Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2019, 04:22 PM

15,609 posts, read 15,743,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questions and Comments View Post
Currently, my wife and I eat out at regular restaurants about 4 times a week. On average we spend about $25 a meal per person, so that would equal about $200 a week for both of us.

After looking at our credit card bill for eating out, we asked each other if it was really worth it. My wife asked how much would each of these $25 meals cost if we cooked them and bought the food at the grocery store. (Equal quality food and ingredients) Is it worth the hassle to eat at home for most of our meals to save money? We eat out so we have more variety in our food, etc.

Let's say having that meal that costs us $50 combined at home costs us $10 from the grocery store. So we would save about $160 a week. If we invested that money saved in the Stock Market over a five year period how much would we have?
In my experience, most people don't dine out four nights a week, and most people don't consider it a "hassle" to eat at home. If you want more variety in your food, why don't you try giving each other cookbooks for the next few times that you're exchanging presents?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2019, 06:37 PM

26,199 posts, read 21,682,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Cici's pizza has all-you-can-eat buffets including drinks for $7.38 per adult.

It’s also very subpar food

Old 07-31-2019, 08:04 PM

12,064 posts, read 10,314,812 times
do you drink alcohol with the meal? Maybe cut that out? Heck even just having water saves you some bucks.

Old 07-31-2019, 08:25 PM

315 posts, read 215,368 times
Is it just me? or is this just another 1st world problem...?
Complaining about large portion sizes at restaurants?????
If they won't let you doggy bag...then what about taking a friend or kids,etc. and buy just 1 portion
to split among all of you?...or... GASP!. what about just eating it all by yourself and your companion?
BTW,I NEVER eat out,and rarely buy cooked food,take out or have delivery...and frankly;within reason ,I'd prefer quantity of food over quality of food if were to call myself frugal.

Old 08-01-2019, 09:00 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,283,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNSLPPTSO13 View Post
Complaining about large portion sizes at restaurants?????
I have two issues with this. One- it's a money grab. The overhead- rent, utilities labor, etc.- increases very little on larger serving sizes so any markup you add for a bigger quantity of food is pure profit. (This is also why most restaurants won't allow you to order from the Kid's menu or the Senior menu to get smaller portions unless you're the appropriate age.) Two- many people just eat what's one their plate so it contributes to the obesity epidemic.

You can share an entree but sometimes they charge for that. Some things, as I mentioned earlier, don't reheat well or you're traveling and can't store them safely.

Old 08-01-2019, 09:22 AM

27,693 posts, read 28,800,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
It’s also very subpar food
Well, people need to find a middle ground.

And I think $200 a week all year long dining out is a little excessive for most people.

Still, it depends on how a person likes to spend her money...

Old 08-01-2019, 10:10 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,817,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNSLPPTSO13 View Post
im not sure how to take that. we live in the first world so that is the problems that we are going to have. are you saying that only people living in 3rd world countries can complain about things?

im not on board with a complaint about large portions though. im always happy to take home some leftovers.

Old 08-01-2019, 10:17 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,817,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Well, people need to find a middle ground.

And I think $200 a week all year long dining out is a little excessive for most people.

Still, it depends on how a person likes to spend her money...
the OP really hasnt given us enough info to make suggestions. everyone knows that not eating in restaurants would save a good amount of money over home cooking. but if the OP is saving plenty of money and is happy eating out 4 times a week; no need to change anything.

i guess some people really like an all you can eat pizza buffet for $7 but that sounds like about the worst restaurant dining option out there.

Old 08-01-2019, 12:50 PM

12,064 posts, read 10,314,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
the OP really hasnt given us enough info to make suggestions. everyone knows that not eating in restaurants would save a good amount of money over home cooking. but if the OP is saving plenty of money and is happy eating out 4 times a week; no need to change anything.

i guess some people really like an all you can eat pizza buffet for $7 but that sounds like about the worst restaurant dining option out there.
and as long as they resist the urge to splurge at the grocery and then just waste all that - good for them

Hey and if they want to waste grocery food store also - oh well.

Old 08-01-2019, 11:42 PM

1,003 posts, read 1,204,263 times
We are both retired (17 yrs) and eat out at least 4x a week. My husband does not know how to cook and at 87 has no intention of learning. I've been cooking for almost 50 yrs and am sick of cooking!

We live in Florida. They have happy hour at most restaurants. Its not just drinks but food for $5.00 and beer and wine 1/2 price.

Thats what we do. We each order a entree and a beer and wine and have a nice time. It gives us the chance to talk and relax and I don't have to cook. I don't have to buy groceries for a weeks worth of meals and the labor to cook them.

I'm 70 and so sick of cooking, especially for two people. So for us, especially me, its worth the money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance