Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2018, 09:54 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,378,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Are you sure she was mentally healthy?
That's what I think also. It is possible she lived with her mother, her whole life, because she had some problem. Mental illness, undiagnosed on the autism spectrum, bipolar disorder, something that hindered her ability to get a stable job. Perhaps nobody wanted to say what it was. It's good she at least had someone to take care of her. If she had wound up outliving her mother, that would have put her on the street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2018, 02:57 AM

45,366 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamTheSchmuck View Post
I doubt she was mentally healthy. Disabilities can be invisible and often go undiagnosed.

If she's dead, no reason to chip in for her burial. I believe our taxes pay for that. Sorry to hear of your loss.

Where do people get these kind of beliefs? No, taxes don't pay for that. Often a local church, if it's a smallish town, will cover the basics.

Old 06-06-2018, 04:11 AM

17 posts, read 15,929 times
I had to leave the house to drive up to the burial. I had to throw half of the money for the expenses related to her death and one of her sisters paid the second half. It cost us about $4500 for the whole thing. So the fact that Jan, the broke sister, died penniless hurt her relatives financially.

No, she did not have a secret bank account or credit card with an available balance. She did not have money in her wallet. She had nothing and had not worked for about ten years and got no government benefits other than Medicaid. The taxpayers spent about a million dollars to keep her alive.

Old 06-06-2018, 04:27 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,259,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Your concern for the credit card companies is touching.
If $40,000 was borrowed then it should be paid back.

Old 06-06-2018, 04:38 AM

7,184 posts, read 9,315,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
People say that it’s sad when someone dies penniless. I say it’s efficient and perfect timing.
^^^This.

Spend all your money and avoid the siblings fighting over your estate.

Old 06-06-2018, 06:11 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,935,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rarely leave the house View Post
I had to leave the house to drive up to the burial. I had to throw half of the money for the expenses related to her death and one of her sisters paid the second half. It cost us about $4500 for the whole thing. So the fact that Jan, the broke sister, died penniless hurt her relatives financially.

Sorry for the loss of your Sister-In-Law, and for the financial burden the deceased's absence of planning placed on her surviving siblings.

As I have posted before, I can see this happening multiple times (up to four) with my wife's family and maybe once with a Sister on my side.

I believe SS pays out only around $250 for funeral expenses.

Old 06-06-2018, 07:39 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 6 days ago)

35,624 posts, read 17,953,728 times
Quote:

No, she did not have a secret bank account or credit card with an available balance. She did not have money in her wallet. She had nothing and had not worked for about ten years and got no government benefits other than Medicaid. The taxpayers spent about a million dollars to keep her alive.
Well, at least she's dead, so there is that.

???

Old 06-06-2018, 08:00 AM

13,714 posts, read 12,427,493 times
Quote:
So far the people responding are talking about the people they know that are poor, NOT WITHOUT A PENNY TO THEIR NAME.

My sister in law had absolutely nothing when she died, not a single asset other than old clothes. NOTHING!

Do you know anyone over the age of 40 without a penny to their name?
The only ones that I know of have been addicts living off of others or homeless. This person sounds like a child. Her mother certainly infantilized her til the end.

To your point, people that leave the world with a negative net worth, a bankrupt estate, etc...that's more common. But at least, they tend to be somewhat self sufficient adults with housing, a vehicle, etc...

I think there are more people like this than we realize. I have a neighbor like that, she's older than I am, doesn't work, doesn't drive (I don't think,) lives at home. I give her the benefit of the doubt and assume an invisible illness (Epilepsy or something.)

Old 06-06-2018, 08:40 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,957,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
I'm dealing with this situation for a relative who lived their entire adult life irresponsibly, then they got sick. No savings, no assets, hundreds of thousands in medical bills, over $40K in unpaid credit card & bank loans, utility bills, etc., etc. Their attitude is exactly what you describe. They consider themselves "judgement proof" as though it was a good thing! Their words of wisdom to me were "it's a good thing I kept my powder dry all this time so I can still file for bankruptcy"

I wouldn't help them out. You're a better person than I.

Old 06-06-2018, 08:55 AM

17 posts, read 15,929 times
She did have a negative net worth at the end because she owed about $40k in credit card bills. About 8 years ago we visited her at her mother's house and there was a knock on the door. She answered the door and a process server gave her a subpoena to show up at court about a credit card bill. She laughed at the whole thing and said it was a big joke because she was judgment proof. No money, no job, no assets. Though she did have a good time with the various vacations and fancy meals out she had before they closed her accounts.

She wasted a million dollars in taxpayers money for the end of life medical surgeries in and out of the ICU while on Medicaid. And to think people were crying at her funeral.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance