Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 09:11 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,671,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Being born rich is a responsibility. I see no reason to be biased against that person.
This is true. Nobody is born knowing how to manage wealth regardless if they inherited it at a young age or came into it on their own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2017, 09:13 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,544,097 times
Quote:
Being born rich is a responsibility. I see no reason to be biased against that person.
so what are they responsible for?

do you feel bad for them if they lose their money? why would you feel bad if they gain more?

Old 10-17-2017, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
When time permits I hope some will take the opportunity to watch 'born rich',(Jamie Johnson) it's a documentary that compliments some of the view points here.
The creator of this documentary is himself from a prominent family...And in his own way has questioned the choices and standards set upon the wealthy. I admired his tenancity to expose the reality of this cloistered existence....
Some of the young and rich really are arrogance to the tenth degree.
So if you get the chance...Watch it. It's worth a penny of your time

It's an accomplishment in navel-gazing and that's about all.

Old 10-18-2017, 08:23 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
Let's see...

-Doesn't respond to questions
-Doesn't handle the arguments or supportive details

Finding: Dropped on head in infancy -or- Jackasse

Interpretation: Ignore. Ignore. Ignore.
i think that this isnt a conversation that you should be having with me. it would probably be more appropriate for a licensed professional.

Last edited by CaptainNJ; 10-18-2017 at 09:12 AM..

Old 10-18-2017, 08:33 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
Quote:
There is no "noblesse oblige" anymore.

Old 10-18-2017, 08:58 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,562,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
There is no "noblesse oblige" anymore.
Actually I think there is but I think it's two other things, one on both sides of the coin.

1) Seems like we are more "showy" now. Especially with the uber rich, they use to quietly donate and support stuff. Now everyone seems to want "acknowledgment" for every thing.

and on the other side...

2) This expectation that you have to help in a manner I see befitting. Remember a while back when Oprah was the first to give away a new car to her audience. lol, she got a lot of criticism because it was only a "ford" and she could afford to give away luxury cars. WTH?? I live in Philly and they just instituted a new tax on sugar drinks. soda, gatoraide, propel, any thing with sugar added. 1.4 cent an ounce. it supposedly goes to paying for pre-k for the poor. of course there was a huge controversy and it's still in the courts but I remember a women saying to me, "what's the problem, you can afford it". oh ok, so because I can afford it that means I want my taxes to go up?? but there is this "expectation" that because the wealthy have money they can pay more and it not affect them.

Old 10-18-2017, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i think that this isnt a conversation that you shouldnt be having with me. it would probably be more appropriate for a licensed professional.
*ignore*

Old 10-18-2017, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
Actually I think there is but I think it's two other things, one on both sides of the coin.

1) Seems like we are more "showy" now. Especially with the uber rich, they use to quietly donate and support stuff. Now everyone seems to want "acknowledgment" for every thing.

and on the other side...

2) This expectation that you have to help in a manner I see befitting. Remember a while back when Oprah was the first to give away a new car to her audience. lol, she got a lot of criticism because it was only a "ford" and she could afford to give away luxury cars. WTH?? I live in Philly and they just instituted a new tax on sugar drinks. soda, gatoraide, propel, any thing with sugar added. 1.4 cent an ounce. it supposedly goes to paying for pre-k for the poor. of course there was a huge controversy and it's still in the courts but I remember a women saying to me, "what's the problem, you can afford it". oh ok, so because I can afford it that means I want my taxes to go up?? but there is this "expectation" that because the wealthy have money they can pay more and it not affect them.
So you don't like taxes. You don't want to pay taxes.

Well, that's how most tax payers feel.

Old 10-18-2017, 09:25 AM

1,387 posts, read 1,072,389 times
If you grow up around rich kids (as in before someone teaches you to hate them), you'll develop an empathy with them, just as you would in growing up around black or hispanic or any other kind of kids.

Old 10-18-2017, 10:03 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,299,963 times
I don't care if someone comes from a rich family but I think it is pretty lame when people try to use money as the sole measuring stick for success. Some of the wealthier people I know have an attitude that personal accomplishments need to be monetized in order for them to be considered worthwhile. I attribute this to their own insecurity regarding their abilities to do things other than just being rich. It is absolutely human nature for an individual to adopt a values system that prioritizes characteristics in which they excel. For example, professional athletes will often base a large part of their self worth on how well they play a game, musicians will value their proficiency with an instrument, and academics like myself will value our contributions to our field of study. Because money can buy so many things, SOME wealthy people adopt an attitude that the values such as the ones I described earlier(athletics, arts, intellectual pursuits, etc) don't really matter unless they contribute to the bottom line. If money is all that is important, being rich obviously lets that person rank themselves very high up on the pecking order.

I find people, rich or poor, who are obsessed with money to be incredibly boring, and the act of creating things to be far more important that the capacity to acquire things. I understand that my values are based to some extent on my own socioeconomic status where I don't have to worry about being poor or affording basic necessities yet I have no career aspirations of becoming mega rich either. I am very happy that my parents encouraged me to follow a career that allowed me to do what I love rather than chasing a bigger paycheck, although I recognize that I might feel differently if following my passion led me to homelessness rather than my dream job of being a science professor at a great university.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance