Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2018, 04:42 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,125,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
no , no one else is telling me i am wrong . you are the only one trying to argue something which is never a point i implied-the end
Post 182, 183 the same page as your statement alone!.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2018, 04:46 PM

106,643 posts, read 108,790,719 times
Yeah ,that post relates to my experience in pa. So what is your point

Old 09-27-2018, 04:50 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,125,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Yeah ,that post relates to my experience in pa. So what is your point
Annnnd I'm done:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
)

accept that costs of living is relative and your attempt at making it simplistic in order to support your viewpoint is a farce, and a complete
Failure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
(.
)

I don't really care that you cannot accept that, just like you won't accept all the other people telling you your wrong.

Old 09-29-2018, 08:25 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,538,920 times
since i dont want to respond to the argument above...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOKEAF234 View Post
yea it definitely depends on what city your in. I Live in kansas city and 50k here would be a nice chunk of money
yay for random post quote... the $50k/household really depends on how many people it takes to make that $50k.

if it is a single earner with a stay at home partner, the stay at home partner is the "luxury" they are buying so factor in that additional income and they could be a $100k/household but choose to spend half the income to be at home for whatever reason, raise kids or school or anything

if it took two people earning $25k each, well, two low earners are still going to be poor, they are having to pool their resources so this $50k/household would be poor

Old 09-29-2018, 10:33 AM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
since i dont want to respond to the argument above...

yay for random post quote... the $50k/household really depends on how many people it takes to make that $50k.

if it is a single earner with a stay at home partner, the stay at home partner is the "luxury" they are buying so factor in that additional income and they could be a $100k/household but choose to spend half the income to be at home for whatever reason, raise kids or school or anything

if it took two people earning $25k each, well, two low earners are still going to be poor, they are having to pool their resources so this $50k/household would be poor
If your household brings in the national median income, then your household is NOT 'poor'. You are average.

It makes no difference if on person earned that level of income or if it took six people to earn that income. When looking at income per household it no longer makes any difference how much an individual makes.

Old 09-29-2018, 10:35 AM

34,230 posts, read 18,571,948 times
It depends where they live, and how much wealth, and assets they already own.

Old 09-29-2018, 11:39 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
If your household brings in the national median income, then your household is NOT 'poor'.
You are average.
They can be both 'poor' locally and 'average' nationally.
Just as some will be almost wealthy (locally) and 'average' nationally.

Weren't all these possibilities discussed at the start of this thread?

Old 09-29-2018, 01:14 PM

2,432 posts, read 2,690,587 times
Iv lived in two states now and wouldn't consider a $50k income poor in either one unless they cannot manage money well.

Of course the budget is more for some locations and to low for others.
$1000 a month for rent mortgage is quite high in certain areas. I previously lived in a medium sized nice town in Ohio where a very nice home rented for well under $1000. Getting an apartment for $300-600 a month with utilities normally included. My husband and I, no kids, spend roughly $250 a month for groceries. This was in Ohio and now in Florida. I also consider someone who can pay all their bills, have some fun money to enjoy and still save $500 afterwards is doing quite well. So many do not save that each month.

For us, that income is not poor. It wouldn't be enough(or would be a struggle) for those who have a lot of debt, cannot manage money well, tend to overspend or live in high cost areas.

Old 09-29-2018, 01:40 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,538,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
If your household brings in the national median income, then your household is NOT 'poor'. You are average.

It makes no difference if on person earned that level of income or if it took six people to earn that income. When looking at income per household it no longer makes any difference how much an individual makes.
no, but between your six people in a household of $50k, it is not likely one of those six has good financial skills to get out of their situation unless it is a specific case of 6 college students rooming together

6 poor people will stay poor, a household with 1 earner making the median household income while one partner stays at home is in a better situation because they have a specific goal for that other non-working partner

Old 09-29-2018, 01:55 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
I have had tenants who were Chinese immigrant families, with the highest wage earner in such a family making Minimum-Wage. In one specific case, at the end of three years as tenants, they were able to move out of my building, and into a house that they had bought for themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance