Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 05:18 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times

Advertisements

Dog hair is destroying my house? OMG. What the?

I have a Roomba. New house, came with carpet which we don't want, once it is worn down in comes hard wood flooring or laminate. I have HEPA filter on AC and a air filter down stairs. I have them clipped down, I brush them.

Why the hysterics?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2016, 05:01 PM

10,093 posts, read 6,436,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
How do you manage to travel? Weekends out of town? Last minute road trips?
I traveled all over the continental United States, Hawaii, and Alaska as well as Puerto Rico for the Navy. Some of my trips were back-to-back and lasted over two weeks or more. At the time I had 5 cats, 2 of which were long-haired and shed like crazy. I had a wonderful pet sitter who also worked at my vet's office and took great care of them. She could come at short notice and was very flexible about scheduling her visits as well. I had a tried-and-true routine that as soon as I got home, I broke out the vacuum for my antique heart pine floors, simply to get up the fur and any kitty litter that strayed from the boxes. It certainly worked well for 10 years. BTW, even then, anyone who ever visited my house remarked on how neat and clean it always looked!

Old 08-26-2016, 06:18 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,862,283 times
why do I put up with dog hair everywhere?
because the love my dogs give me is worth well more than the time it takes to run a vacume cleaner...
because the fact that one of my dogs routeinly keeps me alive by alerting to drops in my blood sugar and seizures, is worth more than any dirty carpet...
because having that comfort of something that loves me without condition on y worst days is beyond the value of that dog hair covered couch or pawprint mangled rug...

Because we live in a world where hardwood floors and vacume cleaners exist...

because THEY are my
Quote:
most prized possession

as for the not learn very much...
I call bull...
my dobe knows more than most people...I swear she could probably do my taxes if she could grow an opposable thumb.

Last edited by foxywench; 08-26-2016 at 06:28 AM..

Old 08-27-2016, 09:10 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,988,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown00 View Post
i love dogs. i have 2 of my own - dachshund & shih tzu. i also know all dogs shed. they just have a different level of shedding

those with a dog breed that sheds a lot - WHY?!?!

why do/did you choose that dog?

Because his personality, energy, and body language told me that he would be a valued addition and member of my family.

why do you tolerate it?

I didn't know that I was "tolerating" anything. It is a package deal- dogs come with hair that often sheds. The joy and companionship my dogs bring to my life is worth any amount of hair.

you know everything they touch becomes destroyed, esp your most prized possession - your property, your house. every moment of every second your dog is lowering the value of everything you own. i've seen cars have more fur on them then actual cushioning. every moment they are causing you more headache because you have to babysit and clean up after them. every moment they are giving you more work to do, more effort, more fatigue. i just don't get it, WHY?!?

You love hyperbole, right? I have no idea why you think that dog hair destroys anything. There are a zillion different tools that remove pet hair from all manner of items including one well-known machine called a vacuum, and oh wait, there is another one called a brush (verrrry easy to use, no electricity required). My canine companions are worth every bit of "babysitting", cleaning, and effort that is needed, which really is very little compared to what they give me.
Given your rant, er- feelings- about how dirty, messy, and time-consuming dogs are, I take it that you don't have children?

Old 09-01-2016, 05:51 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,736,880 times
Quote:
i love dogs. i have 2 of my own - dachshund & shih tzu. i also know all dogs shed. they just have a different level of shedding

why do/did you choose that dog? why do you tolerate it? you know everything they touch becomes destroyed, esp your most prized possession - your property, your house. every moment of every second your dog is lowering the value of everything you own. i've seen cars have more fur on them then actual cushioning. every moment they are causing you more headache because you have to babysit and clean up after them. every moment they are giving you more work to do, more effort, more fatigue. i just don't get it, WHY?!?
Because I don't care about dog hair. Additionally, I don't care if others do either.

Old 09-02-2016, 12:29 PM

226 posts, read 199,002 times
Quote:

why do/did you choose that dog? why do you tolerate it? you know everything they touch becomes destroyed, esp your most prized possession - your property, your house. every moment of every second your dog is lowering the value of everything you own. i've seen cars have more fur on them then actual cushioning. every moment they are causing you more headache because you have to babysit and clean up after them. every moment they are giving you more work to do, more effort, more fatigue. i just don't get it, WHY?!?
Hey, kids are messy, too! Did you consider that these mild annoyances to the rest of us are kind of a big deal to you-signalling some other possible type of intolerance and impatience with life~souls, heart and lives are WAY more important than a carseat with fur-or spilled milk-on them.

Old 09-02-2016, 01:25 PM

997 posts, read 937,599 times
Some people are pet people. We need pets.

Old 09-09-2016, 08:25 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,512,386 times
I have a German Shepherd. She is actually my grandson's companion/service dog.
Her shedding time begins on January 1 and ends on December 31, therefore I have plenty of swiffer products and furniture covers and an expensive furmigator. She is worth it

Did I mention she also droolls her drinking water all over the floor

If you come to visit she will play ball with you and might let you sit on her couch.

Old 10-14-2016, 11:00 AM

483 posts, read 418,557 times
I live, eat, breathe my Roman's magick fairy fur!!!
And I am allergic too but I dun care...
Year 4 going 5 of loving him!!!

My precious son!!!
Attached Thumbnails
those with pets that shed a lot - why do you do it? why do you tolerate it?-photogrid_1473889355856.jpg  

Old 11-04-2016, 10:31 PM

37,617 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
I traveled all over the continental United States, Hawaii, and Alaska as well as Puerto Rico for the Navy. Some of my trips were back-to-back and lasted over two weeks or more. At the time I had 5 cats, 2 of which were long-haired and shed like crazy. I had a wonderful pet sitter who also worked at my vet's office and took great care of them. She could come at short notice and was very flexible about scheduling her visits as well. I had a tried-and-true routine that as soon as I got home, I broke out the vacuum for my antique heart pine floors, simply to get up the fur and any kitty litter that strayed from the boxes. It certainly worked well for 10 years. BTW, even then, anyone who ever visited my house remarked on how neat and clean it always looked!
I can leave my house for a weekend, with NO notice. That's that way I like it. No sitter to worry about, no pet to pick up when I get home...nothing but coming home to a clean empty house. That's for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets