Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2017, 08:50 PM

5,342 posts, read 6,170,171 times

Advertisements

Personal exemptions are pretty straightforward. $4,050 per person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2017, 08:26 AM

5,265 posts, read 6,410,278 times
Quote:
To be fair I'm not quite sure how the deductions/exemptions work, I know they are there but never understood exemptions in addition to standard deduction with no kids.
They decrease your total income. You don't pay taxes on your total income, you pay it on your taxable income, which is net a bunch of deductions for things like 401k, IRA, or health savings accounts, which the government allows because they want to drive certain behavior or because richer people lobbied for it. It's not that complex. And 401k deductions and IRAs are way more valuable than the EITC or whatever you get with kids. And you get deductions for savings on top of your standard deduction, or your itemized deductions.

Old 03-09-2017, 01:16 PM

940 posts, read 969,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
They decrease your total income. You don't pay taxes on your total income, you pay it on your taxable income, which is net a bunch of deductions for things like 401k, IRA, or health savings accounts, which the government allows because they want to drive certain behavior or because richer people lobbied for it. It's not that complex. And 401k deductions and IRAs are way more valuable than the EITC or whatever you get with kids. And you get deductions for savings on top of your standard deduction, or your itemized deductions.
Yes I understand that. However what I mean is every other time I have done my W4 I've included "0" for allowances and still get hit with yearly taxes owed. In theory if I did married filing jointly, withhold at higher single rate, with 1 allowance I should be nuts on but when I did that I owed thousands (around $3k-$4k after all said and done).

The only thing we can deduct is 401k and my personal business expenses, along with mortgage interest and property taxes. That's about it. It's not much. I guess that is why our audit risk, according to TurboTax, is so low. Because we have such a low deduction amount compared to our peers. Having kids would really help.

Old 03-09-2017, 01:21 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,224,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pipsters View Post
Yes I understand that. However what I mean is every other time I have done my W4 I've included "0" for allowances and still get hit with yearly taxes owed. In theory if I did married filing jointly, withhold at higher single rate, with 1 allowance I should be nuts on but when I did that I owed thousands (around $3k-$4k after all said and done).

The only thing we can deduct is 401k and my personal business expenses, along with mortgage interest and property taxes. That's about it. It's not much. I guess that is why our audit risk, according to TurboTax, is so low. Because we have such a low deduction amount compared to our peers. Having kids would really help.
If your goal is to minimize your taxes? Sure. If your goal is to maximize your wealth? Nope. You spend far, far more on kids than you would save in taxes.

Old 03-09-2017, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
If your goal is to minimize your taxes? Sure. If your goal is to maximize your wealth? Nope. You spend far, far more on kids than you would save in taxes.
Yes I would agree with that. Between forgoing income/jobs and spending on the kids, yes you are probably far behind. My wife and I have waited and now are talking about it in our mid-30's, where our nest egg can grow for years instead of putting off saving for the first 10 years of our lives while raising kids.

Old 03-09-2017, 01:42 PM

26,194 posts, read 21,601,431 times
Quote:

We have mortgage interest, property tax, sales tax and charitable donations. Also your health insurance, dental and vision lower your taxable income as well. Your 401k contributions could be much higher and that would help with current liabilities

Old 03-09-2017, 01:50 PM

4,323 posts, read 6,288,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samnyc View Post
I saw this report and I checked my investment. I have looooooooooooong way to go. Just wanted to check how other people are doing?

Here's how much money you should have saved at every age
We are nowhere close. Of course, was in grad school until late 20s, so we weren't able to save then. My wife and my salary has doubled over the past 10 years (we are now around 40), so its nearly impossible to keep up at that pace. We have about 2x our annual income (should be at 3x).

However, I think that looking at ones expenses is a better measure. While we are maxing out our 401ks and both have aggressive company matches, we can only save a little more right now. We're living in the SF Bay Area (high mortgage but a lot of equity accrual), we have two young kids (high daycare costs + 529 plan contributions), etc.

I think it is completely reasonable to assume that our monthly expenses will drop upon retirement and we can still live comfortably. We should be able to cash in our equity for somewhere to downsize. We won't have the high costs for raising kids and we won't be still making 401k contributions. The only things I can foresee rising would be travel and medical expenses, but I cannot imagine we are not saving enough. Also, when our kids are out of daycare, we do plan to contribute even more and we'll take advantage of the catch up retirement contributions at age 50.

What does everyone else think?

Old 03-09-2017, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
We have mortgage interest, property tax, sales tax and charitable donations. Also your health insurance, dental and vision lower your taxable income as well. Your 401k contributions could be much higher and that would help with current liabilities
401k contributions have a maximum limit of $18k per person. We are doing that this year. Can't do any more than that. Last year I did the max and my wife did $7k as she was only at her job with 401k for half a year. Another $11,000 in pretax earnings saved would be what, around $2k-$3k in federal taxes saved I guess using your rates.

Health insurance is actually a pretty low amount thankfully. Those come out of your check pre-tax so you can't do anything with them on your taxes.

Old 03-09-2017, 01:52 PM

26,194 posts, read 21,601,431 times
Quote:
401k contributions have a maximum limit of $18k per person. We are doing that this year. Can't do any more than that.

Health insurance is actually a pretty low amount thankfully.
You listed 25k in 401k so you must have access to two of them no?

Old 03-09-2017, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
We are nowhere close. Of course, was in grad school until late 20s, so we weren't able to save then. My wife and my salary has doubled over the past 10 years (we are now around 40), so its nearly impossible to keep up at that pace. We have about 2x our annual income (should be at 3x).

However, I think that looking at ones expenses is a better measure. While we are maxing out our 401ks and both have aggressive company matches, we can only save a little more right now. We're living in the SF Bay Area (high mortgage but a lot of equity accrual), we have two young kids (high daycare costs + 529 plan contributions), etc.

I think it is completely reasonable to assume that our monthly expenses will drop upon retirement and we can still live comfortably. We should be able to cash in our equity for somewhere to downsize. We won't have the high costs for raising kids and we won't be still making 401k contributions. The only things I can foresee rising would be travel and medical expenses, but I cannot imagine we are not saving enough. Also, when our kids are out of daycare, we do plan to contribute even more and we'll take advantage of the catch up retirement contributions at age 50.

What does everyone else think?
I think as long as you have a plan you'll be fine. You've reserved yourself to working for a long time to come it sounds like. I wanted to be done saving by my mid-late 30's with the ability to walk away. That is why we've put so much away ourselves and kept cost of living very low as incomes grew. I just like the feeling. There are many ways to skin a cat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance