Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2019, 09:04 PM

2,194 posts, read 1,142,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_Native View Post
This is the first time in history anyone wrote or said these words.
Actually, I've seen it several times in many of these forums when this topic comes up directly or round-a-bout. Personally, I wouldn't say I "despise" eating out, but I find myself disappointed with the meal/experience more and more often these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2019, 11:07 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,641,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsuperfly View Post
As a homebody, I take a little umbrage in the idea that you can't enjoy yourself at home, and it's a pointless life. To each his/her own.
I’m with you! I prefer being home by far most of the time, but I do enjoy eating out because it’s nice to get some awesome food. Maybe if I was most people I wouldn’t but I need the calories and there’s nothing that great you can make at home unless you’re a pro chef. I am fine with my frozen dinners, cereal, protein shakes, etc. most of the time but I love a good, big meal sometimes and need the extra calories.

Old 07-31-2019, 12:20 AM

23,326 posts, read 18,890,074 times
Huh. It wouldn't be much of an investment strategy for me...I hardly ever eat out. Sometimes get a meal at a restaurant with a take out menu or grocery store deli if I've been running errands and don't want to cook, but that's it. Not that I have anything against eating out, it just doesn't occur to me. I'm not a cheapskate, just easily contented with simple food even an idiot can prepare.

Old 07-31-2019, 03:00 AM

106,750 posts, read 108,937,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
I’ve spent roughly the same for my wife and I
same here .. we eat out a lot . it is part of our lives and we enjoy it.... nyc has so many restaurants you can go 23 years eating out every day and never repeat. plus each year start over because so many close and new ones reopen .

Old 07-31-2019, 04:38 AM

1,205 posts, read 1,972,590 times
My wife and I usually eat out a couple of times a week, but only to be social. 3 years ago we decided to get healthy, eat right and exercise. Part of that was not eating out as much. Restaurant food can be delicious and we do enjoy it, but long term it is very hard to eat healthy out. Stuff that you think is healthy has a boatload of hidden calories. To counteract that we, eat very healthy all week and splurge a bit on our nights out.
It probably helps that I'm not a fussy eater and my wife has created some pretty good recipes that are healthy and delicious. We usually make some stuff to freeze so that we're never caught without a meal and HAVE to go out. lol. Not going out as much is a great way to save money and has other benefits. The downside is that a lot of socializing is food centered and you don't want to end up hermits either.

Old 07-31-2019, 04:50 AM

3,602 posts, read 2,311,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empidonax View Post
I agree with this approach. It's important to save money and reduce expenses that don't fulfill you, but all the same, don't let life pass you by as you build wealth.

I have lunch out 1-2 times per week, and keep the cost low. My husband and I have 2-3 meals out per week (1 breakfast, 1 dinner, and 1 other meal with friends), and try to aim for restaurants that cook things that we cannot do (or do well) at home. For us, good food is a priority. We don't buy lots of clothes, accessories, furnishings, electronics, appliances, and such, so we focus more on the stuff that really matters to us.
We just got home from having a quick meal out. It is our day that we do the afternoon school run for DD and take the kids to soccer training. If we came straight home, the traffic would result in the trip taking an hour. So we have a quick meal and get home in literally half the time, just after peak hour. Then relax.

We normally are out another night a week with friends and also are out separately at least twice a week for lunch.

I really try to make this the limit. Not for the cost but for health reasons. I find it absolutely impossible to keep to a healthy diet if we are constantly eating out.

Old 07-31-2019, 05:09 AM

290 posts, read 250,474 times
Would I consider eliminating meals out?

Already have. The proliferation of tip jars and tips "conveniently calculated" already in the total, along with increasing prices have driven me back home.

With my BBQ, or my smoker, or the oven/stove in the house, we can match almost any restaurant meal, at least as we see it. And we can watch TV, set the temp how we prefer, take as long as we want, and not listen to dimwits playing on their phones or arguing with kids.

Meals at home are simply more enjoyable than dining out. Here are some of the reasons:

#1: While having a (quiet) political discussion, we angered the waitress apparently. The rest of the evening we were treated to malevolent glares, and our plates roughly slammed on the table. It was obvious, since no other diners were treated this way.

#2: After standing in line at a BBQ restaurant (not a sit down place), we were presented with a big screen to sign, in front of all the others in line, which included a large tip already. To remove it, meant puzzling out their UI, and holding up the line. This attempt to shame/hurry us into the tip worked -- once. Hope the extra 5% was worth losing a customer. We won't be back.

#3. At a sandwich shop I frequent, I found -- yet again -- a tip jar prominently placed in front of the cash register. Again, this is a place you stand in line to order, pick up your own food, and bus your own table. I refuse to tip in such a place, and refuse to return to the obvious "we're about to fix your food, shame if somethin' hadda happened to it cuz you didn't tip, bro." Again, last trip there.

#4. Out running errands and realized too far from the house and hungry. Dropped into another sandwich shop. Ordered their regular, with fries and a bag of potato chips. $11.20. Seriously. I'm not going to pay more than a sawbuck for a sandwich and potato chips. This was a national chain I liked, but -- again -- won't be back.

#5. Stopped in McDonald's, figuring at least it's cheap. Found the bathroom floor recently mopped and so soapy I had to cling to the fixtures to stay upright. On the way back to the counter I (politely) told one of the kids bussing tables. His response was literally the following words: "Why should I give a sh*t?". Time to leave. And time to stay gone.

Maybe at really expensive restaurants the treatment is better, but I've never had a $100.00 meal. I've spent that much, but never worth it. So this old couple have retreated to our own house, and our own RV when traveling. Other than subsistence food when absolutely necessary (away from the house) I have no intention of eating at restaurants. It's just not worth it anymore.

Old 07-31-2019, 05:22 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,272,243 times
I checked what I've spent on restaurants- under $700 this year. Some of those were with the guy I'm dating but we alternate picking up the check- the extra cost of his meal is offset by meals that I have that he pays for that aren't in the $700. So, not that much to save. Some were also "on the road" when traveling so eating out was a necessity.

I'm also not thrilled with restaurants, their giant portion sizes and the ever-increasing "suggested" tips. (SOME things can be taken home for another meal but what if you're traveling?) I'm practically vegetarian and want to avoid mass quantities of cheese, meat, fried foods and breads, and that's a lot of what restaurants serve, although they're getting better at vegetarian meals. I enjoy making and eating most of my food at home.

Old 07-31-2019, 06:27 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,438,836 times
I've spent a whopping $200 on restaurants this year not counting the occasional sandwich from the grocery store when I don't have lunch. Most of that comes from going on long bike rides and needing lunch 1/2 way through.

Old 07-31-2019, 06:46 AM

456 posts, read 349,087 times
I have no idea what we've spent on eating out vs. eating in. Both are part of my grocery budget line item. As long as the total is good, I'm happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance