Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2020, 12:05 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,396,101 times

Advertisements

Is it possible to get COVID from my dog or cat? Of course, the dog or cat would have to have the COVID first to passs it on. Our cats do go outside, but just to an enclosed backyard.

We often take our dog to a dog park and let her run free. She does interact with other dogs there, including nose-touching, sniffing, etc. They also have a splash pond they love to splash in, and drink from. Our dog does lick us a lot, even though we try to discourage it. She also licks our cats, one in particular is her "favorite".

Lets say dog picks up COVID from the dog park, then passes it to one of our cats. Could we possibly then be infected when the dog or cat interacts with us?

Informed answers, please!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2020, 03:49 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,806,193 times
no.

Old 03-04-2020, 04:27 AM

1,664 posts, read 1,915,551 times
I would not go so far as to say a flat out “ no”, but I wouldn’t hit the “yes” panic button either.

COVID-19 is thought to be zoonotic.

https://www.wbur.org/hereandnow/2020...origins-deaths

The manner of transmission was not brought up in this article, which you should read in its entirety.

In the case of Distemper, for example all the diseased animal has to do is pass thru the living area of another animal - the disease transmits thru the air.

EPM is another example. It can be transmitted to horses from grazing near opossum feces or, if the opossum leaves its manure on a bale of hay and the horse happens to eat from that section of hay bale, the horse can easily develop EPM.

A cat could get COVID-19 and that cat could possibly transmit it to you. You might possibly end up being a carrier without ever getting sick - I don’t know, that’s just speculation on my part, based on certain serious diseases horses test positive for, carry that virus their entire lives yet never get sick from it, while the disease blows up in the next horse and it’s either fatal or near-fatal.

You can always check the CDC map to see if there is an outbreak in your area.

You can also google credible .gov and .edu sources in the hopes of finding reliable information. Don’t rely on internet warrior comments unless there’s a credible link to back up their comment(s).

Old 03-04-2020, 08:59 AM

1,860 posts, read 1,244,829 times
https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/02/asia/...hnk/index.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/28/s...ecautions.html

https://www.mysuncoast.com/2020/03/0...avirus-covid-/

The experts and "internet warriors" agree.. NO!

Old 03-04-2020, 09:27 AM

1,664 posts, read 1,915,551 times
Lollol lollol. Well alrighty then .

You DID notice the CNN article said “ALMOST definitely not.

The NY Times article said “SO FAR the short answer is no”

The My Sun Coast article is equally as ambiguous but at least they had the good sense to quote WHO — and WHO isn’t even sure because they can’t trace the animal origin COVID-19 came from.

Nobody really knows for sure so, as I said in a previous thread —- if one is too lazy to wash your hands after taking care of business in the Walmart bathroom, better learn to do that and carry hand sanitizer with you.

Old 03-04-2020, 09:50 AM

10,114 posts, read 19,396,101 times
Thanks for all the replies folks!

Old 03-04-2020, 10:57 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,806,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normashirley View Post
Lollol lollol. Well alrighty then .

You DID notice the CNN article said “ALMOST definitely not.

The NY Times article said “SO FAR the short answer is no”

The My Sun Coast article is equally as ambiguous but at least they had the good sense to quote WHO — and WHO isn’t even sure because they can’t trace the animal origin COVID-19 came from.

Nobody really knows for sure so, as I said in a previous thread —- if one is too lazy to wash your hands after taking care of business in the Walmart bathroom, better learn to do that and carry hand sanitizer with you.
Not disagreeing, but the problem with tossing out such probabilities is that many people are rather irrational in their actions. Give them a probability of one in 500 trillion they can catch this virus from a cat, people might get in their head to go on a mass spree killing cats, dumping cats, etc.

Old 03-07-2020, 06:57 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,371,355 times
no you cant

Old 12-14-2020, 12:28 PM

35,013 posts, read 16,972,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Is it possible to get COVID from my dog or cat? Of course, the dog or cat would have to have the COVID first to passs it on. Our cats do go outside, but just to an enclosed backyard.

We often take our dog to a dog park and let her run free. She does interact with other dogs there, including nose-touching, sniffing, etc. They also have a splash pond they love to splash in, and drink from. Our dog does lick us a lot, even though we try to discourage it. She also licks our cats, one in particular is her "favorite".

Lets say dog picks up COVID from the dog park, then passes it to one of our cats. Could we possibly then be infected when the dog or cat interacts with us?

Informed answers, please!
Dogs and cats over the age of two definitely need a mask.

Old 12-14-2020, 12:42 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,017,949 times
According to the CDC, the probability of a dog or cat spreading the COVID virus seem pretty low.
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...g/animals.html

However, a dog or a cat and (some other mammals) CAN seem to catch it from humans, and then pass it on to other animals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets