Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2018, 08:42 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,579,426 times

Advertisements

One thing the vast majority of credit union users are totally unaware of is cross collateralization. If you are a credit union user and do not know what this is you should take some time to read up on it and understand it. It can be a nasty surprise if you fall on hard times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2018, 08:50 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,445,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
What's so great about USAA? Their credit card and loan rates are higher than you can find at a bank/cu.
Nothing. Their insurance is now not competitive and their online banking and other financial services have always been subpar. I use a big bank and have for decades...they have much better resources and combined with linking accounts offer superior benefits.

I can see if you just have a few thousand in assets a CU might work for simpler stuff.

A nasty surprise with a large CU used for employees at my 120,000 headcount company is if you have any outstanding loans and are laid off they instantly become callable. Pretty messed up. There goes your house, your car, etc!

Nope!

Old 03-30-2018, 08:51 PM

17,709 posts, read 29,812,481 times
Default Bank?

Not me.
I use a credit union.
51 years and counting with same one: DCU.org

Old 03-30-2018, 10:32 PM

1,265 posts, read 1,422,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
One thing the vast majority of credit union users are totally unaware of is cross collateralization. If you are a credit union user and do not know what this is you should take some time to read up on it and understand it. It can be a nasty surprise if you fall on hard times
This is a good point, and as someone who worked in a collections department of a credit union as my first CU job, I can attest that this comes as a surprise to people who take out loans where they have their primary checking account.

I personally never have my loans where I have my primary deposit accounts, and I never have multiple loans with one institution. It's not like there's a volume discount or anything...

Old 03-30-2018, 11:38 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,641,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Just don’t file bankruptcy and this is moot.

Old 03-31-2018, 02:43 AM

106,646 posts, read 108,790,719 times
we use chase and are satisfied . banks have always been pretty transparent in our lives . we just have no issues that make one better than the other except for the perks they offer us.

Old 03-31-2018, 04:48 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,579,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Just don’t file bankruptcy and this is moot.
It’s not just a bankruptcy issue. And being a better informed consumer is never moot

Old 03-31-2018, 04:52 AM

divorce-illness-job loss are all part of life . some of us stand up to it better than others .always knowing the ramifications to things never hurts , like cross collateralization.

it may not even involve bankruptcy . it applies to anytime you have more than one loan at a credit union .

" If a person pays off the car loan and wants to sell the car, the bank may veto the deal because the car is still used to secure the home loan and other loans"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross-collateralization

Old 03-31-2018, 12:39 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,758,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phx1205 View Post
I think in the last 12 months I’ve been inside a bank once, maybe twice. Everything is direct deposit, mobile transfer, or ATM. So I couldn’t care less what my bank scores.
If your bank is of the glorified piggy kind, then you're right. Very few people can do without a bank account, but very few need more than a sort of uber-ATM.

But if you ever need service from your bank - something beyond transactions that can be done by an ATM or online portal - it will matter.

I just had a complicated mess with financing a car for one of my kids, and frankly, my (new with the relocation) bank fell flat on its face in the service department. They've been fine in all those remote/money/savings/transaction ways... but somewhere between incompetent and 'officious turd' when a little individual help was needed.

Which means I will be moving on, and I am glad I only had my daily accounts there - I was maybe a month from moving the big stuff over for convenience. Frankly, I am used to banks where people come out from behind the desks to say hello, and if I have a problem, one of them at the VP level gets on the phone and applies their weight to it. Not being treated like a Walmart employee cashing their paycheck.

Old 03-31-2018, 12:59 PM

that is why we like chase . i let them baby sit an etf i own and we get a chase private client account . lots of cool perks with it plus an assigned account executive to deal with any issues . . we have the same set up at fidelity where we are private access clients .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance