Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2016, 08:37 PM

391 posts, read 290,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bell235 View Post
i have a large chunk of money saved up and want to create some kind of passive income stream. my first thought is real estate - buy a condo or something and rent it out so i can get a rental income every month. (fyi - i do not own anything right now, i rent). but i live on long island in NY and it's just super expensive so sometimes i don't think that's the right move. and people always tell me being a landlord is awful. what other options are there? i'm very risk averse so just putting money into the stock market doesn't really appeal to me.

any ideas? what about investing in a company or start up? how would someone go about doing that?
You should read the four hour work week by tim ferris...

Boiler on how to run an internet business. It is an old book now, but the base info is still solid.

I've had a business for almost two decades now... great income. Would not necessarily call it 100% passive though. I have to work it for a couple of hours per week when nothing is happening. In my case, every couple of years I have to update programs and products which will take some time, depending on what I'm updating.

Like the four hour workweek, I turned a couple of hobbies into businesses. Looking to turn another later this year. I actually want to see if I can get someone else to run this business... test an idea from the book I read.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2016, 09:54 PM

10,351 posts, read 8,569,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyinCali View Post
I meant to say "to me", but somehow that got omitted. And I was using PFE as an example. As I mentioned in the post above, I am in a lot of closed end funds run by the top investment firms, such as Pimco and DoubleLine. They pay 10% yield. 2% in management fees leaves you at 8%. and then ordinary income tax leaves you at 6%. 6% return for doing nothing is very good. What can you do that beats 6% passive return given that a lot of Real Estate properties have <10% Cap rate, that also gets taxed at ordinary income and requires you to assume a lot of the maintenance risk.

Closed-end funds are of course risky. Nothing that yields 10% is without risk. But unless the underlying assets start going bankrupt left and right, the distributions will not get cut materially. For me, I am more comfortable with that risk than with buying a property in a market I don't know and assuming all repair risk.

What sources of passive do you recommend that are better than that?

I would argue RE is better for appreciation, because you get the benefit of leverage and you can deduct the interest. But for passive income, I prefer closed end funds over landlording.
A lot of people don't want to be a landlord, but once you get the hang of it it isn't that much work if you do it right.
You do have to know what you are doing. The risks you speak of are mitigated by inspecting the property and knowing what major repairs will be coming up when you buy it. You can always hire an inspector. Then screening the tenants.

I am getting almost 14% return, after depreciation write offs the taxable amount is about 75% of that 14%. I paid all cash similar to you investing in funds, but had I leveraged my money the return would have been something like 40% or more.
When I managed my own properties I was spending about 5 hours a month total on them combined (a duplex and 2 houses).

I can afford a manager now, so I make a little less (hence the 14%), but my time is closer to 1-2 hours a month, mostly paying vendors and doing book keeping. I have 13 and will be getting 3 more by the end of the year. I also own 4 in my self directed ira which beat the market by over 2.5x over the last 2 years.

Now I bought these for cash flow (dividends in your world) but appreciation is a bonus if it happens.
For me the difference of your 8% vs more 14+% is significant and I don't feel there is any more risk. My 14+% factors in expenses, money set aside for future repairs when they happen, etc.

I agree it is not for everybody. You have to use common sense, be fair, treat people fairly, but not get taken advantage of.
This seems to be hard for a lot of people as you sometimes see them post about bad landlord experiences. Heck one posted here on CD last week, but they brought it on themselves.
What I like is I have some control myself. ( some see this as a plus or a minus). I can control who rents from me, I can adjust rents to the times. If everything falls apart they are all owned mortgage free, heck I can move into one if I need to.

Next year I will start using leverage and based on my projections I should see about 200% return each year on my money invested.

I'm not special. There's people here that make me look like a peon.

Last year 3 of my investor friends quit their jobs and live off of real estate. They had been in the game for about 3 years and are in their mid 30's. Two of them are just traveling. One got bored and is part time consulting as she has no travel aspirations.
I keep wondering what my life would have been like to retire at such a young age. The world is truly their oyster.

Old 08-01-2016, 09:48 AM

2,432 posts, read 2,691,622 times
Quote:
i was thinking single family home or the duplex.. but i am open to anything really. i guess whichever would be safer/less riskier/more affordable.

i have never thought about commercial real estate. not sure how that works.
We use to own rental property before we moved. Had 10 units total. It certainly has its up and downs. Sometimes the downs can be quite bad. You have to be able to be strict, treat it as a real business and deal with people well. It was a challenge for us anyways. We did well though. Our properties were in a low income poverty stricken town.. I would never buy in an area like that again or recommend it. If you can get a decent duplex in a good neighborhood I would absolutely go for it. Just make sure to research ahead of time, what rent would go for in your area and figure in expenses like repairs, maintenance, taxes, insurance ect. It can be great if done right!

Old 08-01-2016, 11:07 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,254,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icemodeled View Post
We use to own rental property before we moved. Had 10 units total. It certainly has its up and downs. Sometimes the downs can be quite bad. You have to be able to be strict, treat it as a real business and deal with people well. It was a challenge for us anyways. We did well though. Our properties were in a low income poverty stricken town.. I would never buy in an area like that again or recommend it. If you can get a decent duplex in a good neighborhood I would absolutely go for it. Just make sure to research ahead of time, what rent would go for in your area and figure in expenses like repairs, maintenance, taxes, insurance ect. It can be great if done right!
i just worry i still don't have enough saved up. how did you know when you had enough money to do that and start? is there some kind of calculation or something?

Old 08-01-2016, 01:49 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,638,954 times
Quote:
i just worry i still don't have enough saved up. how did you know when you had enough money to do that and start? is there some kind of calculation or something?
Honestly, common sense. If your entire savings pile is going to be tied up into a single building leaving you with no emergency funds, then it is probably not a good idea. If you are going to have 20% or so left after that, then it is probably better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance