Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2016, 08:11 AM

4,663 posts, read 4,549,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Plain Curious View Post
There have been lots of articles about how Trump and Clinton supporters don't know anyone in their group who is supporting the other candidate. Maybe it is the same among the middle class and the very wealthy. They just don't interact socially.
This has been my experience as well. In the primaries, my social circle was a mix of Sanders, Clinton and Kasich supporters. Now almost everyone I know is voting Clinton (some reluctantly), with a few Johnson outliers. I don't think anyone I'm close to is even tempted to vote for Trump.

If it weren't for CD, I would probably have little exposure to how people outside of the East and West Coasts think and live.

Old 09-23-2016, 08:33 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,955,595 times
I think 'very rich' is probably a net worth of 100 million or more, so no I don't know of anyone that is very rich. I do know a number of millionaires but they really are just regular people that have a lifestyle that takes a little more wealth than average. I did work with someone that is now a billionaire (mostly through dumb luck) and he was and is nothing special except has now has deluded himself to think he knows more than he really does.

Old 09-23-2016, 09:30 AM

2,813 posts, read 2,113,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I wouldn' t know, because nice people don't discuss money.
By "nice" I assume you mean "polite" or "mannerly" not necessarily "kind" or "generous" or "caring" since discussing money wouldn't preclude those characteristics

Besides, you don't have to have a conversation about finances to know someone is "really rich"

When I chit chat with a C-level of a Fortune500 company or the owner of a professional sports team or a best selling author; I know they're really rich.

When someone invites you to their vacation home on a tropical island, or their $3 million dollar beach house, and doesn't brag or show off; I know they're really rich.

When someone's business decisions are discussed on the national news...its a good guess they're really rich.

Old 09-23-2016, 10:26 AM

2,279 posts, read 3,078,730 times
My second cousin was CEO of a couple major railroads, so easily worth tens of millions, maybe hundreds. Worked his way up from switchman, to track maintenance supervisor, through higher and higher management positions and eventually up to CEO of a smaller railroad and then a BIG one. He's lived in Houston, Denver, Chicago, Brazil (where he built railroads there for their government), and now outside of Austin. He's "retired" from corporate life now but spends his time running a CEO consulting firm and a couple hobby businesses. He and his family own a few different homes including a big farm property and they invite the extended family over for family reunions every couple years so I've gotten to spend time with him and at his places. Great guy, very humble and willing to share advice. He's got a nice life.

Old 09-23-2016, 10:31 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,129,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I wouldn' t know, because nice people don't discuss money.
1) That's so not true.

And 2) Afternoon Coffee, you're absolutely right.

Old 09-23-2016, 10:42 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,669,736 times
Wow.. no, I do not know anyone with money like that... my dad was the richest person I knew. At his peak his assets were probably at or near 10mm (no idea with the liabilities were though). He was in business circles with Dallas elites like Ross Perot, Norman Brinker and Jerry Jones for awhile, but he blew it big time and, from what family has said, has lost everything.

I'm glad to hear about "nice" billionaires. It goes against stereotypes that they're out-of-touch and self-aggrandizing.

Old 09-23-2016, 10:47 AM

472 posts, read 527,048 times
Friends are friends especially if you were friends pre-economic status. Just dont ask him for money, or too many questions around money and it will be fine.

Old 09-23-2016, 10:59 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,669,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberous View Post
Friends are friends especially if you were friends pre-economic status. Just dont ask him for money, or too many questions around money and it will be fine.
pre-economic status... what I would give to have that back!

Old 09-23-2016, 09:08 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,297,951 times
OH, i just reminded myself of a cousin that i have....who has no education......(ps. we don't talk for some unrelated reason)....he got into this Multi level marketing scheme 10 years ago, and now "apparently" makes 400k+ a year. he and others at the top flaunt their money, their rolexes, and $10k dinners at restaurants (yes, they post the receipt on FB!) and if he's not a multi-millionaire by now, he's doing something wrong.

I don't consider what he does honest or ethical, given he and the company sell life insurance to the lower class folks, and ask them to join seminars for 250 a person, with the false hopes of making 40k a month in commission, etc.

anyways, just thought of that OP.

Old 09-24-2016, 09:34 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Plain Curious View Post
My brother and I are always talking about a High School friend .........
So, you talk about him all the time? Are you figuring out how he did it, so that you can follow the same path, make the same sort of decisions, and end up just as wealthy? Or are you simply killing time by gossiping?

My life experience is that having money is too much work for most people. They'd like to have the money but they don't want to do the work to get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance