Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2018, 03:24 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
That's my point. It's simple math. By definition if I am compounding a larger amount my wealth is going to grow exponentially more than someone that can only invest a small amount each year. Even if the person that invests the small amount actually gets much better returns each year (which almost certainly isn't plausible).
Right. and how it this harming anyone?

If we could extract the jealousy out from the conversation, I am having difficulty focusing on what harm this gap causes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2018, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
yes it is... because they can't live off of basic income with how low it is

if they could live off of that little amount, they would be fine living off the minimum wage, but they don't because they can't
Who can't?

If you live in a low COL area, then a Minimum-Wage income is enough to support a family.

Old 04-16-2018, 07:35 PM

10,759 posts, read 5,676,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
Our economy is the aggregate goods and services produced and purchased. How the money (wealth) from this activity lands in one person's lap vs another depends on policies/laws... how the "game" is structured.

A lot of people "earning" $100M/year are not doing anything productive. They are merely using the rules of the game to extract wealth from the economy and put it in their accounts. Who do you think that $100M is being extracted from? Even if they were doing something productive, was their contribution worth the amount they extracted?
What a wonderfully naive view of how the wealthy make money. Simple wealth extraction? LOL!

What do you think would happen if the wealthy withdrew all of their capital from the market and went full on Gault? Yeah, the economy would suck really bad really fast.

Old 04-16-2018, 10:35 PM

5,668 posts, read 6,596,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Why would I care?
You claimed that the riches of the wealthy don't negatively impact anyone else. That is definitely not the case.

Old 04-16-2018, 10:44 PM

5,668 posts, read 6,596,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
What a wonderfully naive view of how the wealthy make money. Simple wealth extraction? LOL!
It's become much more common. The wealthy make money however the system lets them. Prior to the 70s it was primarily via investment in capital and infrastructure, and laws were designed to ensure that demand (consumer wages) was high and profits would be reinvested in production. That's how a capitalist system operates efficiently and sustainably. In the last 40 years there has been a radical shift.

Old 04-16-2018, 10:48 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,878,536 times
This is a worldwide issue and 90 percent of the world is way way worse then USA.

Old 04-17-2018, 06:07 AM

Quote:
You claimed that the riches of the wealthy don't negatively impact anyone else. That is definitely not the case.
No, I dont think I did. I am not claiming anything.

I have repeatedly asked a question though.

If we can remove the jealousy from the discussion, what impact is there?

Old 04-17-2018, 06:15 AM

106,680 posts, read 108,856,202 times
There are always the gloomers and those who did not do well financially who always see being successful is at the expense of those who are not.

You can bet most of those complaining did not do well and belive their own bull.

Old 04-17-2018, 07:28 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,254,863 times
Quote:
Who can't?

If you live in a low COL area, then a Minimum-Wage income is enough to support a family.
Wow are you ignorant.

Old 04-17-2018, 02:05 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,170,143 times
Quote:
Who can't?

Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
Wow are you ignorant.
No, you are.

Not only does someone earning minimum wage recover all of their federal taxes paid, they also get a $6,444 bonus if they have 3 children.

The fact that some people insist upon living in a high Cost-of-Living area and refuse to move to an area with a lower Cost-of-Living is not reason to condemn the system.

Even Homo Erectus was smarter than those people.

Quote:
I think a UBI would achieve this reasonably well, and would be simple and efficient.
You couldn't afford it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics