Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2018, 04:15 PM

3,677 posts, read 2,562,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
Ahhh haa cause you dont want to answer because I’m my alternate scenario it is clearly unfair
again, please go back and read. I've answered it. twice. you keep trying to assign some kind of grade school "everybody" should get a star mentality to it.

That's called "entitlement" was it fair?? yes, everyone got what was gifted to them. was it equal, no it was not. for some reason in your make believe scenario the person who left the inheritance felt that one should be awarded more. their money, their rules.

lol, maybe this was their attempt to teach them a valuable lesson. Life ain't fair be grateful for what you got.

Old 08-03-2018, 04:22 PM

7,687 posts, read 5,122,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
again, please go back and read. I've answered it. twice. you keep trying to assign some kind of grade school "everybody" should get a star mentality to it.

That's called "entitlement" was it fair?? yes, everyone got what was gifted to them. was it equal, no it was not. for some reason in your make believe scenario the person who left the inheritance felt that one should be awarded more. their money, their rules.

lol, maybe this was their attempt to teach them a valuable lesson. Life ain't fair be grateful for what you got.
I disagree.

Leaving no reason when there isn’t one to give one kid %84 of an inheritance and the other 16% is GROSSLY unequal and will cause bitterness.

It’s not right

Old 08-03-2018, 04:25 PM

10,363 posts, read 7,990,783 times
Quote:
It’s not entitled. Ok I’ll put a twist to it.

Two daughters. No grandkids.

250,000 to one and 50,000 to the other.

No loans. No grudges. Similar salaries. Good relationships. No other issues.

Fair??

I think absolutely not
This example shows the heart of the problem: you think the grandkids' inheritance money rightfully belongs to their parents. It does not.

Old 08-03-2018, 05:18 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,637,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwalkr View Post
Inheritances bring out the best in some of us it seems.
My dad avoided at least some of this issue by having trusts that clearly spell out what the deal is, while he is living, and also with significant wealth it's good to start some of the wealth transfer while you're alive. There are a lot of ways to do estate planning that make more sense than just dumping the money once you die, though of course that assumes a much higher than $300K net worth. Like my dad says, though, at least there are no surprises the way he has things setup, everyone knows where they stand, which isn't a bad thing.

Old 08-03-2018, 05:20 PM

3,677 posts, read 2,562,078 times
Quote:
I disagree.

Leaving no reason when there isn’t one to give one kid %84 of an inheritance and the other 16% is GROSSLY unequal and will cause bitterness.

It’s not right
So let me asked, who are you going to be bitter to? The dead relative? The sister who through no fault of her own got more? What if she graciously offers to give the other more, is the still bitterness??

Old 08-03-2018, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
So let me asked, who are you going to bitter to? The dead relative? The sister who through no fault of her own got more? What if she graciously offers to give the other more, is the still bitterness??
The dead relative. In the 250k/ 50k scenario that is a clear gross unequal event

For my original post its not the kids fault.

Old 08-03-2018, 05:57 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,591,383 times
should have just given it all to the ASPCA so as to not have a fairness issue. Wouldn’t you be better off then?

Old 08-03-2018, 06:08 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 9 days ago)

35,634 posts, read 17,975,706 times
Quote:
Ahhh haa cause you dont want to answer because I’m my alternate scenario it is clearly unfair
The alternative scenario IS unfair, westcoast. If neither daughter had any children, it would be unfair to divide it giving the lions share to one daughter, all other things being equal.

But that's not the way it is. She wanted to give each of her heirs the same amount of money. And that is SO FAIR.

You have a blind spot here.

So here's this story. I'll try to make it brief. I knew these three girls who shared an apartment in college. They went shopping the first weekend and bought a ton of stuff, and one girl wrote the check for all of it, and they were to figure out the costs and pay her back what they owed when they got home. Most of the food was communal, and they would split the food bill 3 ways. One girl bought several personal items - some make up, and she stuck them in the cart too. So the check writer said we'll pull those items out of the total bill, and you can reimburse me for them, and then reimburse me for 1/3 the food items. Denise, the makeup buying girl, did NOT get she owed $15 for her makeup and then $40 for her 1/3 of the food. She kept saying why aren't they dividing the whole bill in 1/3, because after all, her share of the whole bill came to significantly MORE than the $15 for makeup. Why, she was asking, did she have to pay for her makeup TWICE? This fight escalated, so we all could hear it next door.

This is exactly how I feel right now, reading through this thread.

Denise didn't get it, she had a blind spot. And so do you. Maybe someday you can put this bitterness aside and be grateful for your mother's generosity and wisdom.

Last edited by ClaraC; 08-03-2018 at 06:20 PM..

Old 08-03-2018, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
The alternative scenario IS unfair, westcoast. If neither daughter had any children, it would be unfair to divide it giving the lions share to one daughter, all other things being equal.

But that's not the way it is. She wanted to give each of her heirs the same amount of money. And that is SO FAIR.

You have a blind spot here.

So here's this story. I'll try to make it brief. I knew these three girls who shared an apartment in college. They went shopping the first weekend and bought a ton of stuff, and one girl wrote the check for all of it, and they were to figure out the costs and pay her back what they owed when they got home. Most of the food was communal, and they would split the food bill 3 ways. One girl bought several personal items - some make up, etc. So the check writer said we'll pull those items out of the total bill, and you can reimburse me for them, and then reimburse me for 1/3 the food items. Denise, the makeup buying girl, did NOT get she owed $15 for her makeup and then $40 for her share of the food. She kept saying why aren't they dividing the whole bill in 1/3, because after all, her share of the whole bill came to significantly MORE than the $15 for makeup. Why, she was asking, did she have to pay for her makeup TWICE? This fight escalated, so we all could hear it next door.

Denise didn't get it, she had a blind spot. And so do you. Maybe somehow you can put this bitterness aside and be grateful for your mother's generosity and wisdom.
Don’t argue that with eliza about the 250k/50k

Old 08-03-2018, 06:22 PM

Denise lacks intelligence

In my first scenario on a family level, it is grossly unequal.

$215,000 to $86,000

There’s no denying that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance