Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2007, 11:36 AM

1,397 posts, read 4,848,570 times

Advertisements

Chip Implants Linked to Animal Tumors - AOL News (broken link)

I've never knew that...Hef is chipped...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2007, 12:01 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,283,832 times
I had read this.....and there have been several reports, particularly out of Texas, of pets being euth'd that were chipped. I have to admit, this one makes me nervous - Rotties are so prone to cancer anyway - but without the chip, they will stand a 100% chance of being euthanized at our local shelter if they turn up without any i.d. We have big tags - we have them chipped - I'm not sure where my paranoia over them being lost ends and my paranoia over tumors begins! Anyone have any other thoughts on this? I'm sorry, I just don't trust the FDA to make the best choice for my dogs....and it makes total sense in my very small mind that a transponder COULD be responsible - it's a foreign body, for one thing....first the food scare, the ongoing BSL scare, now this.....good grief.

Old 09-10-2007, 12:19 PM

1,397 posts, read 4,848,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
Rotties are so prone to cancer anyway - but without the chip, they will stand a 100% chance of being euthanized at our local shelter if they turn up without any i.d. We have big tags - we have them chipped - I'm not sure where my paranoia over them being lost ends and my paranoia over tumors begins! Anyone have any other thoughts on this? I'm sorry, I just don't trust the FDA to make the best choice for my dogs....and it makes total sense in my very small mind that a transponder COULD be responsible - it's a foreign body, for one thing....first the food scare, the ongoing BSL scare, now this.....good grief.
It's the same in our local shelter. Plus we have a big tag ( Hef ) as well. We were actually thinking about chipping Portia, but not anymore!!!I stopped trusting FDA when it comes to certain medications and regulations, but it is just so frustrating that all of this is happening. And FDA is "supposed to be" the one that protects people and their interests. You are absolutely right about everything you said. I am sure that there are a lot of people who had their dogs chipped, or they got them from shelters where they were chips...How sad.

Old 09-10-2007, 04:52 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,337,621 times
Try tatooing no health problems with that!

Old 09-15-2007, 06:30 AM

402 posts, read 2,211,987 times
Most of these studies were done in the 90's...there's a reason a big deal wasn't made about it then. Poorly conducted studies, with no controls (meaning, what was the rate of cancer without the chips?...especially in lab mice?!?!). I agree, the risk of a dog being lost/stolen/euth b/c of not having a chip is FAR higher than the risk of cancer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets