Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2018, 06:48 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppiesandKittens View Post
Do a retirement calculator and see for yourself. There are plenty available online.
I already did one for this exact couple a while back and posted it somewhere. It seemed doable to me based on the information given. Check my posting history if you really want to know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2018, 06:57 PM

804 posts, read 545,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
MSN article about a couple who retired early in their 30's. Man was an engineer and wife was a project manager. https://www.msn.com/en-ca/money/pers...cid=spartandhp

Hoping there will be an article about a couple who retired in their 30's that either worked at Wal-Mart, Home Depot, or Applebee's. Seems that only Engineers can retire in their 30's.
An engineer in what? What at Microsoft??

My sister worked as a project manager. She came from a Masters Background in business. So what was hers?

SOooooo???? what kind of place are they living in? A town house which is a one bedroom studio? A big mansion or basically somewhere cheap. Honestly they do not really sound like they are doing anything at all but burning time. If they were really retiring I would assume they would have a pension.

Old 12-16-2018, 06:58 PM

1,279 posts, read 853,049 times
Also, they run a blog that generates $57k per year. So they work. Likely not much, but running a blog is a “job”.

Old 12-16-2018, 07:13 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
Also, they run a blog that generates $57k per year. So they work. Likely not much, but running a blog is a “job”.
Just another variation on the "they're lying" argument. These folks typically don't make money on their blogs until after they retire. It typically takes them several years for their blog to make significant money. Lots of bloggers don't make anything or very little.

Old 12-16-2018, 07:33 PM

5,342 posts, read 6,167,667 times
Quote:
He says that he’ll have $200k available in 19 years to pay.

Full-pay tuition today is already $250k. College has more than doubled in price over the past 20 years.

So he’ll likely have only a fraction of the tuition available.
Lol, assuming their kid has to go to a private ivy for school is a bit of a false narrative. The state school in my State is less than 1/3rd that for all 4 years and that assumes you live on campus all 4 years, which is more expensive.

Old 12-16-2018, 07:36 PM

13,656 posts, read 9,714,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
If my stash was 10 million (which it isn't) the dividends from taxable accounts alone would knock me out of any ACA subsidy threshold.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Exactly . It already knocked me out of the park when I was 62-65 and I don’t have 10 million dollars
That's exactly the point that I've been reiterating. No matter how frugal one is, even a few million in a taxable account - if completely left alone! - will break through the ACA subsidy-ceiling, from dividends alone, never mind capital gains (from turnover in the subject funds).

The trick is to so arrange one's finances, that the bulk is in a tax-advantaged account (ideally, Roth IRA). If we're talking about multiple millions, this seems to be possible only if there's enormous growth within the account, relative to the actual contributions that were made. Barring such a trick, we're going to be stuck with (1) a lifetime of taxes, and (2) a lifetime of non-eligibility for subsidized healthcare, at least until reaching age 65. And if the tax-advantaged account is a traditional 401K or traditional IRA, then we face (3) a tax avalanche, in the form of RMDs, at age 70... but at least then, we can enjoy the ACA subsidies.

Bottom line: shove those nickels into a Roth IRA or Roth 401K... and hope that the invested money really burgeon. Otherwise, the tax man cometh....

Old 12-16-2018, 09:10 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,575,805 times
Quote:
He says that he’ll have $200k available in 19 years to pay.

Full-pay tuition today is already $250k. College has more than doubled in price over the past 20 years.

So he’ll likely have only a fraction of the tuition available.
You're wrong again.

1. It says right there in the quote I made that he's calculating it in inflation adjusted dollars.
2. Avg cost for year of college is 20k public, 47k private (tuition, room, board) source = https://www.collegeraptor.com/find-c...sts-2017-2018/

Quote:
YOU map out their financials. Then come back to me. Don’t take what they say at face value without verifying it yourself.
He's got pretty detailed answers to all your questions on his blog. You're the one saying he's lying without having bothered to investigate, so the burden is on you to prove otherwise not me.

Quote:
He (not they) writes one post per week, but it's irrelevant to our discussion whether one considers that a job since we're disagreeing on your claims that he's living in poverty, lying about his net worth, not caring for his family, can't afford to pay for their college, etc. whatever other unfounded BS you're slinging because his life doesn't conform to your world view.

Old 12-16-2018, 09:14 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,542,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
You're wrong again.

1. It says right there in the quote I made that he's calculating it in inflation adjusted dollars.
at least in the us, college is one thing that increases faster than inflation... so not sure using "inflation" as an adjustment works for college tuition

but his kid is foreign too, and college in other countries is cheaper, doubly so if he is paying for it with american dollars

Old 12-16-2018, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
That's exactly the point that I've been reiterating. No matter how frugal one is, even a few million in a taxable account - if completely left alone! - will break through the ACA subsidy-ceiling, from dividends alone, never mind capital gains (from turnover in the subject funds).
Are you sure? The ceiling for subsidies is 400% FPL which for 2018 is about $64k. Depends on how you're invested but I think it's possible to have 60k income from 3 million in taxable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
The trick is to so arrange one's finances, that the bulk is in a tax-advantaged account (ideally, Roth IRA). If we're talking about multiple millions, this seems to be possible only if there's enormous growth within the account, relative to the actual contributions that were made.
Not everyone needs millions and millions of dollars. A couple who've built up a million taxable, a million tax-deferred, and 200K in Roths could retire quite comfortably (depending on their spending habits) while taking advantage of ACA subsidies.

Old 12-16-2018, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
at least in the us, college is one thing that increases faster than inflation... so not sure using "inflation" as an adjustment works for college tuition

but his kid is foreign too, and college in other countries is cheaper, doubly so if he is paying for it with american dollars
He uses the inflation rate of college tuition specifically. Here's a chart from his blog that compares the two rrates of inflation:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance