Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 01:18 AM

493 posts, read 442,531 times

Advertisements

In your opinion, how much net worth to afford a BMW M2 comfortably?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2016, 01:23 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,338,536 times
I say no debt, maxed 401k, 1 year salary in emergency fund, ability to continually contribute to personal savings.

Old 04-07-2016, 07:30 AM

1,098 posts, read 1,245,736 times
How much will it cost?

Old 04-07-2016, 07:34 AM

106,581 posts, read 108,739,314 times
to vague a question . you can have 5 million dollars in real estate tied up and 20k in the bank and you can't afford to buy it

Old 04-07-2016, 07:35 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,925,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiishrimp View Post

What's your definition of "afford"? People don't usually use net worth when it comes to buying/leasing a car.

Old 04-07-2016, 07:51 AM

816 posts, read 967,775 times
I assume its 60k. I ubderstand where you are coming from.

I use a 10% threshold. So maybe 600k nw

But cash flow is more important.
After 401k max and paying all your bills, what do you save every year?
If you save 60k or more , go for it.

Old 04-07-2016, 07:52 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,663,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
to vague a question . you can have 5 million dollars in real estate tied up and 20k in the bank and you can't afford to buy it
This is how I'm feeling (who I am). Paid off my mortgage last week. $750k in assets and $8k in cash.

On the other hand:
-Escrow check is expected next week
-I get paid weekly and can cover our day-to-day costs
-Each of hubby's current pay check = 3 months living expenses
-Literally a pile of cash (tens of thousands gifted from my FIL... I think to be considered pre-inheritance or something) awaits us in my husband's native country if he so chooses to pick it up (which we are trying to avoid.... imagine trying to cross the border! But it's there in a true emergency I suppose).

And hubby is negotiating a corporate C-level job... which might very well turn each pay check into 5-6 months of living expenses if we avoid lifestyle inflation.

We're vulnerable. We took a risk, but it was calculated.

We have ZERO intention of buying except a late summer domestic vacation for the remainder of the year.

Old 04-07-2016, 07:55 AM

816 posts, read 967,775 times
Congratz on the mortgage pay down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
This is how I'm feeling (who I am). Paid off my mortgage last week. $750k in assets and $8k in cash.

On the other hand:
-Literally a pile of cash (tens of thousands gifted from my FIL... I think to be considered pre-inheritance or something) awaits us in my husband's native country if he so chooses to pick it up (which we are trying to avoid.... imagine trying to cross the border! But it's there in a true emergency I suppose).

And hubby is negotiating a corporate C-level job... which might very well turn each pay check into 5-6 months of living expenses if we avoid lifestyle inflation.

We have ZERO intention of buying except a late summer domestic vacation for the remainder of the year.

Old 04-07-2016, 08:13 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,568,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post

On the other hand:

Your husband's c level possibility is overseas isn't it? With your cash flow the way it is why didn't you wait another month or two to build a cushion better than 8k? It seems like unnecessary to take the risk you did when in a month or two you'd be fine.

Also paying off the mortgage is going to have very little impact on your overall picture if your husband gets the new job, you move and sell the current house

Old 04-07-2016, 08:15 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,568,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiishrimp View Post

Is this question hypo or about you specifically? If it's about you specially I'd say you are probably fine with a healthy 7 figure net worth to buy a 50-60k car
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance