Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2017, 01:26 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,782,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
I would call IRS and ask if they sent the request.
I did call and they did confirm they sent the letter. It did look suspicious to me. Why would they ask for a hard copy of an electronically filed 1040? But they confirmed they sent the letter and they want what they asked for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2017, 01:31 AM

OP here.
I am now thinking the IRS is viewing my 1040 as possibly fraudulent. Our refund is way more than the tax we owe, which is an odd situation, but is my fault as I way over-paid the pre-payments. I estimated those based on a 25% bracket but we dropped into 15% when we retired, which saved us a ton of taxes.

Old 04-08-2017, 09:31 AM

6,636 posts, read 7,372,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
I did call and they did confirm they sent the letter. It did look suspicious to me. Why would they ask for a hard copy of an electronically filed 1040? But they confirmed they sent the letter and they want what they asked for.
I have had some experience with the IRS over the years and have no idea why they would ask for copies of the first two pages of your return. I assume they could print their own copy just like you can. And when you print your copy it will not be signed so I do not see the point.

I would send them the copies but not sign since they did not ask you too. Just do the minimum that they ask and nothing more.

Old 04-08-2017, 10:09 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,516,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
Did you call the number on the letter, or did you independently find the number to call? I agree it sounds hinky to me. Did you try googling the number on the letter?

Old 04-08-2017, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
Did you call the number on the letter, or did you independently find the number to call? I agree it sounds hinky to me. Did you try googling the number on the letter?
I did google it and it led to a business called "Nigerian Hackers, LLC".

Actually the letter had my SS number in it, and the address I was asked to send the copy of my return to is the IRS office in California ( I googled that). But I could have been talking to someone bogus, although I had to be on hold for 30 minutes for that privilege and go through numerous menus to get to a real person. I think the letter, and the phone call, were legit.

Old 04-08-2017, 11:11 AM

777 posts, read 1,876,132 times
The letter should have a notice/letter number. To verify, go to https://www.irs.gov/individuals/irs-...ividual-filers

Old 04-12-2017, 03:25 PM

OP here.

I found out what the problem is. Turbo Tax filled out the 1040 incorrectly. The info is correct but TT put it in the wrong box on the 1040. It totally confused the IRS when they got it.

The problem is, I cannot get TT to do anything. The on-line version has no way to fix it that I can see and I cannot find an email address to ask TT. I posted a question to their community but nobody replied.

Old 04-12-2017, 04:19 PM

777 posts, read 1,876,132 times
Often, the company-specific Twitter provides prompt and accurate service. You might try reaching out to https://twitter.com/teamturbotax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance