Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2022, 12:28 PM

2,146 posts, read 3,062,186 times

Advertisements

I've searched the forum for this info and can't find anything on point.

My husband was recently diagnosed with late stage cancer. Although he is undergoing treatment and we're hopeful, I like to prepare for the worst.

He has a $1 million life insurance policy. If/when he passes, what is the process the insurance company goes through to pay the claim? While I know a $1 million policy isn't unusual, it's also not nothing. Is this a no brainer for the insurance company, as a 70+ year old many with advanced cancer frequently dies, or is there a lot of investigation that goes into paying on a policy that large?

Thanks for any help you can shed on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2022, 01:05 PM

4,867 posts, read 4,806,048 times
Demands vary among insurers.

The insurer will want to see his death certificate. For lesser amounts a copy usually works, but they may want an original official copy. Funeral homes usually provide 3-5, but you can always pay to get more. The death cert will indicate cause of death. Some may accept an emailed copy, others may require that they receive the paper (usually has a seal). Some will transfer the funds to your bank account, others will insist on writing a check.

Old 04-30-2022, 03:25 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,852,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
Demands vary among insurers.

The insurer will want to see his death certificate. For lesser amounts a copy usually works, but they may want an original official copy. Funeral homes usually provide 3-5, but you can always pay to get more. The death cert will indicate cause of death. Some may accept an emailed copy, others may require that they receive the paper (usually has a seal). Some will transfer the funds to your bank account, others will insist on writing a check.
This. IIRC, when I acted as my father's executor and submitted a claim for his life insurance they requested an official copy of his death certificate (yes, official copies will have a raised embossed seal) and an original copy of my executor's decree. His original beneficiary was deceased so I claimed it for the estate. If you are the designated beneficiary they probably only need proof of your identity. Here's hoping you won't need all this OP!

Old 04-30-2022, 05:23 PM

Thank you both. I was afraid there was a whole investigation that would occur. I watch too many movies.

Old 04-30-2022, 05:28 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,852,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reebo View Post
Thank you both. I was afraid there was a whole investigation that would occur. I watch too many movies.
Ah, c'mon...we all do that (but not everyone will admit it)!

Old 04-30-2022, 07:45 PM

3,049 posts, read 3,317,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reebo View Post
I've searched the forum for this info and can't find anything on point.

My husband was recently diagnosed with late stage cancer. Although he is undergoing treatment and we're hopeful, I like to prepare for the worst.

He has a $1 million life insurance policy. If/when he passes, what is the process the insurance company goes through to pay the claim? While I know a $1 million policy isn't unusual, it's also not nothing. Is this a no brainer for the insurance company, as a 70+ year old many with advanced cancer frequently dies, or is there a lot of investigation that goes into paying on a policy that large?

Thanks for any help you can shed on this.
Depending on the insurance co you may have to be persistent in making your claim. Be patient but diligent. You will have to provide copy of death certificate. You may need a bank account to accept the funds. You may want to consult with financial advisor for this. Be sure you don't talk to someone that wants to sell you something. Commission on the $1Mil could be considerable.

Since you will then be single you may want to consult tax attorney for best use of the funds.

Take care that this amount of money becomes a blessing & not a curse. Be very careful not to blow it.

Old 05-01-2022, 06:12 AM

6,819 posts, read 11,548,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWoodle View Post

Take care that this amount of money becomes a blessing & not a curse. Be very careful not to blow it.
Depending on your relatives/friends, you might take care in telling people how much money you’re getting. “I think I’ll be okay” is vague enough. Otherwise they might all be hitting you up for a loan.

Old 05-01-2022, 08:54 AM

6,627 posts, read 7,346,527 times
I would write to the insurance company and tell them the status of your husband's health and ask them what their procedures are. They probably have a standard form they use and as mentioned will want a death certificate.

If you have not you probably should arrange for the funeral services including paying in advance (I think you get better pricing). I think for a lot of older individuals this is normal.

Make sure all your utility bills are in both of your names.

Old 05-01-2022, 09:46 AM

You all are so helpful. Thank you. Keep weighing in if you think of anything.

Old 05-01-2022, 10:03 AM

9,865 posts, read 7,736,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
I would write to the insurance company and tell them the status of your husband's health and ask them what their procedures are. They probably have a standard form they use and as mentioned will want a death certificate.

If you have not you probably should arrange for the funeral services including paying in advance (I think you get better pricing). I think for a lot of older individuals this is normal.

Make sure all your utility bills are in both of your names.
I wouldn't write to the company, just call your agent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance