Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2022, 06:20 PM

26,456 posts, read 46,720,489 times

Advertisements

I bought a house in 2019, I was lucky enough to get in a desirable area before everything escalated to the moon due to WFH as I live in a semi-rural township that is 35 minutes away from the city. There is no way I would pay the real estate prices as they are now, and probably wouldn't be able to buy another house in the zip code I live in ever again. Luckily, there are somewhat cheaper zip codes a few miles away once I profit from the sale of my house in 5-10 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2022, 06:42 PM

41 posts, read 24,550 times
Here in central FL I am living off around 35000 a year. How ? Living a very modest life style. No car or CC payments. Total expenses come to around $1100 monthly. That includes everything except edibles.Rent is about 22% of my gross monthly income. I rent from a private landlord who has not raised my rent in 3+ years. A nice manufactured house but it suits my needs. Just a matter of living within your financial means.

Old 01-10-2022, 07:27 PM

480 posts, read 318,698 times
Austin/ Round ROck TX is one of the fastest growing areas in the US.

Prices reflect that.

Get a job with the Fed Govt, and you can make bank after a few years.

Old 01-10-2022, 09:21 PM

7,423 posts, read 4,201,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BalloonLady View Post
This describes a few of our friends who are still working

1. Roommates (2 roommates is becoming common).
2. Under 10 min commute to work
3. Shop thrift stores. People don't look as stylish as they used to
4. Perk their own coffee (many of the morning drive-thru coffee shops closed up)

9. Cook at work. My friends building comes with a kitchen so he "crockpots it" while at work to have
lunch to eat all week. Often it is cheap, but healthy, soups
10. Eat out less with co-workers
I agree with your total list. It's saves money, but it's all round better.

My kids each have a roommate. It working out well. In fact, when my vaxxed kids had covid, I was glad someone else was round.

I'm shopping thrift stores for all our new house accessories. I purchasing 1940's bathroom items like toilet paper holders, towel racks, soap dishes, guest towel rings, mirrors, etc. It's better to buy used and save something from a garage dump. New purchases are usually from China. It adds to our trade deficit and its not as well made.

My kids have fancy espresso makers which are cheaper and better than a cup of Starbucks.

Lunches from home are usually better than any store brought food.

With covid, few people want to eat out anymore.

While it's hard to live on $40,000 per year, it can be done! My kids are in Washington DC and Pittsburgh, PA. It's easier in Pittsburgh, but it's possible in DC with a roommate.

Old 01-10-2022, 09:55 PM

6,390 posts, read 4,858,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BalloonLady View Post
This describes a few of our friends who are still working

6. Vehicles under 10k. More are buying with cash not trapped into a monthly car payment & buying hybrids (1/2 solar/1/2 gas)
Which vehicles are 1/2 solar? First time I've heard of this.

Old 01-11-2022, 06:59 AM

16,731 posts, read 8,438,003 times
I feel it really depends on where you live...I live in Boston which is crazy expensive but I wouldnt be surprised if there are people in their 20's and beyond making 40k or not much more than that.

I was actually thinking yesterday that it feels like our society has become VERY money driven and it's kind of sad. Most people I know don't want a job that isn't going to make them somewhat wealthy. I know few people that become teachers or social workers anymore. Boston has very high salaries though so that's mainly what i'm exposed to. Seems like everyone around me has money falling out of their pockets.

Old 01-11-2022, 08:39 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,175,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
Not bragging. Trying to show that the younger generation that is entering the workforce or looking for a starter home in my area now has to dish out 500k for a house that costed me 170 nearly 5 years ago.

It shows how the world and policies are making it more difficult for the next generation to obtain the middle class home ownership status.
Maybe in the Austin area but certainly not everywhere. People also don't have to buy a big "starter" home. Whatever happened to 1200 square foot starter homes? Smaller master baths? Kitchens that don't have huge center islands. Living areas without tall vaulted ceilings. That sort of thing.

A few months ago I bought a 2200 square foot house in my area (near Dallas but not in Dallas) for $265,000. It's not a starter home - I bought it mainly for the resale value long term and at my age (59) I have bought and sold many homes over the decades (my starter home was about 1300 square feet). I wasn't about to shell out $500K for a house. I sold my $500K home by the way, with a swimming pool and an acre sized lot and a nice shed and a pergola and all that, in a gated community, in three days. Glad to get rid of it and glad to get rid of such high utility bills and property taxes.

Old 01-11-2022, 08:48 AM

31,341 posts, read 14,346,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Maybe in the Austin area but certainly not everywhere. People also don't have to buy a big "starter" home. Whatever happened to 1200 square foot starter homes? Smaller master baths? Kitchens that don't have huge center islands. Living areas without tall vaulted ceilings. That sort of thing.

A few months ago I bought a 2200 square foot house in my area (near Dallas but not in Dallas) for $265,000. It's not a starter home - I bought it mainly for the resale value long term and at my age (59) I have bought and sold many homes over the decades (my starter home was about 1300 square feet). I wasn't about to shell out $500K for a house. I sold my $500K home by the way, with a swimming pool and an acre sized lot and a nice shed and a pergola and all that, in a gated community, in three days. Glad to get rid of it and glad to get rid of such high utility bills and property taxes.
Whatever happened to 1200 square foot starter homes...

LOL - still there after 20 years. Not going anywhere unless I finally get tired of PA weather some year.

Old 01-11-2022, 08:50 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,175,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Whatever happened to 1200 square foot starter homes...

LOL - still there after 20 years. Not going anywhere unless I finally get tired of PA weather some year.
I was looking for a smaller home myself when I found the one I ended up in, at a good price and all that. I think 1200 square feet is FINE for many people!

Old 01-11-2022, 09:22 AM

4,465 posts, read 8,159,079 times
I'm in a 1500 sq/ft "starter home" built in 1977. Problem is, it's no longer at a starter home friendly price. I paid 162k in 2009 for mine and now Zillow has it over 400k. Prices are in line with comps and a few months ago a similar house up the street sold for 345k. It doesn't have a garage and has 1 less bath as mine.

Neighbor across the street paid 52k has a similar house and he's the original owner.

I do appreciate my smaller home. It's less utility costs, maintenance, and taxes. It's plenty big for my family of 5. When I did have my brother's family staying with us during the holidays, it definitely felt smaller but was manageable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance