Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 01:57 PM

940 posts, read 969,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
You listed 25k in 401k so you must have access to two of them no?
Yes I explained it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2017, 01:58 PM

4,323 posts, read 6,288,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pipsters View Post
I think as long as you have a plan you'll be fine. You've reserved yourself to working for a long time to come it sounds like. I wanted to be done saving by my mid-late 30's with the ability to walk away. That is why we've put so much away ourselves and kept cost of living very low as incomes grew. I just like the feeling. There are many ways to skin a cat.
Hope to retire by my mid-60s and could see myself doing a part-time gig afterwards, just to keep busy, when not traveling. Probably won't stay where we are living now, but even if we do, will likely downsize. I'm sure we'll be able to take our equity and buy somewhere else outright with money to spare. Property taxes would be higher (if we stay in CA), based upon Prop 13, but I can't see total costs being anywhere close to that.

Old 03-09-2017, 07:56 PM

18,113 posts, read 15,690,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Yes, that's unfortunately true. It's tragic that so many people, even most of those in the upper middle class, are on a treadmill of their own creation.
Ah one of my favorite and most wise posters nails it again.

No one is required to live in super high COL areas; it's a choice. It may not feel like a choice, but it is. No one is required to constantly buy more stuff, that too is a choice. Just as living more simply is a choice, so is living a more extravagant lifestyle.

Sometimes I think spending time on finance-related forums causes more angst and anxiety for folks because there's a combo of bragging and an ongoing message of 'you'll never have enough and whatever you do, you won't make the best choices you could have.'

Don't allow anyone but you to define your success! If you are healthy, if you have enough food for today, tomorrow, next week, next month, next year, if you are safe in your home, you are fine. If you are living within your means and putting something away, that's good! Figure out what's really important and meaningful and be grateful instead of feeling like you can never measure up.

I've been around enough multi-millionaires to know that when someone defines themselves by how much they have, the fancy things they buy so they can look important, and are obsessed with money even when they've gotten to the point where they have financial freedom, then they are poor deep down inside and there is nothing that will fill that hole.

Old 03-10-2017, 05:58 AM

5,342 posts, read 6,170,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Ah one of my favorite and most wise posters nails it again.

No one is required to live in super high COL areas; it's a choice. It may not feel like a choice, but it is. No one is required to constantly buy more stuff, that too is a choice. Just as living more simply is a choice, so is living a more extravagant lifestyle.

Sometimes I think spending time on finance-related forums causes more angst and anxiety for folks because there's a combo of bragging and an ongoing message of 'you'll never have enough and whatever you do, you won't make the best choices you could have.'

Don't allow anyone but you to define your success! If you are healthy, if you have enough food for today, tomorrow, next week, next month, next year, if you are safe in your home, you are fine. If you are living within your means and putting something away, that's good! Figure out what's really important and meaningful and be grateful instead of feeling like you can never measure up.

I've been around enough multi-millionaires to know that when someone defines themselves by how much they have, the fancy things they buy so they can look important, and are obsessed with money even when they've gotten to the point where they have financial freedom, then they are poor deep down inside and there is nothing that will fill that hole.
Yup, I know so many people that do this stuff. A guy my wife works with has a wife a 10 year old daughter and a 23 year old step son. He just sold his $350k 3k sq ft house to move into a $500k ~3.8k sq ft house, for pretty much no reason other than they were tired of the one they had that they had just bought about 6 years ago. I just don't get why you need that size house for essentially a family of 3. We are a family of 3 and have more than enough room in a house that is 2.2k sq ft. Our income has more than doubled since we bought this house 4.5 years ago and we haven't even considered looking for something different. I consider a home a place for shelter. I want it to be nice, but I don't need an extravagent castle. I'd rather save that money to give us options sooner in life.

Old 03-10-2017, 08:29 AM

35,087 posts, read 31,331,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
Yup, I know so many people that do this stuff. A guy my wife works with has a wife a 10 year old daughter and a 23 year old step son. He just sold his $350k 3k sq ft house to move into a $500k ~3.8k sq ft house, for pretty much no reason other than they were tired of the one they had that they had just bought about 6 years ago. I just don't get why you need that size house for essentially a family of 3. We are a family of 3 and have more than enough room in a house that is 2.2k sq ft. Our income has more than doubled since we bought this house 4.5 years ago and we haven't even considered looking for something different. I consider a home a place for shelter. I want it to be nice, but I don't need an extravagent castle. I'd rather save that money to give us options sooner in life.
Exactly.

What you've done in your financial past can't be changed, and can have consequences years and years down the line, even if you've learned improved habits.

I didn't graduate college until I was 24 and with the economy the way it was at the time, it took four years to find my first professional track position. I never made over $40k until I was 27.

When your income is in the 20k-30k range, it is nearly impossible to meet these multipliers, even living frugally with no minimal to no debt.

These are best case scenarios, assuming life doesn't intervene, and also imply good financial behavior that many younger people do not have.

Old 03-10-2017, 11:48 PM

10,069 posts, read 7,245,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post

Yes, this is pretty much how I feel on here and other financial blogs.

I generally adhere to the 50/20/30 rule, but it just never feels like enough.

Old 03-11-2017, 07:24 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,460,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
Yes, this is pretty much how I feel on here and other financial blogs.

I generally adhere to the 50/20/30 rule, but it just never feels like enough.
There will always be people who earn more or save more or spend more or have a better life or are worse off than you.

I remember back many years ago I was working with someone in their mid-30's who liked playing the market. He talked about "just a little bit of money" $5,000 was. I thought he was an ass and braggart. $5,000 to me back then was a TON of money. Took me months to save up. This guy lived like a homeless person, had no place to call home, saved lots of money, etc.

A few years later he died of a heart attack in a hotel.

A lot of good that money did him. It's too bad he was actually a pretty good guy I enjoyed working with him but it's important to live your life how you want and do things that you enjoy/make you happy. You could get hit by a bus tomorrow and never see it coming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance