Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2016, 01:32 PM

106,691 posts, read 108,856,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Most of my co-workers work hard, so why aren't they rich?
Because they are not smart . Doing things others can do for themselves or anyone can do will never pay much but the work certainly can still be hard or dirty.
smart is finding the career paths for things others can't or won't do for themselves .

i am always reminded of my septic guy in pa when we had the house . the guy was not very educated but he was smart . he chose a path others won't do . he was quite successful and not only owned the septic cleaning truck but commercial real estate in town .

Last edited by mathjak107; 03-17-2016 at 02:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2016, 01:58 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Because there is more to it then "working hard".

When I was in my 20's I had very little extra money.

Yet I signed up and used the Drip Investor to buy 1 share of a dividend stock a month. I did that for 6 months and *voila*..I had a stock portfolio

Dividends got reinvested and I sent in money to buy more shares every month..$25-$30.

Between stock dividends reinvested, stock splits and my extra money it grew over time to where it was finally worth something.

Most people used their extra money to "buy stuff".
I used my extra money to go to work for me to earn even more money.

Old 03-17-2016, 02:12 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,978,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by numberfive View Post
Because it takes more than hard work alone.
And some people think what they are doing is "hard" when it is not. Stocking shelves, ringing up customers, pouring lattes are not hard work.

Old 03-17-2016, 02:14 PM

548 posts, read 473,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
A typical union teacher contract in the Northeast has a pension based on the last 3 years of earnings. Typically, it's 2% per year worked with a cap at 75%. Most states, the pension is exempt from state income tax. If you teach 38 years starting at age 22 and retiring at 60, you have a very nice pension. The pension typically has a cap of 2% on COLA adjustments. They typically also get health benefits at very low cost until they hit Medicare age and might get some deal on a supplemental program once they're on Medicare.

These numbers come from Connecticut, by the way.

That's "present", not "past". It's totally out of whack with what the private sector does and unfunded pension liabilities are likely to crush quite a few states and many cities & towns.

Until last year, I never got any 401(k) match at all. Last year, I got a 3% safe harbor. Barely a dent compared to the $24K catch-up contribution I make every year.

If you do an apples & apples comparison, a million dollars in a 401(k) is roughly a $40,000 income stream. A union teacher in Connecticut with a Masters earns about $90K their last 3 years working. When you factor in the health care perk and COLA adjustments, it's easily worth $2 million in 401(k). You'd need to be putting away something 10% into a 401(k) with a 10% match to have it pile up to $2 million assuming 3% return after inflation. Nobody in the private sector does anything close that I've ever seen.
I don't disagree with your numbers as they seem to be fairly reasonable and based on personal experience. However there is one key point I feel you are missing.

With a 401k that money is yours. You can leave it to your children, a charity, grandchildren, whatever.

With a pension if you work for 40 years and then croak that's pretty much it.

Old 03-17-2016, 02:20 PM

4,040 posts, read 2,557,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycanmaster View Post
Our economic system is just one huge Ponzi scheme IMO...

How much of the population really wants to spend the time and energy needed for retirement planning and research, which stock market investing seems to require??? Get real, people...

What does your portion of the population want to spend time and energy on?

Video games? Watching TV?

Old 03-17-2016, 02:26 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,763,707 times
Quote:
Because they spend too much time taking selfies.

Old 03-17-2016, 03:59 PM

106,691 posts, read 108,856,202 times
in my day selfies had a different meaning lol

Old 03-17-2016, 04:24 PM

1,951 posts, read 1,636,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
And some people think what they are doing is "hard" when it is not. Stocking shelves, ringing up customers, pouring lattes are not hard work.
Exactly. Hard work isn't necessarily difficult work.

Some people get insulted by terms like "skilled" vs "unskilled" work. Stocking shelves is unskilled work, just about anybody could learn that task pretty quickly. Try teaching someone to code an algorithm when they've never coded before. Or interpret corporate tax law if they've never picked up a law book. Or wire a circuit breaker, repair an airplane engine, etc. It's going to take much, much longer. And odds are many people aren't going to be good at it, especially right away.

I think some of those people that have "hard" jobs actually have easy jobs that are physically demanding. There's a difference.

Old 03-17-2016, 05:49 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post

Ummm...you gotta take into account the customer...on average, convenience store customers are pretty low on the hierarchy of retail customers. Think about who patronizes convenience stores.

Ever handle manual bottle returns with used syringes?

Old 03-17-2016, 05:55 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Because there is more to it then "working hard".

When I was in my 20's I had very little extra money.

Yet I signed up and used the Drip Investor to buy 1 share of a dividend stock a month. I did that for 6 months and *voila*..I had a stock portfolio

Dividends got reinvested and I sent in money to buy more shares every month..$25-$30.

Between stock dividends reinvested, stock splits and my extra money it grew over time to where it was finally worth something.

Most people used their extra money to "buy stuff".
I used my extra money to go to work for me to earn even more money.

Dang! I used the extra money to cover the latest rent increase!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance