Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Well?
Not at all any more, or rarely 94 34.06%
Occasionally (eg monthly bills) 131 47.46%
Frequently 38 13.77%
other (explain) 13 4.71%
Voters: 276. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 05:04 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,214,576 times

Advertisements

With so much online and popularity of debit cards, online banking etc it seems these are becoming almost obsolete. I very very rarely use them. You?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2009, 05:11 PM

1,845 posts, read 6,856,577 times
I write a check once in a while. Usually their is a couple of utility bills that I pay by mailing in a check. Just a few days ago I paid my state tax bill by mailing in a check. I don't use checks as much as I used to before the days of debit cards.

Old 03-03-2009, 05:16 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,628,834 times
I write maybe two or three checks per month. I pay the majority of my bills online and use my debit card when shopping. I do pay my water bill with a check every month, but only because I pay it at the drive-thru window.

Old 03-03-2009, 05:16 PM

1,142 posts, read 2,816,724 times
I write checks all the time. I may sound old saying this, but I just don't like using another card to buy things with. Already have all those grocery store cards, credit cards, membership cards, etc. Plus it helps me keep better track of what I am spending.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:44 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,538,091 times
Maybe 6 - 8 a year, total, for just a few bills that a check is the best solution, and gives me a canceled check as proof of payment for tax purposes, such as property taxes.

Old 03-03-2009, 09:21 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,470,206 times
Two bills a month and then various kid's school related things that are pretty much check only.

Old 03-04-2009, 04:21 AM

7,474 posts, read 22,885,783 times
I write a couple a year, four at the very most. Occasionally you have no choice, but checks are pretty much obsolete. I imagine when most of us old coots die off, everything will be electronic, but some people won't change their habits..
As far as vehicle registration , property tax, utility bills, doctor bills, etc., all of those kinds of things can be paid online. The DMV and County Tax all have online sites where you can pay without getting out of your chair..!
I can pay every bill I have faster than I can write one check, lick, and stamp, and adding the trip to the mail box, checks are extremely slow.
Sometimes we send a relative money, we just set them op for online banking. If I purchase something online from a private party, set them up with your online account, and cancel the account after the check clears. It takes seconds.
I can't think of anything you can't pay with online banking, and you can track everything instantly online. I haven't balanced a check book in several years. There is no need too when you can go online at any time and see exactly where you are down to the second, including scheduled bill payments.
I believe people who still write checks suffer from fear of something new. If they were to become familiar with online banking, they would never write another check.

Old 03-04-2009, 04:41 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,718,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
I believe people who still write checks suffer from fear of something new. If they were to become familiar with online banking, they would never write another check.
If you lived somewhere where consistent electricity isn't always the norm and the banks computer's are sometimes down for whatever reason, I can assure you that you might have second thoughts about online banking! Cheers!

Old 03-04-2009, 05:52 AM

485 posts, read 1,455,667 times
I write 6-8 checks per month. I pay my water and utilities with a check and drop in the drop box at utility. I also belong to several organizations for which I have to pay dues or class enrollment fees. No way to do that on line. I had to renew my passport last month so had to write a check for that. I use credit card for groceries, restaurants, etc but pay CC bill on line. If the CC companies have their way though I may have to go back to checks and cash because I am hearing that they don't like customers like me who don't carry a balance and therefore don't pay any interest. I'm not a big fan of auto pay where the amount is just debited out of your account without any action by you. Guess I like control too much.

Old 03-04-2009, 08:34 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,244,818 times
I've spent $10,000.00 in the last five months buying stuff to work on my home and and paid most in checks and some cash.... Lowes and McCoys didn't mind at all me giving them checks...I do not have a debit card and as of today I've never needed one....And it has nothing to do with fear...LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance