Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2014, 12:42 PM

1,960 posts, read 4,665,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
nicely done. you seem to be on the right track. cheers!
pffft. On what income and for how long though? I can slam dunk too if I was 6'7"...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2014, 12:47 PM

15,866 posts, read 21,452,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
And it's rewarding in a way.

I signed up for an account on https://www.networthiq.com/ and update monthly and enjoy watching the Net Worth trend line climbing higher and higher in the postive direction. It really is a good feeling.
I use Mint.com for the same thing - and it also has great budgeting software. It's part of the reason why I use my credit card for most purchases because it automatically logs EVERYTHING (and I get points every month and am back at the point where I can pay it off as I go).

To those who see this thread and think "How could I ever do it?" - an anecdote.

2 years ago, I had a net worth of about negative $10,000 thanks to a cancer diagnosis right out of college and no financial support from family. A year ago, I had gotten myself out of debt thanks to buckling down, banking 75% of my raise, and banking 100% of my tax refund. Today, my net worth just passed $11K and I just turned 26.

Now, those might not seem like impressive numbers and I personally have felt very discouraged. I STILL feel discouraged at my relative financial insecurity. That said, with a little buckling down and planning, you can get some real growth. Also keep in mind that the average 20-something doesn't have much in retirement due to low wages, building emergency funds, student loans, or graduate school. It's normal to have low amounts - just be aware of what you are putting away for retirement and up your contributions with every raise. This forum is an outlier with so many people in their 20s already worth 6 figures - not that it can't happen, but it typically requires a whole lot of luck as well as hard work. Had I not gotten cancer and had I gotten married young, I probably would count myself among the 6 figure wealth numbers too despite my age. But you have to keep chugging along.

Right now I'm focusing more on getting a full year in my emergency fund before upping my 401K contributions or considering a Roth IRA because of my medical history. It might mean I have to play catch-up later on, but also will help me having to avoid pulling what little I have in my 401K out early if I were to relapse. You have to figure out what risk burden makes the most sense for you.

Old 01-03-2014, 12:48 PM

4,233 posts, read 6,913,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
fidelity full view does that for us daily . it includes banks and credit cards in full view also
I use Mint and it does similar stuff. Very helpful for being a free tool. (obviously you and lots of people already know about Mint though).

Old 01-18-2014, 04:41 AM

5 posts, read 8,015 times
42 with a little over $400,000 in 401k. In the years I receive raises, I increase my contribution rate before I see the raise in my paycheck. Generous employer contributions have helped. Would love to be at 450 by 2015, but probably wishful thinking.

Old 01-19-2014, 06:02 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,408,756 times
I am 24.. I have been working my career for 9 months. My 401k just passed $3,000 last week. Firm contribution should be in soon.

I also have personal investments through Vanguard. I use it as a "savings account" since banks pay 0.1% or some junk, and even a basic money market account returns more than that. I have $3,000 in personal investments through there as well. I like having 401k and personal brokerage separate, because the latter is actually liquid. It serves as my "emergency" fund but still can earn a nice return. I have a combination of Cash, US stocks , International stocks, and Bonds in the form ETFs. Doing well here.

No debt here other than student loan and car loan (1.5 years left). I will feel great when I pay that off.

Old 01-20-2014, 08:14 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,300,293 times
32.....401k just passed $200k last week.
Other assets and investments as well.

Old 01-22-2014, 02:28 PM

18,549 posts, read 15,596,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I use Mint.com for the same thing - and it also has great budgeting software. It's part of the reason why I use my credit card for most purchases because it automatically logs EVERYTHING (and I get points every month and am back at the point where I can pay it off as I go).

To those who see this thread and think "How could I ever do it?" - an anecdote.

2 years ago, I had a net worth of about negative $10,000 thanks to a cancer diagnosis right out of college and no financial support from family. A year ago, I had gotten myself out of debt thanks to buckling down, banking 75% of my raise, and banking 100% of my tax refund. Today, my net worth just passed $11K and I just turned 26.

Now, those might not seem like impressive numbers and I personally have felt very discouraged. I STILL feel discouraged at my relative financial insecurity. That said, with a little buckling down and planning, you can get some real growth. Also keep in mind that the average 20-something doesn't have much in retirement due to low wages, building emergency funds, student loans, or graduate school. It's normal to have low amounts - just be aware of what you are putting away for retirement and up your contributions with every raise. This forum is an outlier with so many people in their 20s already worth 6 figures - not that it can't happen, but it typically requires a whole lot of luck as well as hard work. Had I not gotten cancer and had I gotten married young, I probably would count myself among the 6 figure wealth numbers too despite my age. But you have to keep chugging along.

Right now I'm focusing more on getting a full year in my emergency fund before upping my 401K contributions or considering a Roth IRA because of my medical history. It might mean I have to play catch-up later on, but also will help me having to avoid pulling what little I have in my 401K out early if I were to relapse. You have to figure out what risk burden makes the most sense for you.
If you have access to an HSA, be sure to max it out!

Old 01-23-2014, 03:38 AM

2,080 posts, read 3,924,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
If you have access to an HSA, be sure to max it out!
Why the HSA? I have access to one and never contributed a dime. What am I missing? Should I be and why?

Old 01-23-2014, 08:55 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,718,910 times
Little over 40 yrs old with $400k+ in IRA, 8% contribution rate and invest every bonus into my Roth + IRA.

Old 01-23-2014, 09:25 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,300,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Little over 40 yrs old with $400k+ in IRA, 8% contribution rate and invest every bonus into my Roth + IRA.
Nice job! :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance