Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 10:42 AM

2,170 posts, read 1,955,534 times

Advertisements

Honestly I feel like if this question is being asked here a car like that shouldn't be getting purchased. A person that can truly afford a depreciating asset like that should have so much extra $ they don't really need to even think twice about the purchase.

I'm a firm believer that your assets should pay for your liabilities. You should have your retirement plan in place and be meeting it, the extra $ you have that you invest should be what covers liabilities. So if you want a car that is going to cost you $12,000 a year you should have enough investments OUTSIDE of retirement, that average $12,000 in gains a year to cover that liability.

But I want to be rich and retire early, so my school of thinking is not for everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2016, 10:51 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,403,413 times
Default Cash flow!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramax666 View Post
I think net worth should be the PRIMARY stipulation for affordability. What else should it be?
Am I missing something here?
It is really pretty simple -- a CAR is always going to suck money out of you! The question is how much of that "suck" has the potential to mess-up the rest of your life.

Edge case, let's say the OP has no job, no real ongoing income from a passive source, and is young enough to need whatever "wealth" they have now to last till they die. The $50k they'd blow on this car might not be seem like a big deal if they have a few million in net worth, but if their current cost of living is well under $50k they are effectively MORE THAN DOUBLING their negative cash flow for this year. Performance cars are also well know for going through more gas (it'll be premium) than run-of-mill cars, wear out tires faster, have high insurance, even need more frequent maintenance (that even if the dealer covers it, STILL takes time out of the OP's life...)...

If the OP wants to play the "$50k over five years equals $10k a year" game that autodealers also try to use to get naive dolts to overspend, they are welcome to fall into that trap, but the fact is getting a used car that is probably 1/5 the price so their CASH FLOW is similarly reduced dramatically, if they NEED a car...
Used 2012 Honda Civic Coupe Pricing & Features | Edmunds

If the OP decides "but I want this EXPERIENCE" I would argue that the $8k difference would likely be better spent on TRAVEL of other 'pure entertainment" that is not going to be a continual drain with the ongoing expenses detailed above...

Old 04-07-2016, 11:04 AM

2,813 posts, read 2,114,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post

If the OP is the kind of person that has ZERO debt, religiously maxes out their 401K, has built-up a SOLID cushion of a year's income in a completely liquid emergency savings fund, has the CASH to buy this car without going into debt, and STILL has growing income to put MORE into savings every year THAT is how they should evaluate their desire to "treat themselves" to this car that might turn out to be a costly lesson ...
Completely agree. OP, this is the advice you need^^

Old 04-07-2016, 11:18 AM

2,813 posts, read 2,114,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthur View Post
People with real high net worth don't buy expensive cars.

People that have a high unjustifiable feeling of worth buy expensive cars.
Well that's simply not true.

Not ALL people with "real high net worth" buy expensive cars, but certainly SOME of them do.

How does one justify their "feeling of worth" anyway?

Old 04-07-2016, 01:42 PM

2,885 posts, read 4,647,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiishrimp View Post
In your opinion, how much net worth to afford a BMW M2 comfortably?
The reply that comes to mind is the one-liner about how much [insert luxury here] costs. "If you have to ask..."

Old 04-07-2016, 01:50 PM

2,170 posts, read 1,955,534 times
If I had zero debt and my retirement plan was ahead of schedule I'd be willing to spend about 10% of whatever money I have left over each month on a car I suppose. So after all my bills, expenses, retirement investments are behind me if I still have $4,000 left over I'd be willing to put $400 of that toward a nice car. Then the remaining $ would go toward additional investments so I can get to the point where my money is working for me and I can retire early.

To each their own.. The only true way to know if you can afford something is by building a budget and seeing what would happen if you added that item. Some people may be willing to put the minimum toward retirement, the maximum toward their car, and have nothing left over. I like putting the maximum toward retirement, minimum toward my car, and still have plenty left over.

Old 04-07-2016, 01:53 PM

5,051 posts, read 3,582,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
It is really pretty simple -- a CAR is always going to suck money out of you! The question is how much of that "suck" has the potential to mess-up the rest of your life.

Edge case, let's say the OP has no job, no real ongoing income from a passive source, and is young enough to need whatever "wealth" they have now to last till they die. The $50k they'd blow on this car might not be seem like a big deal if they have a few million in net worth, but if their current cost of living is well under $50k they are effectively MORE THAN DOUBLING their negative cash flow for this year. Performance cars are also well know for going through more gas (it'll be premium) than run-of-mill cars, wear out tires faster, have high insurance, even need more frequent maintenance (that even if the dealer covers it, STILL takes time out of the OP's life...)...

If the OP wants to play the "$50k over five years equals $10k a year" game that autodealers also try to use to get naive dolts to overspend, they are welcome to fall into that trap, but the fact is getting a used car that is probably 1/5 the price so their CASH FLOW is similarly reduced dramatically, if they NEED a car...
Used 2012 Honda Civic Coupe Pricing & Features | Edmunds

If the OP decides "but I want this EXPERIENCE" I would argue that the $8k difference would likely be better spent on TRAVEL of other 'pure entertainment" that is not going to be a continual drain with the ongoing expenses detailed above...
Yep, me too and that is a very logical way of looking at it but not how most people who buy flash cars operate.

Old 04-07-2016, 02:02 PM

2,234 posts, read 3,322,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aramax666 View Post
Wow!
All High net worth individuals like in their tiny shacks, count their money before going to sleep.
And take the bus to work everyday.

Car and home are two capital expenses that you consume everyday. Feeling good about those things? There is no shame in that.
One of the traits of rich people is not putting resources into any asset that loses money. All of the truly rich people I know drive older Chevy's, and pickup trucks. Another trait of rich people is to not attract attention by wearing expensive watches or jewelry.

Old 04-07-2016, 02:03 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,246,716 times
Lets look at this way. If you bought it and you went racing tomorrow and totaled it on the track and the insurance wouldn't cover it. Would it matter? I mean you would be heartbroken for a while but would it affect your future negatively?

"Yes it would hurt me"...pass and maybe buy a used M3
"No it wouldn't affect my financial future"...write the check and have fun.

Old 04-07-2016, 02:04 PM

902 posts, read 1,105,491 times
equipped with standard features such as 320hp Inline 6-cyl Engine, 8-speed Sport Automatic Transmission, and M Sport brakes.

LEASING DETAILS

$499 first month's payment
$3,000 down payment
$0 security deposit
$925 acquisition fee
$4,424 Due at Signing

if you can afford five bones a month then it's yours

http://www.bmwusa.com/bmw/special-of...i-xDrive-Coupe
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance