Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 09:35 AM

1 posts, read 1,013 times

Advertisements

THE PROBLEM of all you guys debating the efficiency of whole life insurance is that you look at whole life as an investment itself.
You have to change your focus to whole life being a financing platform. when you do that there is nothing that compares against it because you are not limited to what you can do with it. You can finance all your needs like cars, vacations, college etc.
You were going to pay 8%, 14%, 24% financing those with banks and credit cards. You can now pay your own policy those same returns. Plus the amount of control that this setup gives you increses your return many times in peace of mind and real results.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2011, 11:18 AM

106,691 posts, read 108,856,202 times
theres plenty that compares against it . how about term that cost 4-5x less and put the difference in your premium in the bank. if your not interested in keeping the insurance going past your 60's then their is no point paying so much for insurance in a whole life policy.. your paying a whopper of a premium in comparison with only a mere token of that making it into your cash value.. that premium your paying is so large because your paying for what could be years and years of insurance until the end of your life after retirement not just until you may not need it anymore.

in fact i would venture to say term up until early 60's and then a single premium policy after that if you wanted insurance into retirement would leave your piggy bank with substantialy more dough in it by a wide margin.
Thats what this whole discussion is about...

Last edited by mathjak107; 02-22-2011 at 12:07 PM..

Old 02-23-2011, 05:53 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,396,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibcuser View Post
THE PROBLEM of all you guys debating the efficiency of whole life insurance is that you look at whole life as an investment itself.
You have to change your focus to whole life being a financing platform. when you do that there is nothing that compares against it because you are not limited to what you can do with it. You can finance all your needs like cars, vacations, college etc.
You were going to pay 8%, 14%, 24% financing those with banks and credit cards. You can now pay your own policy those same returns. Plus the amount of control that this setup gives you increses your return many times in peace of mind and real results.
How about not financing anything and just paying cash? That's the best "financing platform" of all.

Old 02-24-2011, 12:28 AM

6,385 posts, read 11,888,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibcuser View Post
Kind of a crazy argument, a good agent would never frame it in these terms. If you wanted to finance lifestyle as you get older with insurance company products, you fund an annuity in your earning years and then start cashing out after you turn 60. Same tax benefits as insurance, but its a true investment with no insurance costs built in. Buying insurance is purely done for protecting your assets for your family's benefit.

We could all argue until the end of time about what makes more sense. All I can say being an agent and telling you what I see in meeting clients is much of the population is better off buying whole life as long as they commit to paying the premiums. Once they understand insurance is about protection and giving you a chance to pass along benefits to your heirs, they agree whole life makes more sense. Term is merely to make sure your heirs don't suffer from lost income, but there is nothing to pass along and eventually term becomes way too expensive to continue on with.

People who have the discipline and the ability to generate 7-9% returns with the "savings" from buying term are few and far between. The average investor has a perverse tendency to buy high and sell low. The average person fears loss more than gain and therefore buys extremely safe investments which just don't measure up to the tax-adjusted rate of the guaranteed accounts of insurance companies. You'd be stunned to see people who are in their 30s with decent balances in 401k or IRA accounts with 100% in money-market or shorter duration bond funds. Its sad, its like they got the memo that they need to invest for retirement, but they missed the memo saying they have to take on some risk or they'll be eaten alive by inflation.

If you are someone who can consistently beat these rates and is just working to protect your family against loss of your income, then by all means buy term. However there are a ton of factors involved and it concerns me that people buy into simple beliefs when they should do a lot more digging and understand all the factors. They just go for whats cheap on the internet and think they are good. Its not buying car or homeowners insurance, its buying a product which will change over many years and you need to think about those potential changes for at least 20 years out. Even worse I review the coverage of potential new clients and see huge holes in their coverage. What's the point of saying you are protecting your family in case you die, but not also buying disability insurance? I see it all the time.

Fact of the matter is insurance has to be taken seriously and planned out. Most people seem to consider insurance a hassle they wish they could go without and try to avoid doing anything more than the minimum possible.

Old 02-24-2011, 03:11 AM

106,691 posts, read 108,856,202 times
the sad reality is folks know more about their refrigerator and car then they do anything financial in their lives, most have no plan and they basically drift to and from whatever they hear someone say is good.

the best way overall is hands down,take term insurance to cover your needs early on in life when you have a reason to. , either learn yourself how to invest the difference in premiums you save between whole life and term or very simply there are a number of wonderful investment newsletters out their that dont try to time the markets and put wonderful portfolios together.

there is no excuse for not investing in your own future.even if you know nothing.!

the newslettters offer a few different model portfolios based on your goals and risk level and tell you what to do every week if any minor changes,all for 125.00 bucks a year. you will grow more money long term by your retirement years then any policy cash value you may ever get which would be a mere fraction.. the newsletter i have been following since 1987 caters to only fidelity funds and grew 100k into 1.1 million with less risk then an s&p 500 index fund and no crystal ball.
they actually did worse then their competitors which were a little less conservative too. the point is anyone can get those returns even if they themselves know nothing.,

life insurance is strictly a bet on you dying, .its still one of the poorest choices around for accumlating a savings and unless your so lazy as not wanting to take the time to even get a newsletter to guide your investing then it should be used strictly for what it is financial protection against dying.

my own plan was to accumulate as much as i could ,with as little risk as i could during my working years. i learned all i could about investing and yet still stuck with my newsletter.

i worked for a life insurance company in the office when i was 18 and going to school. they sold me a universal life policy back then. not knowing any better i bought it. it turned out to be a horrible deal as i learned more about this stuff. i still have it today and basically it is running on its own cash value now for 25 years. the truth is had they sold me term insurance even assuming i needed insurance all those over payments in my premuims today invested in my portfolios would have been enough to fully pay for the SPL policy i want in retirement to plan my tax strategy with. instead i have insurance i dont really need in a design structure that
is so designed that internally as i age the cost of insurance gets higher and higher so if you live long enough it will very quietly eat its self up and terminate unless you pump alot more money in just as the odds of you dying get greater. smart folks those insurance companies.

the plan now as we get ready to take an early retirement and enter our deaccumulation stage of life where instead of accumulating assets we will start to spend them down is once again to utilize a few insurance products .

im a big fan of immeadiate annuties which we will incorporate into our plan and im in favor of once again using SPL INSURANCE to take my tax infested ira money and convert it to totaly tax free money for my wife .

to be succesful financially in life doesnt take alot of money. it takes a good plan and the will to learn or seek those who can do it for you if your so inclined . you need to question everything for yourself and dont believe anyone trying to sell you something.

in the financial industry never forget your not a client your a customer.

Last edited by mathjak107; 02-24-2011 at 03:51 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance