Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2011, 12:51 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,638,312 times

Advertisements

A pet burial, complete with a casket, ceremony, and cemetery plot, runs around $800. Cremating a pet, on the other hand, costs about $80. Guess which option is increasingly being chosen by pet owners?

Read more: The Economy’s Being Blamed for the Decline of Pet Burials | Moneyland | TIME.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2011, 11:03 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,843,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
A pet burial, complete with a casket, ceremony, and cemetery plot, runs around $800.
Cremating a pet, on the other hand, costs about $80.
Guess which option is increasingly being chosen by pet owners?
My guess is "None of the above."

Burying him in the backyard costs nothing.
That has always been the most popular option.

Old 08-02-2011, 11:14 AM

1,111 posts, read 1,184,298 times
Quote:
A pet burial, complete with a casket, ceremony, and cemetery plot, runs around $800. Cremating a pet, on the other hand, costs about $80. Guess which option is increasingly being chosen by pet owners?

Read more: The Economy’s Being Blamed for the Decline of Pet Burials | Moneyland | TIME.com
I ran a cemetery for 10 years, we also had a retort (cremation). It's on the rise overall. Parts of the world have 80-90% cremation rate; U.S. has traditionally been <15%(driven by religion), but over the last 10 years it has tripled or more across the country. I watched it go from 14% to 37% in my 10 years, in my area and being in the MidWest we are the slowest to adopt cultural shifts like this..

Funeral homes (some) are crying wolf over cremation stating they can't stay profitable, but the fact of the matter is - they just need to change with the times and most funeral directors are not exactly known for being 'flexible' and open to new ideas.

Cremation ashes are also easier to put to rest somewhere; Favorite park, lake, trail etc. 99% of cemeteries also don't allow pet burials, even if they are cremated and placed inside a casket with a family member - but we know it happens. Kind of a don't ask don't tell type policy.

Bottom line is outside of doing a backyard burial, cremation makes sense (baring religious reasons) over 'traditional' burial practices for people and pets. I've seen the death care industry from the inside, believe me, 90% of the services and products you buy, you are being bent over on and LOTS of people prey on emotions. It has nothing to with the economy, it's been a growing trend for the last 40 years, and it has greatly accelerated the last 15.

Old 08-02-2011, 12:35 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,697,401 times
Quote:
Guess which option is increasingly being chosen by pet owners?
the same one being choosen by humans - Cremation. The old fashion in ground burial is dying down in the world and cremation is out pacing all other options. It has nothing to do with the "economy" because this has been the case for well over 20 years. pet owners have been the leaders in cremation because they have no left over family beliefs to deal with.

Old 08-02-2011, 04:17 PM

831 posts, read 1,966,539 times
I'm having my furkids cremated simply to take them with me since I have a gypsy soul and don't live anywhere more than 24 minutes....then they'll come with me to the end when I'm cremated, and we'll be dusty together.

Old 08-05-2011, 03:56 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,443,436 times
I agree, although we aren't gypsies by any stretch, we want to keep our animals with us. We've always had our pets cremated. And we do have their ashes returned to us.

Old 08-05-2011, 04:18 PM

1,142 posts, read 2,134,284 times
I had to put the love of my life Missy Pearl to sleep in October due to kidney disease - I chose cremation because we were in Florida to see my father and attend his funeral - I had no intention of leaving her down there - However even if her health changed here I still would have done the same thing - The reason being is I have the ability to take her with me where ever I go - As far as the pricing goes I believe that it cost me about 200.00 to put her to sleep and have her cremated - The mortuary did put her remains in a beautiful carved rosewood box and also a copy of Over the Rainbow Bridge on parchment paper suitable for framing - I know I really did pay for it but it was nice that I didn't pick up her remains in a cardboard box like my friend did -
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets