Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2017, 09:15 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,587,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemonswastaken View Post
A is not even close to contributing 1/4 of the expenses.

House payment is expensive and B was looking for a roommate and A decided to be the roommate.

B had the car long before A moved in.

B could not afford much of anything which is why B was looking for a roommate.

This is why b shouldn't have an expensive car payment
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2017, 09:17 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
Quote:
B has teenagers that will be going to college in 5 years.

How does it make it fair that the person with kids pays all the household expenses? Especially when the other person makes twice what the other person makes?

Person A has significant income with no bills. Not even rent now apparently.

Person B has a low salary and all the expenses with no money to spare. Which B was putting up with up until this morning when A complained B does not pay when going out. Not because B does not want to, but because B is completely out of money. I am sure A has plenty of money sitting in their account.
Are you serious? They are YOUR KIDS. YOUR HOUSE.

How is it your boyfriend's fault that you are over your head in your big house and expensive car and two teenagers and their needs?

Come on, now.

Old 04-21-2017, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Mortgage $1689
Electric $300
Gas $50
Water $30
Trash $25
Cable & Internet $120

so 1/4 is $554. per month. So when the kids move out his share should increase?
Yes, when the kids are gone, and the only two people residing in that house are the two of you, he should pay half.

In ANY roommate situation, I would not want to pay for half of a house if there were four people living there.

Old 04-21-2017, 09:22 AM

Quote:
I would have thought it should be just A & B sharing expenses and not the children as they have no income.
They are not his children.

Old 04-21-2017, 09:23 AM

28 posts, read 18,973 times
The house is not big. The car payment is $300. So large for me but not large in the terms of other car payments.

Thank you. I will just bit my tongue and just keep paying the bills. I will just honestly tell him I can't afford to go out and will stay home. The house is my responsibility for sure. But I was hoping a roommate would be a help and not another dependent. My mistake. Hopefully he won't resent me not paying if I am not costing him more when he goes out.

Old 04-21-2017, 09:29 AM

Quote:
But I was hoping a roommate would be a help and not another dependent.
How is he a dependent?

I fail to see how he isn't at least helping out in some way if he is paying rent and buying groceries.

Make him pay the rent or ask him to leave.

Old 04-21-2017, 09:30 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,055,061 times
My head hurts. Is 'A' a roommate, FWB, husband, perma-fiance?

Old 04-21-2017, 09:32 AM

28 posts, read 18,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Yes, when the kids are gone, and the only two people residing in that house are the two of you, he should pay half.

In ANY roommate situation, I would not want to pay for half of a house if there were four people living there.
I would agree if all four roommates contributed, but two are completely dependent. A already knew B was struggling to pay all the expenses.

When a couple discusses marriage, one does not expect that one party wants to be a mooch, even though they have substantial income to cover their expenses and much more.

Old 04-21-2017, 09:35 AM

Quote:
I would agree if all four roommates contributed, but two are completely dependent. A already knew B was struggling to pay all the expenses.

When a couple discusses marriage, one does not expect that one party wants to be a mooch, even though they have substantial income to cover their expenses and much more.
Those are not his kids. It doesn't matter if they can't pay up. You are their mother, and therefore responsible for their care.

Sorry, but I believe you've got the mooch under the wrong letter.

Old 04-21-2017, 09:37 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,587,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Those are not his kids. It doesn't matter if they can't pay up. You are their mother, and therefore responsible for their care.

Sorry, but I believe you've got the mooch under the wrong letter

I don't know how you got that when that's certainly not how the expense flow is being split
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance