Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 10:10 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,975,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
How many people making $200,000 live as if they make $30,000? I think if you look at all the people you know their spending kind of matches their income in nearly every case
Yes, that's unfortunately true. It's tragic that so many people, even most of those in the upper middle class, are on a treadmill of their own creation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2017, 10:47 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,224,183 times
Jobs that pay higher salaries are typically located in places with a higher cost of living. For most people, it's extremely unlikely they would be able to live on 15% of their salary. Just reality, not some upper middle class treadmill of their own creation. It's not like someone who earns 50K in a low cost area can live on 7500 a year either.

Old 03-07-2017, 04:27 PM

940 posts, read 969,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
How many people making $200,000 live as if they make $30,000? I think if you look at all the people you know their spending kind of matches their income in nearly every case.

If 8 times your salary is making people wince your example of needing $900,000 to be able to spend $36,000/year will cause them to jump off a bridge. I realize this is a 4% draw down but SS should also he considered.
Very few of the people I know spend at their income level. Most live very far under it. I would estimate most people I work with save over six figures a year.

It's a combination of low wages at the start of their careers (which we became accustomed to living at) and a past history of an unstable industry that lends itself to layoffs.

You position yourself to weather the downturn by saving in the good times. I've found over time, even while making the most money we've ever made in our lives/careers, we are spending the least amount. A combination of debt payoff and getting rid of things we don't really need like cable TV etc. has allowed our monthly bills to continually be reduced.

Plus, even $200k after taxes/deductions is really only about $100k/yr hitting your bank account. Not really that much money all said and done, unfortunately.

Old 03-07-2017, 04:40 PM

2,282 posts, read 3,082,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pipsters View Post
Plus, even $200k after taxes/deductions is really only about $100k/yr hitting your bank account. Not really that much money all said and done, unfortunately.
Where the heck are you that you're being taxed at 50%?! It really should be no more than 40% all things considered even at that income range.

Old 03-07-2017, 06:44 PM

940 posts, read 969,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShampooBanana View Post
Where the heck are you that you're being taxed at 50%?! It really should be no more than 40% all things considered even at that income range.
Federal, state taxes
Healthcare deductions

Even then we end up owing taxes at the end of the year in the thousands ($3k-$4k normally) and we itemize. Withholding is set at married but higher single rate with 0 for deductions.

Old 03-07-2017, 08:50 PM

8,869 posts, read 6,882,561 times
Save 25x? I'd target way lower.

Let's say you're currently paying a mortgage but won't have to when you retire. Delete that. Add a bit more for health care. Then subtract SS income. The result is your annual "gap." Multiply that by 24-30 times (or 35-40 to be conservative).

Personally I'm thinking 12x will be plenty to live forever.

(PS, if the denomenator is pre-tax, then so is the numerator.)

Old 03-07-2017, 11:09 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,975,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Save 25x? I'd target way lower.

Let's say you're currently paying a mortgage but won't have to when you retire. Delete that. Add a bit more for health care. Then subtract SS income. The result is your annual "gap." Multiply that by 24-30 times (or 35-40 to be conservative).

Personally I'm thinking 12x will be plenty to live forever.

(PS, if the denomenator is pre-tax, then so is the numerator.)
I can only speak for myself, but I may need 25X. I live in a high cost area and so I'm a perma-renter. I need that 25X final year's spending level (yes, spending level, which is lower than my salary) because my rent will surely increase over time.

Old 03-08-2017, 05:43 AM

5,342 posts, read 6,170,171 times
Quote:
Very few of the people I know spend at their income level. Most live very far under it. I would estimate most people I work with save over six figures a year.

It's a combination of low wages at the start of their careers (which we became accustomed to living at) and a past history of an unstable industry that lends itself to layoffs.

You position yourself to weather the downturn by saving in the good times. I've found over time, even while making the most money we've ever made in our lives/careers, we are spending the least amount. A combination of debt payoff and getting rid of things we don't really need like cable TV etc. has allowed our monthly bills to continually be reduced.

Man most people you work with save over $100k/yr that's impressive. I would think your average family would need to be clearing $300k+ to make this happen.

Old 03-08-2017, 11:09 AM

5,265 posts, read 6,410,278 times
Quote:
Healthcare deductions
401k and healthcare deductions lower your actual taxes and even if they don't because you get nailed by the AMT, they are not even taxes. They are savings and should be counted as part of your savings you do each year.

Old 03-08-2017, 12:21 PM

26,194 posts, read 21,601,431 times
Quote:

Well deductions including 401k is a terrible way at looking at your net pay in your bank account because they are afterall savings. My fed tax rate is in the low teens, FICA is under 7.65% so my tax bill is right around 20%
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance