Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2014, 01:51 PM

2,223 posts, read 3,878,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacite View Post
The ignorance displayed by some people on this board is astounding.
Oh the irony.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2014, 06:05 PM

26,194 posts, read 21,601,431 times
Quote:
Absolutely, and I agree. Good points. I bought the 5 yrs so that I can quit the state at age 48 and hopefully transition into my second career, with my.pension locked in, and doing something I love. I had kicked around some ideas for supplemental income, such as buying $1,000 20 yr inflation adjusted federal bonds each yr until I retire. It is not much, but adds about a net of $100 per month. Every extra bit counts.

Btw, Calpers is regularly adjusted for inflation. Another reason I bought extra yrs.

My $3,000/month payout is a very conservative estimate, and does not factor in that my highest ending salary should be higher than it currently is. It's alsp predicated on living in a state with no income tax. In reality it should be higher. Everything else on top is gravy (part time job, gov bonds, savings, etc). If I am even reasonably conservative I should easily secure $3,500/month without living a life devoid of what inspires me in the process. If people cannot live on that I feel sorry for them.

There are a lot of condescending posts here. No surprise that occurs when you talk money. People are always competitive in that regard. It's ironic, because you can never "win". People that say $10,000 is nothing are morons. Hey, it's sure something to me! Lol it's ten FN grand. Most people in this country have almost nothing and worse than that, are deep in debt. The ignorance displayed by some people on this board is astounding.

I have done fine with far, far less for a good portion of my life. If IT do bite the bullet and move to Texas, I have already decided that I am going to use a decent amount of the money I save to help family, maybe send my parents on a trip or two. I know some moron will say, "you can save $18k/yr in Texas, that is nothing. I save $40k/yr. You need to hold that, you are well behind". Lol okay Donald Trump. You've accomplished nothing in life at all other than working a professional job and stacking up money. That's easy and the road to get there is paved nicely. I am trying to be great at something. It has a price.

Hey, cannot live your life to satisfy other people. Thanks for your tips though. Prob the first reasonable post I read of the last couple pages.

Since age 20 you have accumulated an average of 555.00 per year. while it's 10k in really is a lack luster performance. I don't care how much you are "investing" in yourself via music or travel. You keep repeating that those who save only work but that's really not true. Talk about continued ignorance.

Old 07-04-2014, 06:43 PM

106,720 posts, read 108,913,061 times
try paying a doctor with the photos from your trip..

Old 07-04-2014, 11:37 PM

15,641 posts, read 26,270,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnynrat View Post
401k's are ALWAYS transferable to an IRA after leaving an employer. I recommend this always be done, since you will have a greater choice of investment alternatives, and more control over your costs.

Dave
That I knew -- Just the places hubs and I worked wouldn't accept transfers from other company 401Ks.

First thing we did when we realized our business wasn't a fluke (hey -- we are really making money -- we are aren't we? Yep we are!) is to transfer our 401ks out to a brokerage house.

Old 07-05-2014, 09:24 AM

387 posts, read 589,555 times
Quote:
I am 38 with $10k in savings and a defined benefit pension of 10 yrs in and counting and nothing else. Guess I am a complete loser, eh?

Lol I am actually trying to get "to my first 15 grand!" and quite excited about it.

This thread has a distinct D measuring contest quality to it.
lol. i'm in a somewhat similar boat as you. i'm 40 and have 14k in savings and 10 years into a pension (180k).
i have no credit card debt, owe 10k on a car, have 30k equity on a mortgage, AND 4 kids. i have 0 investments. we've been living the good life spending and having fun. starting next year i should be able to save about 2k per month after all expenses. i am behind the curve and i don't care. who's to say whay can happen tomorrow?

Old 07-05-2014, 11:48 AM

1,148 posts, read 1,573,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Since age 20 you have accumulated an average of 555.00 per year. while it's 10k in really is a lack luster performance. I don't care how much you are "investing" in yourself via music or travel. You keep repeating that those who save only work but that's really not true. Talk about continued ignorance.
Dude, this isn't a FN race to see who can save the most each yr. Maybe for you, not me. You (like a lot of others here) sound like a typical middle class person trying to pomp up and be more than what you are. Underneath you are really frustrated with your life, and so you choose to try to put someone else down that is happy with theirs.

Truth is, who paid my $40k in medical bills. I DID.

Who paid for their bachelor's in business? I DID.

Gee, I guess I do understand how to survive, eh?
Kiss my a-- dude. I haven't been "screwed" yet. I am not "behind" anyone in life, and only a complete fool would look at someone with a guaranteed pension FOR LIFE and claim they are in a bad position in life. Sounds like jealousy to me. The premise of that argument is so ridiculous it's not even worth discussing.

Yes, the ignorance is astounding.

Do you have any clue what happened to all the investments, pensions etc in 2008? Well tell me bright guy, how did all the people fare who were "ahead" of the game?

That's right. All investments are risky.

You guys can save a gazillion a yr and pat yourselves on the back. Fine by ne. But don't claim you have life's answers. Did you not read where I posted that I could move to Texas and save $18k/yr comfortably? Do the math. That is $82k with what I already have included, and if you claim most other people have more, you are lost. I am not doing that, because my goals are not yours.

Most people in the US or this world don't have s--t. They don't have $20k or $3k or anything but food in the cupboard, a new car payment and huge debt. A TON of people are obviously oblivious to this fact, and most of them are posting here.

Old 07-05-2014, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Dude, this isn't a FN race to see who can save the most each yr. Maybe for you, not me. You (like a lot of others here) sound like a typical middle class person trying to pomp up and be more than what you are. Underneath you are really frustrated with your life, and so you choose to try to put someone else down that is happy with theirs.

Kiss my a-- dude. I haven't been "screwed" yet. I am not "behind" anyobe in kife, and only a complete fool would look at someine wirh a goddamn guaranteed pension FOR LIFE and claim they are in a bad position in life. The premise of that argument is so ridiculous it's not even worth discussing.

Do you have any clue what happened to all the investments, pensions etc in 2008? Well tell me bright guy, how did all the people fare who were "ahead" of the game?

You guys can save a gazillion a yr and pat yourselves on the back. Fine by ne. But don't claim you have life's answers. Did you not read where I posted that I could move to Texas and save $18k/yr comfortably? Do the math. That is $82k with what I already have included, and if you claim most other people have more, you are lost. I am not doing that, because my goals are not yours.

Most people in the US or this world don't have s--t. They don't have $20k or $3k or anything but food in the cupboard, a new car payment and huge debt. A TON of people are obviously oblivious to this fact, and most of them are posting here.

Calper's investments in the stock market tanked as well as my personal assets. However they have more than recovered so as long as you invested appropriately for your timeline you were fine. Yeah you saved just under 600.00 per year through your adults years, you are doing great

Old 07-05-2014, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 404Error View Post
lol. i'm in a somewhat similar boat as you. i'm 40 and have 14k in savings and 10 years into a pension (180k).
i have no credit card debt, owe 10k on a car, have 30k equity on a mortgage, AND 4 kids. i have 0 investments. we've been living the good life spending and having fun. starting next year i should be able to save about 2k per month after all expenses. i am behind the curve and i don't care. who's to say whay can happen tomorrow?

404: Plan not found. Far too many people excuse poor financial behavior on the outside chance hat something bad might happen tomorrow. Truth is most end up with a poor quality of life due to this attitude, that I could die tomorrow

Old 07-05-2014, 12:01 PM

Quote:

Kiss my a-- dude. I haven't been "screwed" yet. I am not "behind" anyone in life, and only a complete fool would look at someone with a guaranteed pension FOR LIFE and claim they are in a bad position in life. Sounds like jealousy to me. The premise of that argument is so ridiculous it's not even worth discussing.

I just noticed in another thread that you say you make 75k a year which only makes your savings performance even worse. It would be more understandable if you were only making 20-40k

Old 07-05-2014, 12:16 PM

2,223 posts, read 3,878,190 times
Quote:

Yes, the ignorance IS astounding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance