Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 09:30 AM

2 posts, read 69,514 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I have gotten into a bind and have not been able to pay my rent this month yet. Well we are only 2 weeks late on it and have agreed to the late fee if she will work with us. Well the landlord here is a B with a CAPITOL B! She says we have to pay by tomorrow (Friday 10/17/08) or be out by Monday. Can anyone PLEASE tell me anywhere that will help you pay it 1 time??? I have called churches which I do not like having to do and agencies they are all out of funds at the time. I have an 8 year old and no car at the time. The reason we are late on rent this month is because our car broke down first the transmission went out, then my husband was out of work for 4 days that week because he had no way to get there, well last week it rained all week so he is not going to have a good check this week. Can anyone please help me find the resources I need to get my rent paid???
Thank you in advance & God Bless!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2008, 10:34 AM

3,238 posts, read 8,788,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamsmom32514 View Post
Hello,
I have gotten into a bind and have not been able to pay my rent this month yet. Well we are only 2 weeks late on it and have agreed to the late fee if she will work with us. Well the landlord here is a B with a CAPITOL B! She says we have to pay by tomorrow (Friday 10/17/08) or be out by Monday. Can anyone PLEASE tell me anywhere that will help you pay it 1 time??? I have called churches which I do not like having to do and agencies they are all out of funds at the time. I have an 8 year old and no car at the time. The reason we are late on rent this month is because our car broke down first the transmission went out, then my husband was out of work for 4 days that week because he had no way to get there, well last week it rained all week so he is not going to have a good check this week. Can anyone please help me find the resources I need to get my rent paid???
Thank you in advance & God Bless!!!!!!
I doubt very much if your landlord can evict you on Monday -- even for lack of payment of rent. And that's especially true with having a child. I would call your local township hall and ask for someone who can give you information on renter's rights. I once had reason to evict tenants for non-payment of rent, but I had to go to court, and they cancelled it a couple of times, and in all, it took me 3 weeks to get them out, and that is after they hadn't paid for 4 months!

Since the Sheriff's department usually does evictions, if you can get information from the town hall, try calling them. Landlords have to take legal steps to evict a tenant, and no matter what your LL says, it can't be done overnight. Don't panic.

Good luck.

Old 10-16-2008, 10:52 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,833,505 times
I am not sure of your income but looks like you need to go to the housing athority in your town. You might be eligiable for section 8 housing.

Old 10-16-2008, 03:30 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,158,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I am not sure of your income but looks like you need to go to the housing athority in your town. You might be eligiable for section 8 housing.
True, but that might require 1) relocation expenses they can't afford and 2) to live in a part of town most combat veterans would be afraid to live in.

Old 10-16-2008, 03:39 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,158,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamsmom32514 View Post
I have called churches which I do not like having to do and agencies they are all out of funds at the time.
That's your first problem.

You want to sit around and make phone calls from the convenience of your home, it doesn't work that way. You'll have to get out and pound pavement and stand in lines and fill out forms like everyone else.

If you want to cut to the chase, you can start by going to your county health and human services office. Call to find out what time they open, then be there when the open. Bring all the documentation you need, which is your rental agreement, your utility bills, your 2007 tax forms, pay stubs from the last 6 weeks, bank statements, and anything else that can prove your income and expenses.

They can get you signed up for food stamps and WIC which will allow you to apply more of your money to rent so you don't get into this situation again, and they can direct you to a number of agencies, and since you have, um, "a referral" from a bona fide source and your income and circumstances are verified, you'll get some cooperation from social service agencies.

As far as being evicted, your landlord has to file a lawsuit, you have to be served notice, you have time to respond, and then you'll have a hearing and then you'll be evicted, and that will take 60 to 90 days (or more) depending on your state.

Old 10-16-2008, 04:01 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,792,396 times
Pawn shop?
Craigslist?

Old 10-16-2008, 04:21 PM

475 posts, read 1,304,774 times
As others have started you will not be out on your rear tommorow. Even if your landlord is quick it will be at least a month. In that time do what others have said. You mentioned your husbands job but also talk to your employer and see if you can pick up a few extra hours if your employer offers overtime.

Old 10-19-2008, 08:05 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,833,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
True, but that might require 1) relocation expenses they can't afford and 2) to live in a part of town most combat veterans would be afraid to live in.

That really depends on where they live, here where I live there are alot of houses avaiable in section 8 that are good areas. Not the high price areas but in safe neighborhoods.Moving within a town or area is really only a problem for thosee that have not made friends. I have moved myself and helped other move many times.

Old 10-19-2008, 08:32 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,293,442 times
Sorry y'all, but the Section 8 discussion is most likely moot. Depends on where you live but in MOST places there is a very long wait list.... even for "emergency" housing. Of course it doesn't hurt to try, and go ahead and get on the list for later.

The middle of the month is a bad time to be in the situation. Most organizations are out of funds in the first week. I agree with the suggestions to get other assistance now.. it frees up money for rent. Also agree with the pawnshop / craigslist suggestion. There's gotta be something sitting around that you can pawn or sell.

Also, plasma donation pays... not much but it pays. Every little bit helps.

If you have any money, see if your landlady will take what you have now and agree to the rest as soon as you get it...

I've been there. Once, my money order for the rent was stolen (along with my purse), and I hadn't torn off the little receipt part... and it was 2 days before Christmas. My landlady was going to file eviction papers regardless.. she gave me 3 days to cough it up. Not a good year.

Old 10-19-2008, 08:47 PM

2 posts, read 69,514 times
Unhappy Thanks for all the response!

First of all let me start by saying thanks for the info! Second of all to the person who commented about me "sitting in the comfort of my home on the phone" I DO NOT HAVE A CAR RIGHT NOW TO GO BANGING ON THESE CHARITIES DOORS!!! I stated that in my ad!
So unless you want to come take me to those places then don't judge me! I have called every charity service and church within 100 miles of me. Right now everyone is out of funds. I have been to the pawnshop and pawned every piece of jewelry I own and tried pawining my computer but it is so old they won't take it. Thank you for the suggestion though! I have applied for food stamps and they say we don't qulify for some strange reason. I just went and reapplied as well. We'll see what happens this time around. The only reason we got behind this month was because of our car breakdown. My husband missed almost a week of work trying to get someone to pick him up. We even checked on getting a cab but it was going to be $23 one way. So he finally has a ride back & forth now thanks to a friend of his that works with him. The friend was on vacation when the car broke down so he had no idea until he asked why my husband wasn't there. He NEVER misses work unless it is a REAL EMERGENCY! He was down in his back for over a week one time yet he went to work daily. He works sometimes 7 days a week so he is getting overtime. But we aren't able to pay the rent because we had the lights due that week he went back to work which was $260. Plus we had the phone & our sons insurance the next week and his court ordered child support. And it rained all last week so the check he got this week barely covered the light bill & groceries. I am trying to find work & have walked as far as I can walk to look but right now noone is hiring. I am not out to scam anyone or anything like that I just need help one time. I am not the type of person to do that! I know better! I believe that if you scam people things will only get worse instead of better! It may not happen right away but it will happen! Sorry this is so long but for the ones trying to be know it alls I have to get my point across! For those of you just passing on friendly info THANK YOU SOOO MUCH!!! IT IS APPRECIATED!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance