Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2019, 11:44 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,947,840 times

Advertisements

Can pets like cats and dogs actually feel love?

Do wild animals that live in packs feel love for their pack mates?

Do the mothers feel love for their children, and then feel extreme sadness when one of the young die? What is the motivated factors that makes mother mammals raise their young for a bit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2019, 08:49 AM

3,187 posts, read 1,509,317 times
I think they can. They can feel love toward one another and people. I treat mine like family members and they respond in kind.

These feelings are felt by all animals. I grew up around farms and have seen it first hand. You mentioned mothers; here is a video of how distressed cows are when they are separated from their calves. I can never understand how people who profess to love dogs and cats so much can still think it's ok to eat baby animals. <SMH>

Dairy Farmer Tearfully Admits Mother Cows Cry for Days After Being Separated From Their Babies - One Green PlanetOne Green Planet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPSRw5L3g7g

Old 02-23-2019, 08:51 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
They have done fMRIs to this effect (although the methodology is suspect in some).

Yes. Dogs really do love you.
No. They don't love anyone who feeds them.
A family dog will actually prefer praise from a loved one over food from a stranger.

Old 02-23-2019, 09:09 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times
Have you seen the videos of an elephant mourning over the body of a dead relative? Of a dog sitting beside another dead dog?

Of course they do....if you have a cat or dog, you know this is true.

Old 02-23-2019, 11:02 AM

1,483 posts, read 1,382,757 times
In a single word: absolutely.

Old 02-23-2019, 04:33 PM

23,306 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post

Do wild animals that live in packs feel love for their pack mates?

Do the mothers feel love for their children, and then feel extreme sadness when one of the young die? What is the motivated factors that makes mother mammals raise their young for a bit?
Its more likely in social species like dogs. Part of it is because social behavior (including care or affection) for other group members favors survival of all the members of the pack.

Love is also a form of investment. If you love something you tend to take better care of it, and that benefits you especially if its a mate or your offspring. If you love your offspring and take care of them better they are more likely to survive to pass on YOUR genes.

The length of time a mammal takes care of young isn't just a matter of affection, its a matter of how long it takes that particular species to become physically independent. Mammals nurse for some given amount of time. They tend to be born at a less-developed state so it tends to take longer for them to mature physically. Also, social mammals need time to learn social behavior.

Of course this is sort of a coldly biological view, but it does help explain how the motivation started. Pet animals have also been selected over generations. Those that tended to show more affection for their humans ended up being bred and picked for pets more and more often. They get what they need from their humans and have a protected life. THAT is also a survival mechanism! Thank goodness!

Old 02-23-2019, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motownnative View Post
I think they can. They can feel love toward one another and people. I treat mine like family members and they respond in kind.

These feelings are felt by all animals. I grew up around farms and have seen it first hand. You mentioned mothers; here is a video of how distressed cows are when they are separated from their calves. I can never understand how people who profess to love dogs and cats so much can still think it's ok to eat baby animals. <SMH>

Dairy Farmer Tearfully Admits Mother Cows Cry for Days After Being Separated From Their Babies - One Green PlanetOne Green Planet

I feel bad about eating meat now. What about fish? Do they feel love?

Old 02-23-2019, 08:06 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,652,717 times
Is this even a serious question?

If you have a pet whom you love, you know the answer.

Old 02-23-2019, 08:12 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Is this even a serious question?

If you have a pet whom you love, you know the answer.
LOL, that does not mean it "loves" me back.

Old 02-23-2019, 08:13 PM

1,559 posts, read 1,049,332 times
Quote:

As a child, I spent part of each summer on my relative's farm and can remember lying awake at night hearing the cows crying after they were separated from their calves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets