Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 11:06 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,591,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Any true professional would have seen that and swooned.
Maybe it's a difference of career field but professional and swooning don't go together as far as I'm concerned
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2017, 12:16 AM

241 posts, read 221,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
It's simply too long. I'm not a stranger to the counter offer process but I typcially get them via phone call and proceed based on my judgement of the candidate not a couple page letter

I can agree with this
As I stated previously... Your critique about the length is fair. But the email worked and I would've said all of this via phone or in 6+ back and forth emails. What would you have cut? You're ignoring my original question. Im legitimately curious on what you felt was unnecessary. Also what industry do you work in?

Old 01-06-2017, 07:04 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,591,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMDWRECK View Post
As I stated previously... Your critique about the length is fair. But the email worked and I would've said all of this via phone or in 6+ back and forth emails. What would you have cut? You're ignoring my original question. Im legitimately curious on what you felt was unnecessary. Also what industry do you work in?
It worked for you so that's all that matters. I wouldn't have done it via email instead a phone call but the email for me is simply too long. Like I said my opinion doesn't matter here

Old 01-06-2017, 09:06 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,551,138 times
Congrats on negotiating your salary!

Too few people do it.

I hear complaints all the time about people who feel they're not paid enough, but did not negotiate when they were initially brought on. In many industries, yearly raises (even for individuals fully meeting or exceeding their goals) are paltry (averaging well below 2% - so truly the wage you come in at in a new company sets your entire earning trajectory.

Old 01-07-2017, 02:16 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,485,113 times
Good for you! I am not much for negotiating. They first person I met with sort of negotiated my salary for me. I believe it was God who sent an angel to me.

Old 01-07-2017, 06:38 PM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 3,266,879 times
I am glad you were able to negotiate a better salary.

It does remind me that studies have shown that men negotiate better at starting salaries than women (as a rule, not absolute). The solution to some (such as Ellen Pao the dreadful ex-CEO of Reddit) is to not allow salary negotiation. Which once again, if <group a> is not as good as <group b> in something, then bring <group a> down to the level of <group b> (lowest common denominator). Let's find the worst attributes of everybody and all act like that.

Alternatively, we can encourage women to be more assertive in their salary negotiations. Here is a hint, hiring managers rarely give their best offer to start. I have never accepted a company's opening offer (for professional jobs).

Old 01-07-2017, 08:08 PM

263 posts, read 344,122 times
You miss 100% of the shots you dont take, so for those forewarning others not to use this appproach... Maybe it needs to be a different approach, maybe a shorter letter, maybe verbal... The point is ther is always room for negotiation...

And now a special message for the Women of city-data: it is a documented fact that women tend to negotiate their salaries much more rarely than men... They think their work will get noticed... Well it doesn't! It has also been documented that this lack of ngotiating is responsible for at least a portion of the pay differential btw men and women, so go out there and negotiate!!!

Old 01-08-2017, 05:27 AM

472 posts, read 473,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newnewyorkers View Post
Well it doesn't! It has also been documented that this lack of ngotiating is responsible for at least a portion of the pay differential btw men and women, so go out there and negotiate!!!
Not sure where you get your data but it's a documented fact that women with the same amount of experience as their male counterpoint actually earn more. The female pay gap is a myth

Think about it, if it was cheaper to hire females then why aren't companies employeed by 90%+ women???

Old 01-09-2017, 08:25 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,298,620 times
OP, nicely written. I hope you get 'commission' on top of the 57k salary.....that just seems very low for someone with lots of experience....

Old 01-09-2017, 10:49 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,115,163 times
OP, first of all congrats on the negotiation.

Will you get bonuses and whatnot on top of the salary? What you ended up getting seems a bit low for having the experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance