Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2019, 03:51 AM

107,030 posts, read 109,313,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Pricey? Not really. $25 a person is diner/family restaurant level eating at pretty much the bottom of what is available around here.
we went to blue bay diner on frannie lewis and the LIE , if you know where it is .... it was my wife , daughter and a 2 year old . we got 3 grilled cheese and fries and one kids meal .. with a tip it was 70 dollars. that is about as low as you can get without going fast food.

the typical dinner when my wife and i go out is about 70-80 for the two of us and we are not big eaters . we share an appetizer and dessert if we get ..... if we go for steaks it can be a few hundred ... we are headed to peter lugar for her birthday next week .

Last edited by mathjak107; 08-02-2019 at 04:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2019, 04:32 AM

1,205 posts, read 1,976,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
we went to blue bay diner on frannie lewis and the LIE , if you know where it is .... it was my wife , daughter and a 2 year old . we got 3 grilled cheese and fries and one kids meal .. with a tip it was 70 dollars. that is about as low as you can get without gong fast food.

the typical dinner when my wife and i go out is about 70 for the two of us.... if we go for steaks it can be a few hundred ... we are headed to peter lugar for her birthday next wwek .
Being from Vermont, any time we visited NYC we were always shocked by the prices. We've eaten at some landmark restaurants to say we did and some were good and some just ok. Paying $9 for a baked potato to go with your $50 steak and $15 asparagus spears seems a bit much for me. Add a cocktail or two and you're into a meal with tip for 2 of us way over $200. The only one that really was worth it to our group was Carmine's. The food was awesome and the presentations amazing. We make it a point to visit there every trip as it has never disappointed.

I can see why you need a boatload of money to live or retire there. It shows that everything is relative. Rich in one spot is poor in another.

Old 08-02-2019, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoonalt View Post
Being from Vermont, any time we visited NYC we were always shocked by the prices. We've eaten at some landmark restaurants to say we did and some were good and some just ok. Paying $9 for a baked potato to go with your $50 steak and $15 asparagus spears seems a bit much for me. Add a cocktail or two and you're into a meal with tip for 2 of us way over $200. The only one that really was worth it to our group was Carmine's. The food was awesome and the presentations amazing. We make it a point to visit there every trip as it has never disappointed.

I can see why you need a boatload of money to live or retire there. It shows that everything is relative. Rich in one spot is poor in another.
we went to the blue hill at stone barn on the Rockefeller estate ... we waited a year for a reservation and had to take a wed at 5pm .

dinner was 550 without wine and 850 with wine paring .. it was fabulous and took 4 hours . it is the kind of thing we would only do once though .

https://www.bluehillfarm.com/dine/stone-barns

Old 08-02-2019, 04:42 AM

6,794 posts, read 5,678,284 times
I think everyone has done this once or twice in their lifetimes. Considering how much we eat out as convenience. Most don't take the money saved and invest it in the stock market, most simply move that money to another expense.

Eventually, the Culinary arts (chefs) will be in high demand as the art of cooking, at least for most will have been lost. Sure, we will always be able to heat something up from the grocery or follow some directions from a box but cooking, cooking from scratch is becoming a lost art.

Old 08-02-2019, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
I think everyone has done this once or twice in their lifetimes. Considering how much we eat out as convenience. Most don't take the money saved and invest it in the stock market, most simply move that money to another expense.

Eventually, the Culinary arts (chefs) will be in high demand as the art of cooking, at least for most will have been lost. Sure, we will always be able to heat something up from the grocery or follow some directions from a box but cooking, cooking from scratch is becoming a lost art.
before i remarried 90% of everything i ate came through the drivers side window . if that window ever failed to open i could have starved .

Old 08-02-2019, 10:00 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,809,831 times
Quote:
we went to the blue hill at stone barn on the Rockefeller estate ... we waited a year for a reservation and had to take a wed at 5pm .

dinner was 550 without wine and 850 with wine paring .. it was fabulous and took 4 hours . it is the kind of thing we would only do once though .

that place looks interesting. i wonder if there is something like that closer to me.

Old 08-02-2019, 12:39 PM

1,880 posts, read 2,251,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoonalt View Post

My wife loves VT. We did a family trip to Stowe, VT and tried a number of farm to table restaurants...many of which were at the actual farm. We happened to stumble upon the British Car Invasion and enjoyed the local farmers market.

In reference to your comment, I rarely order a steak at a restaurant because I simply don't find it a good value and I'm seldom satisfied with the result. I've got a sous vide, a kamado grill, and generally prefer to smoke my proteins. Restaurant Week is the best time to visit NYC if you're a food tourist with a reasonable budget. I have to ask....did you order the Tug Boat or the Titanic at Carmine's? We say a kids soccer team destroy two of them.

Old 08-02-2019, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
that place looks interesting. i wonder if there is something like that closer to me.
they have a place in manhattan

Old 08-02-2019, 12:55 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,809,831 times
Quote:
they have a place in manhattan
id rather drive up there than manhattan. i have a general rule against going to manhattan for leisure activities unless its something for my kids. sometimes ill go on the chase experiences page and id love to do a restaurant activity but they are always in manhattan. i get it but it sucks for me.

Old 08-02-2019, 11:32 PM

1,003 posts, read 1,203,958 times

You drove from Manhattan to Westchester? We lived up the road from Stone Barns. Pocantico Hills.
We've been in Florida for 7 years and there is no food like NY restaurants. Loved Stone Barns, ate there many times and never had a problem getting a table, but that was back 10 yrs ago.

Oh, how I miss NY!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance