Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2016, 10:39 PM

174 posts, read 217,839 times

Advertisements

Oh i wish i could just keep more of my own money. Here is where my money goes:

Taxes 36%
Cost of Living 34%
Other 12%
Savings 18%

Taxes - Federal, State, Social Security, Medicare, SUI, SDI
Cost of Living - Rent, Health Care, Utilities, Insurance, Gas, Groceries
Other - Fun, Stuff i don't need

I can basically make decisions with about 30% of my money, and over half of it i save. Yes, i could live in a little bit worse of an apartment (my place is not so great anyways...) but rent is high all over the bay area, it wouldn't make much of a difference. It surprised me that my federal taxes alone are more than my also absurd rent for a 1 bed apartment.

Is is normal that taxes are someones biggest expense? Or am i doing something wrong. Surely i shouldn't spend more money elsewhere because i'm already not getting far with my savings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2016, 11:41 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,740,361 times
Your biggest expenses are a mortgage (in your case rent) and taxes. Are you putting anything in a 401k?

Yes it's like a kick in the butt to work your butt off and see how much the government takes. Talk to a CPA and start learning a little about the tax code and make the necessary adjustments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoredRestless View Post

Taxes 36%
Cost of Living 34%
Other 12%
Savings 18%

I can basically make decisions with about 30% of my money, and over half of it i save. Yes, i could live in a little bit worse of an apartment (my place is not so great anyways...) but rent is high all over the bay area, it wouldn't make much of a difference. It surprised me that my federal taxes alone are more than my also absurd rent for a 1 bed apartment.

Is is normal that taxes are someones biggest expense? Or am i doing something wrong. Surely i shouldn't spend more money elsewhere because i'm already not getting far with my savings.

Old 03-15-2016, 06:17 AM

14,617 posts, read 21,496,591 times
The OP is not alone:

Tax Freedom Day® 2015 is April 24th | Tax Foundation

Robyn

Old 03-15-2016, 06:28 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,809,020 times
Me too. Taxes are way more expensive than the rest of my bills.

Old 03-15-2016, 06:29 AM

4,231 posts, read 3,558,959 times
You should learn to dodge taxes.

Businesses have advantage.

So start couple of businesses and show these as expenses.

Or you're gonna pay lots of taxes.

Another option is to move.

Old 03-15-2016, 06:47 AM

1,951 posts, read 1,636,641 times
Quote:

Taxes 36%
Cost of Living 34%
Other 12%
Savings 18%

The bay area is a very expensive area to begin with. Most of what you listed are optional expenses, which sets your quality of life. An 18% savings rate is good, are you satisfied with your quality of life now?

And can you break down your taxes by category? 36% seems very high, unless you're making $300k+.

Old 03-15-2016, 06:56 AM

18,549 posts, read 15,590,462 times
Quote:

Taxes 36%
Cost of Living 34%
Other 12%
Savings 18%

For frugal folks with high incomes, and for childless professionals, YES, it's normal.

Try having a couple of kids. Then see what your biggest expense is!!!

Old 03-15-2016, 07:14 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,809,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
For frugal folks with high incomes, and for childless professionals, YES, it's normal.

Try having a couple of kids. Then see what your biggest expense is!!!

I would agree with that!! But, eventually kids grow up and get off the payroll and then you're back to taxes.......

Old 03-15-2016, 07:29 AM

9,361 posts, read 14,111,535 times
How much anyone pays in taxes is not the issue. The issue is whether the distribution of the burden is fair and what our taxes are used for. Countries like Denmark, which are well run (but have low military costs), have a personal tax burden of about 60%. Not that a danish system is preferable, since I like directing my own money.

Old 03-15-2016, 09:50 AM

6,627 posts, read 7,346,527 times
Yes.

If you owned a home then Real-estate taxes would be in your list. You pay them as part of your rent.

You also have taxes built into the price you pay for everything else. So yes over taxes can be the largest expense. A lot more than we realize.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance