Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 07:27 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,048,915 times

Advertisements

STOP

Post is from 2008, and OP has never returned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2014, 06:14 AM

15,835 posts, read 20,635,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
Not is some states. In NY its common to have Section 8 mixed into middle class neighborhoods.
MA is the same way.

I had a battle with a section 8 tenant in a luxury condo unit in my building that i wanted to buy as a investment. Was a shortsale, but she wouldn't leave, and in the end i gave up. I still see her in the building...driving her Mercedes convertible, while my tax dollars pay 3/4 of her rent for her unit with a ocean view. I just smile and politely wave.

She wouldn't leave because going to a "regular aparment" was a "downgrade".

Old 01-27-2014, 07:38 AM

13,388 posts, read 6,469,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
MA is the same way.

I had a battle with a section 8 tenant in a luxury condo unit in my building that i wanted to buy as a investment. Was a shortsale, but she wouldn't leave, and in the end i gave up. I still see her in the building...driving her Mercedes convertible, while my tax dollars pay 3/4 of her rent for her unit with a ocean view. I just smile and politely wave.

She wouldn't leave because going to a "regular aparment" was a "downgrade".
Yep. I live in a middle class neighborhood on long island and there's one down the street. Investors love them.

Old 10-24-2016, 12:21 PM

1 posts, read 1,094 times
I was in a car wreck back in Aug fractured my back in 3 different places and doctor won't let me go to work. I have 2 kids son that's 15 and daughter that 9 . so I have no income I have filed for disability but that is a long process and my landlord want us out today 10/24/2016 and he gave me a 10 day notice but we only owe for this month and I've tried all churches and charities no one is able to help. I don't want my kids to be homeless. I don't have the money to move the holidays are coming up. But can someone please assist me please. I'm at my end don't know what else to do please please....

Old 10-24-2016, 12:31 PM

13,148 posts, read 21,108,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryb79 View Post
I was in a car wreck back in Aug fractured my back in 3 different places and doctor won't let me go to work. I have 2 kids son that's 15 and daughter that 9 . so I have no income I have filed for disability but that is a long process and my landlord want us out today 10/24/2016 and he gave me a 10 day notice but we only owe for this month and I've tried all churches and charities no one is able to help. I don't want my kids to be homeless. I don't have the money to move the holidays are coming up. But can someone please assist me please. I'm at my end don't know what else to do please please....
Start here and work your way through the system for what you need.
Benefits.gov

Old 10-24-2016, 02:10 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,401,056 times
The landlord is not a B. She is a business person with bills to pay.

Start looking for a place you can better afford. Talk to the landlord about your moving plans, and maybe she'll cut you a deal on the back rent if she can get another tenant in asap.

Old 10-25-2016, 09:56 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,533,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
That really depends on where they live, here where I live there are alot of houses avaiable in section 8 that are good areas. Not the high price areas but in safe neighborhoods.Moving within a town or area is really only a problem for thosee that have not made friends. I have moved myself and helped other move many times.

Good luck getting a Section 8 voucher. That could take years and years. IF you can get on the waiting list in the first place.

Old 10-25-2016, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
The landlord is not a B. She is a business person with bills to pay.

Start looking for a place you can better afford. Talk to the landlord about your moving plans, and maybe she'll cut you a deal on the back rent if she can get another tenant in asap.

She overspends and counts on the rent to pay for it? (There are times I worked two jobs so that my landlord could work zero jobs.)

Old 10-25-2016, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
Yep. I live in a middle class neighborhood on long island and there's one down the street. Investors love them.

Maybe investors should get jobs and become productive members of society rather than extractors?

Old 10-25-2016, 10:07 AM

18,555 posts, read 15,649,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Maybe investors should get jobs and become productive members of society rather than extractors?
Uh, working and investing are not mutually exclusive, many of us do both. Also, providing capital is a service of value in any but the most primitive economy. It is not "extraction".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance