Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2016, 07:27 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times

Advertisements

We lost one of our two dogs at age 13 about 1-1/2 years ago, then the other this past summer at age 13. While my wife has talked about getting a puppy, I'm fine with going without at least until we retire and move in 4-5 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2016, 12:08 PM

4,876 posts, read 4,207,524 times
I've always felt the need to get another pet shortly after one passes. I guess I just feel like my heart has a hole in it that needs something to help it heal.

My husband and I started out with three dogs. When the first one passed, I was okay with just the two. But when the second one passed about 18mos later, I wanted another dog. It took a few weeks, but I did get another one.

Now we just have the one and for many reasons we are staying with just one for now. We will get another one when this one passes, if not before.

Old 01-18-2016, 11:52 PM

22,859 posts, read 6,439,215 times
It was about 2 months after we had to put down our last peke
that we got the peke we have now....the house seemed so empty.
I would get another one again.....

Old 01-22-2016, 10:49 AM

149 posts, read 166,634 times
I'm the unusual one. We got our next cat the day after we lost the previous one. We strongly felt that the cat was telling us it was time to give up the hard fight and let her go peacefully. Any further work we did to try to extend her life would be cruelty. Rescuing another cat right away felt like fate was dictating that the cat who needed us most was out there now and that we would find him or her. Even now-especially since we've been volunteering at a shelter- I strongly feel like the cat we took would have had a good chance of being returned by other people.

I honestly couldn't go petless for long. I went out of my mind when I was in the dorms at university because it was the first time I didn't have a pet.

But everyone is different in this regard. I understand that others would need time to heal. For my husband and I, rescuing another soul was part of the healing.

Old 01-22-2016, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majesticmarmocet View Post
I'm the unusual one. We got our next cat the day after we lost the previous one. We strongly felt that the cat was telling us it was time to give up the hard fight and let her go peacefully. Any further work we did to try to extend her life would be cruelty. Rescuing another cat right away felt like fate was dictating that the cat who needed us most was out there now and that we would find him or her. Even now-especially since we've been volunteering at a shelter- I strongly feel like the cat we took would have had a good chance of being returned by other people.

I honestly couldn't go petless for long. I went out of my mind when I was in the dorms at university because it was the first time I didn't have a pet.

But everyone is different in this regard. I understand that others would need time to heal. For my husband and I, rescuing another soul was part of the healing.
I understand what you mean, there is no replacing the one you lost, but there is room in your
heart, and the need, to love again..

Old 01-22-2016, 03:07 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,898,606 times
When my husband and I first met, we adopted a cat named Ozzy who had been taken in by a veterinarian due to his owner passing away. She was having a hard time adopting him out, since he was 12 years old and most people wanted either kittens or a younger cat. Ozzy seemed to take to us right away and the vet assured us he was in robust health.

He was healthy as could be until the last month of his life. He developed a very fast growing, aggressive form of jaw cancer. He was a couple of months short of his 23rd birthday when we took him in to be euthanized. It was heartbreaking for us but it was the right thing to do. We didn't want him to suffer.

We had another cat that had been Ozzy's companion, but still vowed "no more cats".

The odd thing was that the day after we lost Ozzy, a tiny kitten showed up meowing and carrying on in our driveway. It was a tabby like Ozzy had been, albeit with different markings. We couldn't find who the kitten belonged to and of course couldn't just leave the kitten out there. So we ended up with the kitten...

So much for "no more cats". We have 2 cats right now--both of them rescues as well.

Old 01-22-2016, 03:31 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,431,350 times
Not I, and this comes from someone that spent a couple decades in rescue. When I lost my dog it broke something in me. Add to that a husband with a terminal illness. We have chickens, ducks, goats and a rabbit and love them. I will always have 'livestock' pets, but no more dogs. We have five now, but one we will lose very soon due to medical issues. When the last four are gone we won't have one again.

Old 01-23-2016, 09:09 AM

3,091 posts, read 3,967,872 times
Our Angel passed in August. She required a lot of care and was skittish because she could not see, so required a lot of help. She loved to be outside and could go for a short walk. I came home from work one day and found her gone in her bed. I swore I'd never get another dog, and appreciated not having to spend so much time providing her care. I did not begrudge one minute of care I provided to her. She was a wonderful pet all her life and deserved the best.

Then my hubby for Christmas visited our local pet shelter. They normally don't take in strays, but there was a 3 month pup who had just been brought in a few hours before, found on the street. She was on the streets since birth, they believe, skinny, terrible case of worms, terrible skin condition. He adopted her for me for Christmas right then and there. I learned about her when I opened a box with dog bowls and a new pink camo leash and collar. I was a little stressed at first, but then he showed me her picture.

We visited her the day after Christmas. She was weak, scheduled for surgery on Monday, the 28th. They were already treating her for the worms, giving antibiotics for the skin condition.

Fast forward to January 23. We have been giving her the best of the best food, she has grown SO much, skin condition gone, worms gone.

She has toys and balls all over the house, loves being outside chasing her ball. We are on a lake, but she doesn't bother the ducks (I think they scare her a little). Shoes are big with her, she hates having her teeth brushed.

To answer your question, I did not think I was ready for a dog, but she brings a huge amount of love and joy. Now we have to get her into her puppy training to teach her some manners, how to walk on a leash. Housebreaking is going pretty well so far.

Old 01-23-2016, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolac View Post
Our Angel passed in August. She required a lot of care and was skittish because she could not see, so required a lot of help. She loved to be outside and could go for a short walk. I came home from work one day and found her gone in her bed. I swore I'd never get another dog, and appreciated not having to spend so much time providing her care. I did not begrudge one minute of care I provided to her. She was a wonderful pet all her life and deserved the best.

Then my hubby for Christmas visited our local pet shelter. They normally don't take in strays, but there was a 3 month pup who had just been brought in a few hours before, found on the street. She was on the streets since birth, they believe, skinny, terrible case of worms, terrible skin condition. He adopted her for me for Christmas right then and there. I learned about her when I opened a box with dog bowls and a new pink camo leash and collar. I was a little stressed at first, but then he showed me her picture.

We visited her the day after Christmas. She was weak, scheduled for surgery on Monday, the 28th. They were already treating her for the worms, giving antibiotics for the skin condition.

Fast forward to January 23. We have been giving her the best of the best food, she has grown SO much, skin condition gone, worms gone.

She has toys and balls all over the house, loves being outside chasing her ball. We are on a lake, but she doesn't bother the ducks (I think they scare her a little). Shoes are big with her, she hates having her teeth brushed.

To answer your question, I did not think I was ready for a dog, but she brings a huge amount of love and joy. Now we have to get her into her puppy training to teach her some manners, how to walk on a leash. Housebreaking is going pretty well so far.
A perfectly wonderful story of loving again for you..and a new chance at life for the puppy.

Old 01-23-2016, 11:51 AM

5,853 posts, read 5,283,360 times
Fairly soon-probably within a week. You NEVER replace the one you lost but adopting a new furbaby is a way to help heal the hole that you have in your heart and besides there are so many who need loving homes. To me, it is a win-win situation.

Cat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets