Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2023, 11:42 AM

13,060 posts, read 7,497,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
What is the current conventional thinking regarding Long-Term Care Insurance? Can you reach a point of wealth that you no longer need to carry LTC? The premiums start out small and increase over time. By then, your wealth should have increased, so does it make financial sense to continue paying the premiums?
Wealth not enough to drop LTCi. Probably will never drop LTCi since it protects our major retirement holding- rental house.
But I think about dropping LTCi every week. Premiums represent ~7% of our gross income.

I made a decision to reduce my coverage by 1/3 on 2022's premium increase, by keeping my premium level until the next increase. Features still hold such as annual 5% benefit increases.
We will tolerate the increased premium on wife's policy.

Also paying premiums for 20 years.
YPMV

Last edited by leastprime; 09-19-2023 at 01:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2023, 01:08 PM

6,626 posts, read 4,289,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxrivers View Post
I happen to LIVE in a Westminster Community. So the 40K entrance option is NOT a red flag.

https://westminstercommunitiesfl.org...s/our-mission/

The Westminster Communities of Florida story starts in 1954, with the First Presbyterian Church of Bradenton chartering Westminster Manor, and quickly moves to Central Florida with communities in Winter Park and Orlando. Today, we’re happy to serve more than 7,000 residents in 22 communities throughout the state, offering active, independent living, assisted living and nursing care in our 10 Continuing Care Retirement Communities, as well as affordable communities for low-income seniors.

Fitch Rating
We’re a strong partner for your retirement, with a fiscally sound, A- rating from Fitch Ratings, recently reaffirmed in May 2015, and a Mission-driven commitment to good stewardship of our resources and the environment.

Our Mission Statement describes what we do: We serve from the heart and inspire older adults to enjoy happy, healthy and purposeful lives.

We value and honor the 50-year legacy of Westminster Communities of Florida, so we incorporated our former Mission Statement, which tells us who we are. They are our Founding Principles:

We are a church related, not-for-profit community service organization dedicated and committed to providing services for older adults.
We create and preserve excellent residential and health care communities promoting well-being and encouraging active and healthy lifestyle choices.
We believe in and are committed to respecting and honoring each person’s dignity, rights and independence.
We are committed to a program of stewardship that recognizes the responsibility to use our resources well.

Just got off the phone with a Westminster representative. Sounds like they are more like Type C. If you need skilled nursing, you would pay market rate less a discount. LTCI would likely help here. Currently, the cheapest unit they offer is a 475 SF studio unit at $75,750, but it is limited to one person. A one bedroom would be $115k for 2. Not sure what would happen if you ever require extensive care but can't afford it (even with the discount). I would not want to take on that risk in my last years.

Last edited by Lizap; 09-19-2023 at 08:46 PM..

Old 09-19-2023, 01:30 PM

10,611 posts, read 12,118,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
LTC policies with a life insurance benefit provide a hedge that is valuable to many.

For a higher cost of course. I almost got one. Then decided to self-insure.
Single. No kids. Who am I preserving my assets for. I have to make sure I'm taken care of first.

I love my siblings nieces and nephews, and some friends -- but they can split anything that's left over.

Old 09-19-2023, 01:36 PM

6,626 posts, read 4,289,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
For a higher cost of course. I almost got one. Then decided to self-insure.
Single. No kids. Who am I preserving my assets for. I have to make sure I'm taken care of first.

I love my siblings nieces and nephews, and some friends -- but they can split anything that's left over.
If you aren't concerned with leaving a legacy or already have enough for legacy, another strategy instead of LTCI might be to wait to annuitize until you need the income for medical care, using a SPIA.

Old 09-19-2023, 01:39 PM

20,099 posts, read 9,003,220 times
Never considered LTC, I'll apply pension income to pay for it, if it occurs.

Old 09-19-2023, 04:07 PM

106,583 posts, read 108,739,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
Depends on the contract type. Type A is the most expensive, but covers a complete continuum of care at no additional cost, should you need it. Type C is less expensive, but you will have to pay for skilled nursing and possibly other medical expenses. There are many CCRCs with Type A and Type C models throughout the country. There are many seniors who think they’re getting Type A and really are only Type C. If you’re in a Type C contract, and find yourself unable to pay as result of excessive medical expenses, you could be forced into an undesirable (but lower cost) nursing home at a terrible time.
our area really has no cheap equivalents to a skilled nursing home in ccrc.

they are pretty much only for the wealthy at this point here

Old 09-19-2023, 08:14 PM

3,516 posts, read 7,779,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
Can you reach a point of wealth that you no longer need to carry LTC?
Of course, a recent report says that long term health care costs 160k a year per person, so you going to need about 3 million dollars in investments to cover that, yearly. I would expect health care costs only to increase, to a point that investments no longer cover the full costs and expenses begin to cut into the principal amount, but given that 3 million divided by 160k would last 18 years, even with a 0% return on investment, I highly doubt anyone would live long enough to exhaust there savings before they die.

You probably could get by with less, but then it's a numbers game where the yearly cost of care exceeds the investment return and eating into the principal amount every year. 2 million should give you at least 15 years of care before the saving are exhausted, assuming only one person in care for that starting amount.

Old 09-19-2023, 08:23 PM

17,706 posts, read 29,800,391 times
We don’t.
Relying on growth of retirement funds.

Old 09-19-2023, 09:42 PM

37,593 posts, read 45,960,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
Just got off the phone with a Westminster representative. Sounds like they are more like Type C. If you need skilled nursing, you would pay market rate less a discount. LTCI would likely help here. Currently, the cheapest unit they offer is a 475 SF studio unit at $75,750, but it is limited to one person. A one bedroom would be $115k for 2. Not sure what would happen if you ever require extensive care but can't afford it (even with the discount). I would not want to take on that risk in my last years.
The Westminster facility here is a Type A. It's very pricey but everyone I know that knows anyone that lives there says that they just love it. It's not cheap - the smallest entry fee is nearly 130k.

Old 09-20-2023, 01:36 AM

106,583 posts, read 108,739,314 times
there is a westminster development up near the finger lakes region of new york …that’s is about 5-6 hours drive from nyc .

they are only assisted living , not skilled nursing ….5-6k a month per person .

ironically the company i worked for has a location in that town .

it’s a pretty crappy area with a prison in the middle of the town.

so if a couple you can see double those costs and like i said that is only assisted living.

most affordable CCRC are not going to be up in desirable areas up in the northeast unless far removed from where you would likely want to live

for us they are off the table

Last edited by mathjak107; 09-20-2023 at 02:41 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance