Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 09:19 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,675,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
Seen the mansions in CA that burn.. I dont shed a tear at all.. now they know how it feels to be homeless and lose everything in flash. But to most will only be a day or 2 before they go and buy the next big house and not worry about what they actually lost.
Ouch.

No, I do not feel this way. There is a difference in your attitude and mine...

We had family members affected by Harvey and the earthquake in Mexico City. In both cases they are rather well-to-do people and in both cases they were unable to return to their homes. The former was destroyed by water and the latter was deemed too compromised to inhabit. What they have in common is that they each had family to rely on and will have funds to recover albeit not quickly (certainly not in 2 days). They'll be okay. They'll move on. But in the meantime it created a tremendous amount of chaos in their lives and especially in their children's. Commutes to and from work tripled, kids had to miss school.. or switch schools. They lost their stuff and their routines and any parent knows how awesome that is...

I don't know. I think it's a pretty insensitive perspective you've got there. I wish none of this stuff happened to anyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2017, 04:47 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,916,897 times
Im not cold hearted, and i dont wish bad things to happen to those that didnt deserve it. I am bias against those that really didnt do a dm thing to earn their millions. It was all handed to them, no work involved. Just because you have it, and earn it doesnt mean you need to spoil your kids with it. Make them go out and earn it just like you did.

Old 10-19-2017, 06:10 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,675,377 times
Quote:
Im not cold hearted, and i dont wish bad things to happen to those that didnt deserve it. I am bias against those that really didnt do a dm thing to earn their millions. It was all handed to them, no work involved. Just because you have it, and earn it doesnt mean you need to spoil your kids with it. Make them go out and earn it just like you did.
So some people deserve earthquakes, floods and fires and some don't?

Old 10-19-2017, 08:09 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,721,342 times
Quote:
how does any of that hurt you? why do you care if some people received millions of dollars without earning it? why shouldnt they "spoil" their kids?

Old 10-20-2017, 05:37 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,563,639 times
Quote:
I think I see the issue.

You some how are equating how folks earn money with their character. I know just as many jerks with out of control kids that are construction workers and I know young adults who had advantages and opportunities due to their parents income that are wonderful, well adjusted, give back to their community & extremely appreciative

You seem to think that because a person inherited wealth they sit around eating bonbons all day. Now once again I can't speak to the uber 1% of the world. If you're dad is the Sultan of Baharain maybe you do, do nothing but most folks who inherited wealth work extremely hard and no their kids are not slogging through life in construction but it doesn't mean they are not working. No I did not have to worry about where my next meal came from nor how to pay the mortgage but I assure you I am not spoiled.

Anybody notice the stereotypes that surround folks. If you're poor and on welfare= you're lazy and just want to live off the government. then if you inherit money and are wealthy = you're spoiled and selfish.

Now hopefully if God is willing my sons won't inherit a huge sum of money until they are old themselves, which means I've lived a long time but if whatever they inherit allows THEIR kids to go to college without loans, buy a nice house to live in, go see the world outside of where they live. I'm extremely happy. If it allows them to retire at 50 instead of living hand to mouth until 70 waiting for social security. Yes I'm going to "spoil" them and since they are already well adjusted, great young men, I see no reason not to.

The object is to make each generation better, not have a race to the bottom.

Last edited by eliza61nyc; 10-20-2017 at 06:03 AM..

Old 10-20-2017, 09:01 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,721,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
You seem to think that because a person inherited wealth they sit around eating bonbons all day.
and if they did sit around eating bonbons, would that matter? does working make us better people? i understand that working often develops certain aspects of a person's personality but i dont think it makes you a good person. disliking someone simply because they never needed to work a job seems like 100% jealousy. "i have to work so that person should have to work also."

Old 10-20-2017, 09:07 AM

1,387 posts, read 1,073,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Since it starts with poor parenting, I'm not quite sure how you go about it.
A first step might be to have people understand that "poor parenting" isn't the problem. That's just another phony label for shirkers and deniers to hide behind

Old 10-20-2017, 09:18 AM

1,387 posts, read 1,073,215 times
Quote:
Im not cold hearted, and i dont wish bad things to happen to those that didnt deserve it.
Ah, just to those you deem to deserve it. And anyone who has not suffered the same slings and arrows of outrageous fortune as you have, definitely deserves it. Who do they think they are, anyway?

Old 10-20-2017, 09:49 AM

4,663 posts, read 4,553,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17thAndK View Post
A first step might be to have people understand that "poor parenting" isn't the problem. That's just another phony label for shirkers and deniers to hide behind
What would you say is the problem then? People aren't born knowing the steps to be successful. They need role models, and the adults who usually have the most influence on kids from the beginning are going to be their parents.

Old 10-22-2017, 06:26 PM

15,253 posts, read 12,977,625 times
The guy who was filling the propane tank on my RV the other day told me something that made me laugh. He said, "I love the rich. I've never gotten a paycheck from a poor person."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance