Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 10:53 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,829,559 times

Advertisements

I am in IT, my boss today told me that they are hiring someone in India to help me out with IT work, and wants me to train him.

Do you know where this is going? Anything can be done to stop it?

I am probably getting paid way too much comparing to an India worker, but look how much stuff are costing here. An IT person in India probably living in luxury, while I am no where close to it. Is this so called globalization?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2017, 10:57 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,427,482 times
Nope. Nope.

Sounds like they're cheap bastards, though. Sorry to hear it.

Old 06-22-2017, 11:03 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,995,844 times
I would not worry about it because Trump is bringing all the jobs back to America.

Old 06-22-2017, 12:22 PM

61,768 posts, read 87,244,588 times
Perhaps they hire someone in India to cover customer service 24/7? (Different timezone?)

Old 06-22-2017, 12:27 PM

9,872 posts, read 7,750,913 times
Shoot. Happened to a friend. Company owner hired 2 experts from out of state to upgrade his operation, one in IT and one in production. They bought homes, moved their families cross country. After one year the owner hired interns to assist them, a month later both professionals were fired and the cheap interns took over.

Did you ask for help? If so, you're probably okay. If not, might want to start looking for a new position just in case.

Old 06-22-2017, 12:40 PM

6,627 posts, read 7,353,656 times
You have a few options but they all have risks.

You can start looking for a job. This is probably the best option with minimal risk to your current position.

You can tell your boss that you are concerned that two IT people not be able to keep busy and you would like to know what additional work is coming into the department and you would like reinsurance that your job is not at risk. Problem is he could tell you anything and speed up your departure so this depends on how well you get along with your boss and his ethics.

You can say you are resigning unless you get an employment contract. Probably a bad move.

Old 06-22-2017, 12:43 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,016,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnetworking View Post
I am in IT, my boss today told me that they are hiring someone in India to help me out with IT work, and wants me to train him.

I am probably getting paid way too much comparing to an India worker, but look how much stuff are costing here. An IT person in India probably living in luxury, while I am no where close to it. Is this so called globalization?
Yep, Same thing happened to me last year.

Had to do three months of "knowledge" transfer, There were three on my team, two of us were given packages (Layed off) after it was done.

One Guy was left (he had 1 year till full retirement), Said the Indian "Subject" matter Experts could not think outside the box, wanted to work from scripts and flow charts to fix system problems.

He retired at end of April, Have heard from colleague who is still there a simple problem that should take maybe one hour to fix, took Five day for the "Subject Matter Experts" to solve.

I guess just hope you get a good package when you leave, Start saving your dollars, and start looking around for a new job, and go before it all hits the wall and you have to take the blame, and fix it all.

Old 06-22-2017, 02:11 PM

718 posts, read 1,150,554 times
Get yourself ready. Make yourself very useful and valuable to the company. If you're not, why should they keep you. It's business.

Reminds me of my stints at a few companies, where the IT folks had to train their Indian counterparts, before they got kicked out. I was a free-lance consultant at the time, so had no stake in it anymore. Still, it made me feel angry.

Anyway, at the first company I saw this happen in 1991, the employees meekly took it and trained their Indian counterparts, until they were laid off. Sad.

At another company where the stunt was pulled, I saw the employees actually sabotaging the jobs, the processes and teaching their Indian counterparts all the wrong things?! It was hilarious! The Indian counterparts were so confused and couldn't figure things out. Eventually, they wised up and started learning on their own. But that took a while. About a year before the lay offs started.

Me, I saw the train wreck coming and bolted. Became a free lance consultant in application development. Developed several new skills. Best thing I've ever done. BUT, you really have to know your stuff and keep up-to-date on technology. And know how to sell yourself. Work with the right IT agents. Network with the right managers at various companies. You'll be a better person for it. You're in IT. Technology is constant change. The learning never stops. You have to stay competitive.

You know what they say - "If you're given some lemons, make some lemonade!"

There's never been an easier time to study applications development. Unlike other IT skills, applications development (or similar) is usually in demand. You can even work 2 jobs and some free lance work.

I hope these help:

Nice site for free learning - https://software-carpentry.org/lessons/

for learning Python, Javascript, Java, HTML 5 & CSS :
https://www.codecademy.com/
or
https://www.codeschool.com/

for learning Microsoft technologies - https://mva.microsoft.com/

for learning Google technologies - https://developers.google.com/

for general Education from some of the best universities in the world - https://www.edx.org/

Or, if you're a good learner, try learning programming on the Mainframe. This will be much more difficult.

Can the mainframe remain relevant in the cloud and mobile era?
Why it's time to learn Cobol
https://www-03.ibm.com/systems/z/edu...e/contest.html

I'm sure younger developers will laugh derisively. But think about this: 70% of the world's computer transactions are still done on the mainframe in the background. Somebody has to enhance and maintain them. Most of the mainframe developers are retiring and dying off.

The good younger developers (Americans) are not interested in learning about the mainframe. They like the bright and shiny technologies. The latest and greatest. Yet, in India, China and Latin American, they're learning mainframe programming. Go figure. Will supply and demand kick in soon?

Old 06-22-2017, 02:29 PM

13,131 posts, read 21,021,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnetworking View Post

Stop complaining! American workers in manufacturing and administration have had this happening to them for decades and nobody really gave a hoot. Many people didn't care so long as it meant a cheaper Iphone, or cheaper Play Station, or cheaper Samsung TV, or cheaper headphones, or cheaper........ After all, it was just those labor workers so no big deal. Now, oh my god , the sky is falling because it's now hitting the loafer and craft beer crowd. Well, guess what, we still don't care. If shipping your job to India saves me one penny, enjoy unemployment!

Old 06-22-2017, 02:50 PM

18,123 posts, read 15,704,019 times
Play the game as best you can, update your resume and start looking elsewhere. It's important to understand what options are available for you in the marketplace. If your gut is telling you something's up, listen to it and proceed accordingly. I would not engage in any talks with your boss about "what's really going on here?" You're not likely to get a candid answer. Quietly and privately start looking elsewhere for a new job is my best advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance