Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2016, 03:01 PM

4,907 posts, read 3,366,641 times

Advertisements

How 401(k)s Have Worsened the Retirement Gap

Quote:
Over the past couple decades, the shift from pensions to 401(k)s has driven retirement inequality to an all-time high, making it harder for the majority of Americans to retire comfortably—or at all, as new analysis from the Economic Policy Institute shows.
And so long as incomes remain stagnant for many Americans, and employers continue to substitute 401(k)s for traditional pensions, the inability to adequately save for retirement will continue—and the gap will worsen.
To me, it just seems like 401(k)s are just a big Ponzi scheme...

I'd rather just have a defined pension plan to be quite frank, but that's just me though...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2016, 03:08 PM

26,194 posts, read 21,621,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycanmaster View Post

I'd rather just have a defined pension plan to be quite frank, but that's just me though...

To me it would appear you have no idea what a ponzi scheme is.

What you mean is youd rather have someone else take on your savings/retirement risk and not be responsible for your retirement

Old 03-06-2016, 03:14 PM

106,786 posts, read 109,020,929 times
Quote:

here is a tip !

stop wishing , stop complaining and start learning to play the cards you are dealt or you will end up with the rest of the whiners who do nothing but complain about things and end up with little ..

through it all those who want to be successful find a way - the rest find an excuse

Last edited by mathjak107; 03-06-2016 at 03:24 PM..

Old 03-06-2016, 05:40 PM

4,907 posts, read 3,366,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
here is a tip !

stop wishing , stop complaining and start learning to play the cards you are dealt or you will end up with the rest of the whiners who do nothing but complain about things and end up with little ..

through it all those who want to be successful find a way - the rest find an excuse
If people did not "complain and whine" about things, nothing would change or get better!

Social progress means not accepting the status quo...

Old 03-06-2016, 05:57 PM

106,786 posts, read 109,020,929 times
Wrong. Complaining here is useless. Things are what they are . You can complain all you want but you better learn to play those cards or face the consequences . If you think your complaining is bringing back pensions you are dreaming.

Old 03-06-2016, 06:03 PM

1,951 posts, read 1,638,026 times
Quote:
If people did not "complain and whine" about things, nothing would change or get better!

Social progress means not accepting the status quo...
I agree, but you have to play the game until the game changes.

Old 03-06-2016, 06:10 PM

1,951 posts, read 1,638,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Wrong. Complaining here is useless. Things are what they are . You can complain all you want but you better learn to play those cards or face the consequences . If you think your complaining is bringing back pensions you are dreaming.
There's a difference between activism and Facebook likes.

Old 03-06-2016, 06:13 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,472,077 times
I used to feel like you but have changed my mind. I personally believe, as long as the company 401k match is relatively high and vests quickly (federal law should make it vest immediately, IMO) I prefer a 401k over a pension from a private corp. If you want a pension, you need to go work for the state or federal government.

My reasonings are many:
  • It allows portability. Often, in private industry, people can maximize their raises and income potential by switching employers every few years. A pension "locks you in" to that employer.
  • Similar to the above, if you are vested with your employer pension plan, and the company has financial difficulty, it's possible your pension could be frozen or lost altogether. Also, the company could come after you for pay cuts in order to stay afloat, and with no backup plan you'd be forced to accept. Once the 401k money hits your account, it's yours not theirs. Bankruptcy cannot take it away from you.
  • You can live anywhere you want. This is huge for us. I couldn't imagine being held down to a location because of a job. You have so much flexibility when you can move about the country as you desire.
  • 401k's can potentially outpace a traditional pension in returns. If you start at an early enough age and set aside a large amount at first, your 401k can grow to a sizeable amount after 30-40 years.
  • 401k's can be passed down to your heirs, pensions go away when you die.
There are certainly some pitfalls and these company match programs with pittance matches (ie 50% match up to 6% or something ridiculously low) need to change. Also I've personally seen 401k plans that had only high fee funds as choices, and the administrator was a board member on the company (ie getting a kickback). It would be nice if 401k plans went away completely and the tax code was overhauled to allow IRAs at the 401k level, with company contributions direct deposited into the IRA similar to your bank account. That way you could purchase any fund you wish, you wouldn't be beholden to the plan your employer dictates.

Old 03-06-2016, 06:17 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,167,316 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
To me it would appear you have no idea what a ponzi scheme is.
Reiterating the obvious.

Old 03-06-2016, 06:18 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,557,218 times
Not everyone had a defined pension plan. And more today have the 401K available to them to save for retirement.

The past wasn't as rosy as you seem to think OP.
In 1980 only 38% of workers had DB pension plans. (source is SSA site).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance