life of the loan. Look at an amortization schedule and you will see. To double the principal payment each month requires a further calculation to determine what that would be for each month.

Old 02-19-2016, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
You might want to contact your mortgage company and see if they will reset your current mortgage to a lower interest rate and higher monthly payments. Resetting the terms of the current mortgage should avoid new fees, title search etc.
I believe you are referring to a mortgage modification. I've done those a couple of times in the past when interest rates were dramatically different than they are now. Recently our mortgage was sold to another company which doesn't allow mortgage modification or anything useful unless you are doing a refinance.

With the economy being what it is, I prefer not to to be locked into a higher monthly requirement. Sending in additional principal payments gives me more control over the situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance