Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 11:50 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,196,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
Oddly, I find the worse someone's financial shape is the more they talk about it. Some people almost sound proud to say they are living paycheck to paycheck or are up the creek because of a modest car repair bill.

At the other end of the spectrum, people in great financial shape tend not to say a word other than whining about their taxes.

This is my anecdotal observation but it repeats itself time and time again.
Actually, I've found that not to be quite so true. I've known a number of people, to hear them talk and complain about how they can't afford this and can't afford that, that you would think barely make minimum wage when, in fact, because of their occupations or positions of themselves and their spouses, you know they make close to six figures if not more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2016, 11:59 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,579,249 times
Hmmm. A colleague of mine a year ago or so openly said that his parents put money away for his college but he got scholarships to cover it all and his parents said he could later use the money for a down payment on a house. All of it was said in mixed company!!!

Old 05-05-2016, 11:59 AM

2,181 posts, read 1,627,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
Due to our professions and background, it's pretty obvious to our friends and family that my wife and I are very well off. Not once has anyone hit us up for money.
I hearing a lot of "nos" here on my question. Maybe I have the wrong friends.

Old 05-05-2016, 12:00 PM

15,794 posts, read 20,487,959 times
For the most part, I tend to follow this rule in my daily travels out in the real world. My dad always taught me to never tell people anything about your financial situation.

I might help close friends with some things like 529 or 401K advice, but that's about the extent of it.

I tend to do the opposite on here because it's an anonomous, internet forum after all.

Old 05-05-2016, 01:25 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,246,047 times
I dont have a problem talking about but I have knowledge on the subject and have done a fair amount of research. Most people at work have not a clue what to do with their money but spend it till there is nothing left. Therefore when the subject comes up I tend to fall back because we are such polar opposites. It would just end up in a fight.

Personally I have no problem having an intelligent conversation about what we do with our money. If they cant handle it then its their problem.

Old 05-05-2016, 02:56 PM

143 posts, read 133,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
So what is your point?
My point is, you shouldn't think you're better than somebody because you make more money than them.

Old 05-05-2016, 03:43 PM

2,181 posts, read 1,627,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddSteel View Post
My point is, you shouldn't think you're better than somebody because you make more money than them.
Are you allowed to think you are smarter and prettier?

Old 05-05-2016, 03:52 PM

22,572 posts, read 47,641,955 times
Quote:
You ARE better... at making more money!

Seriously, though, did someone make you feel bad by acting like they are better than you? Is that why you started this thread?

Old 05-05-2016, 04:19 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,868,540 times
Quote:
From what I know, its impolite to discuss personal finances. You don't want to talk about how much money you make a year or compare yourself to others based on how much you make. A person's annual income is private stuff because we tend to rate people in our minds based on how much they make. If you know you make more money than the guy down the street than you might think you're better than them. Unfortunately this goes on quite a bit and people have too much of an ego based on how much they make.
It's also impolite to spontaneously lecture strangers when you know nothing at all about them.

Old 05-05-2016, 04:20 PM

10,065 posts, read 7,234,324 times
Some people do gloat and it's annoying.

I talk about personal finance all the time on the internet anonymously, but in person? No. It's kind of like discussing politics.... in my experience nothing good happens. Two people are unlikely to agree and will often leave the conversation resentful in one way or another. It's easy to forget the empathy factor.

I remember talking about it with an older colleague around the time I started working. He was giving me all sorts of unsolicited advice about investing and what I should be doing with excess money. "Instead of buying a new car you should buy this fund, bla bla." I did not waste money on new cars. At the time I drove a 24 year old chevy S10. I wanted to scream that I was still paying off my $36K of student loan debt that was necessary for the required degree to even get considered for the position, that I was on salary step 3 and he was on something like step 24 and there were significant 5 figure differences in that. I also stifled the impulse to say he probably bought his house when prices were Much, MUCH lower rather than the 10% year-over-year increases in rents and housing values happening at the time. My main thought was that he should shut up and mind his own business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance