Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 06:53 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,568,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Your experience with the shed would seem to be unique. Rats don't seem to pay humans much mind, especially if they've been conditioned not to worry about their presence. They go where the food is, they go where the shelter is, they go where the warm is. Just like us, they want food, shelter and safety. And, while they aren't nearly he risk of a large predator, my point was to illustrate why people kill them. They are trapped in death traps because they present threats to human health and well being.
By my observation and what I heard, it seemed to me that the rats were eating the mice. I would hear the mice being chased and squeeling like crazy, so that's the conclusion I came to. I could be completely wrong. Both the mice and the rats are gone, that's about all I do know. For awhile we had snakes in the yard, they may have eaten their fill - we don't see them anymore. We think they were gopher snakes.
Such drama, they do not threaten my well being in any way. We pose much more of a danger to them.

I'm not saying everybody ought to live and let live as I do, just think about what you are doing, have a good reason for it, and be humane and compassionate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2013, 07:16 PM

1,658 posts, read 2,695,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
...And then? Oh Lord, the idea of Karma comes into play!
Got to thinking, yup! What does around, comes around, and that's how I'm going to die some day, for my punishment!
Relax, odds are in your favor that you will not die of poisoning while trapped underneath a kitchen cabinet, or by being crushed by an oversized snap trap. However, the friends and relatives of slain rodents have been known to chew on the ears and toes of the killer while he slept at night.

Seriously, OP, close the **** door. Exclusion is the key to solving your problem. It's easier on you and the rat. Do you think that this is the only rat in the neighborhood, and that this won't happen again? Put that polecat of yours on a leash when he needs to go outdoors.

While you still may be able to humanely trap and relocate the rat, keep in mind that it just may die of fright when your pet claws at the trap in anticipation of a fresh meal.

Old 10-12-2013, 07:25 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,329,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
By my observation and what I heard, it seemed to me that the rats were eating the mice. I would hear the mice being chased and squeeling like crazy, so that's the conclusion I came to. I could be completely wrong. Both the mice and the rats are gone, that's about all I do know. For awhile we had snakes in the yard, they may have eaten their fill - we don't see them anymore. We think they were gopher snakes.
Such drama, they do not threaten my well being in any way. We pose much more of a danger to them.

I'm not saying everybody ought to live and let live as I do, just think about what you are doing, have a good reason for it, and be humane and compassionate.
My compassion stems from my childhood bedtime stories. Almost my entire family starved to death in Stalin's artificial famines. My mother woke up one morning to find the bloated corpses of her mother and her brothers. She was five. People were so desperate, they were eating each other after all the cats and dogs were gone. If you could buy a scrap of meat, you didn't ask where it came from. My grandfather was in a gulag in Siberia, and his job was to bury all the dead after they perished from hunger...nothing but skin and bones.
I now work in a hospital where they throw out a lot of food. It's absolutely abhorrent to me. I bring it home and feed whoever is hungry...it doesn't matter what species.

Old 10-12-2013, 08:57 PM

23,223 posts, read 29,056,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPassinThru View Post
Relax, odds are in your favor that you will not die of poisoning while trapped underneath a kitchen cabinet, or by being crushed by an oversized snap trap. However, the friends and relatives of slain rodents have been known to chew on the ears and toes of the killer while he slept at night.

Seriously, OP, close the **** door. Exclusion is the key to solving your problem. It's easier on you and the rat. Do you think that this is the only rat in the neighborhood, and that this won't happen again? Put that polecat of yours on a leash when he needs to go outdoors.

While you still may be able to humanely trap and relocate the rat, keep in mind that it just may die of fright when your pet claws at the trap in anticipation of a fresh meal.
Being I sleep all day, and my unemployed roommate is up all day, he told me he has not seen or heard of the rat all day today. Perhaps he really did die underneath that cupboard, perhaps of fright, we shall see!

I live in a townhouse complex, and I've been asking my neighbors, who have lived here for 5-10-20 years, if they've ever seen a rat or a mouse in the neighborhood, and none can recall ever seeing one, so they're as puzzled as I am, having lived here 17 years and having never seen one myself.

I'm really surprised by that, as on trash days, we put our trash out in the alley, lots of food for them to munch on, 2 days a week.

I have eliminated the sight of any food left lying around, like bowls of fruit, but there remains my ferret's food bowl, only source of food for that rat that I know of. Eliminating any source of food, I can see that that is the key to keeping it away from the house.

Thanks for all the varied responses, I didn't expect such a variety of responses. It would have been easier if the majority of the posts had been consistent.

Old 10-12-2013, 11:14 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,513,348 times
Quote:
Thanks for all the varied responses, I didn't expect such a variety of responses. It would have been easier if the majority of the posts had been consistent.
Really? Every issue has two sides. There will always be some for and some against.

Old 10-13-2013, 02:18 AM

16,489 posts, read 24,485,615 times
Have you seen rat/mice droppings around your townhouse? Usually if you have mice or rats you see their little black poop pellets around. If you think they are gone but find new poop you know they are still there. I know you have a ferret that goes in and out and that is how you think the rat got in, which certainly could be true. Be care because all kinds of creatures could enter that way. I had a neighbor that had a raccoon get into their house through a doggie door.

Old 10-13-2013, 11:20 AM

8 posts, read 11,353 times
Default killem

Kill everyone of them, of course with a trap or poison, or a bb gun. But, I don't think I could stabb or torture them. There was some under the crawl space of our house one time and, I couldn't sleep until my husband got rid of them. They carry diseases and parasites. I live in the south, Roll Tide! We only have them every once in a while, once every other year or two. Ya'll city slickers probably know more about an actual infestation of them. I guess you could call the "pidepiper". LOL

Old 10-13-2013, 11:26 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times
Quote:
I've never seen it, but my roommate has, but there's been a rat coming into my house, due to my keeping the doggie door open a crack for my ferret to come in and out of the enclosed courtyard.

Hunting down this rat has been much more emotionally traumatic than I could ever have imagined! Too soft of a heart I guess, even for the fate of rat!!! Imagine my working in a meat-packing plant!!

Initially, I bought a mouse trap, set it out in the garage (where my roommate has also seen this rat) with some peanut butter and chocolate. But the night I did it, I agonized all night long, fearing the rat would nibble on it, and not die, but die a slow agonizing, painful death. I didn't even want to go out into the garage, fearing I'd run into such a scene, and then what? Half-dead, what to do? Well, after a week, the rat never took the bait!

I do realize, having run into people who have pet rats, that they can be wonderful pets to have, so that hasn't helped matters at all, knowing this.

Last night, I heard some noise under my bathroom cupboards, there's a narrow slit underneath where I believe this rat made his way in, and so my roommate squirted some poison in thru the crack, and sealed it up with a temporary board. I almost went crazy, as an hour later I could still hear some movement underneath, and worrying if this rat was going thru an agonizing death. And then? Oh Lord, the idea of Karma comes into play!

Got to thinking, yup! What does around, comes around, and that's how I'm going to die some day, for my punishment!

Anyone else ever go through this trauma, just merely killing a rat?

Tonite, I haven't heard a sound coming from underneath those cupboards, and I pray and pray and pray that poor rat didn't die in an agonizing way! And if so, will you please forgive my cruelty?
It used to bother me to see the cat (many years ago, not the cat we have now) catch a rat or mouse and tease it before killing it. Other than that, I have to say, no, it doesn't bother me one bit. Wild animals belong outside, if they are in the house they need to be disposed of. If you can get them outside fine, otherwise, hello mouse or rat trap!!!!!

Old 10-13-2013, 01:02 PM

32,944 posts, read 3,930,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggirl704 View Post
Kill everyone of them, of course with a trap or poison, or a bb gun. But, I don't think I could stabb or torture them. There was some under the crawl space of our house one time and, I couldn't sleep until my husband got rid of them. They carry diseases and parasites. I live in the south, Roll Tide! We only have them every once in a while, once every other year or two. Ya'll city slickers probably know more about an actual infestation of them. I guess you could call the "pidepiper". LOL
Absolutely! Kill them! Along with diseases and parasites they are very destructive. I have no sympathy for them at all. (Fortunately I have no experiences with rats, just mice.) They don't get in our house but recently they got into one of our cars. It took my husband a bit of investigating to figure out how they got in the car (newer model car) and fix the problem. However, it took some doing to get rid of the pee smell. GROSS, GROSS, GROSS! (The car has since been traded.)

Old 10-13-2013, 02:56 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,982,574 times
Quote:
How Do You Feel About Killing Rats/Mice?
I'd rather give them kisses until they bite my lip, THEN I kill them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets