Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 11:32 PM

15 posts, read 211,214 times

Advertisements

So I saw unusual charges (again) for my debit card that appeared recently and called the bank very much intending to put in a request to dispute a claim. I was about to got through the process when it FINALLY clicked as to where the charges were coming from and felt like a total idiot. I asked the lady from bank of america to stop the process and explained that I figured out where they were probably coming from and that I messed up and was sorry (yes yes I am an idiot in real life thanks). I told her I wanted to make sure though so did I need to call her back if I discovered that the charges were from where I though? She said only if I still wanted to file the claim. She was in my account and she said she made note of the dispute I almost filed and I was fine with her doing it because I have nothing to hide and it was a mistake .
So long story short I figured out where the charges for the 30 bucks were coming from and it meant that it wasnt someone stealing my card.

That is the good part. The bad part (and where my question comes in ) is this :

A while ago I made DID end up filing a claim because I honestly did not know where those unusual charges were from (same ones as these but in the past not recent). I'm pretty sure the bank gave me back my 30 bucks and I havent heard from them on this since. I didn't end up calling back because she said I didnt have to and she asked for my phone number and I gave her my personal cell. I figured since she was in my account she obviously could have seen the previous claim there and since she made note of this recent one its all okay and will be handled. But do I have to call back and check anyways because they gave me back the 30 bucks from the previous 'unusual charges' that I finally figured out where they were coming from ?? I don't want to be accused of trying to 'rob the bank' and it was all a huge misunderstanding on my part!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2013, 11:37 PM

10,049 posts, read 18,083,414 times
Of course you should give them back the money since it was YOUR mistake. You really have to ASK?

Old 06-12-2013, 11:44 PM

No! I'm not asking if I have to give back the money!! I /dont want the money/. I'm wondering if it sounds like (from what I wrote) that the situation will be handled because she made note of the fact that I didn't file the claim. =( Thinking more about it I do not think it will be. I should have probably told her more clearly what occurred. I will call back tomorrow in the morning to make sure they know exactly what is going on.

Old 06-12-2013, 11:45 PM

Also will there be any legal ramifications for me? I really really did not do this on purpose and I will obviously be calling back now since I'm thinking I wasn't clear on what occurred. But am I going to get in trouble over this?? Will I have to pay back more or something? ? It was a huge mistake but it wasn't done maliciously.

Old 06-12-2013, 11:57 PM

Also sorry for not making this clear

Old 06-13-2013, 10:31 AM

10,049 posts, read 18,083,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseO View Post
No! I'm not asking if I have to give back the money!! I /dont want the money/. I'm wondering if it sounds like (from what I wrote) that the situation will be handled because she made note of the fact that I didn't file the claim. =( Thinking more about it I do not think it will be. I should have probably told her more clearly what occurred. I will call back tomorrow in the morning to make sure they know exactly what is going on.
You are asking if "the situation will be handled." Well, yes, it will be handled. That's an odd question (maybe English isn't your first language?). Did you mean "will it be handled this way as opposed to that way?" Did you mean "will they take it further" even after you told them you did NOT want to file the claim? Can't answer that -- only BofA can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseO View Post
Also will there be any legal ramifications for me? I really really did not do this on purpose and I will obviously be calling back now since I'm thinking I wasn't clear on what occurred. But am I going to get in trouble over this?? Will I have to pay back more or something? ? It was a huge mistake but it wasn't done maliciously.
I'm not a lawyer so I have no idea. Call them back IMMEDIATELY and explain the situation and how you made the same mistake (the mistake they already know about) on an earlier charge too (which you disputed) and you now want to clear it up. It was only $30!

I am sure this is not the first time BofA has someone call back to say "sorry, that WAS a legitimate charge, my mistake." Just do it -- I think you are stressing WAY more about this than you need to, and you'll feel much better after you call them and realize it was just a mistake, not a huge deal. (Again, I'm not a lawyer and am not giving you legal advice.)

Good luck, and let us know what happens, OK?

Old 06-24-2013, 09:14 PM

I called back and was told it was fine and that the 30 bucks were taken out of my account. My heart almost stopped when they said any fees that had to be paid would be taken out of my account and she didnt tell me how much that would be BUT I asked like as soon as she stopped talking and it was zero fees ! thanks!

Old 05-03-2017, 06:06 PM

1 posts, read 18,832 times
Default Banking with Bank of America

I Have been with Bank of america for 20 years.When I first started it was use your money pay a fee.Than I got direct deposit , Government job and it stopped. than I started getting it right.When I quit the banking is getting tight.

Old 10-05-2017, 09:32 PM

1 posts, read 15,904 times
So I was in Atlanta for 2?weeks,I left my debit card and credit card in my room. I took cash because i didn’t want to go over my budget. To cut it short, I received an email in the form of an atm receipt saying that 100 dollars has been withdrawn. Immediately I check online banking and realize that over the two weeks I was away from home there were atm withdrawals of over 10,000. I called the bank about a week now and they haven’t said anything to me. I called the police and they haven’t updated me. I am so worried. What should i do?

Old 10-06-2017, 04:34 AM

106,724 posts, read 108,913,061 times
for starters stop carrying and using a debit card . they can be so much more trouble than credit cards and fall under different laws. using debit cards as credit cards are never a problem resolving frauds -until they are .

you get those who argue this all the time because next day the money is returned . but that is not always the case and it can be a tough fight at times trying to get your own money back .there are some real horror stories out there from those who got burned and were denied reimbursement because the circumstances looked questionable in the banks opinion or you did not cross all the T'S and dot the I'S .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance