Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2021, 10:48 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,701,180 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are elderly and adopt older dogs because we don't want to leave a homeless pet behind if we die. A puppy could live 15 years, and it's unlikely that we have 15 years left. We have done fine with a local shelter. Adoption fee typically runs about $200, and we have never adopted a mutt. So far, two miniature dachshunds, a Large Munsterlander, a springer and a chocolate lab, over the years. We currently have a fabulous English Springer we adopted from ESRA https://www.springerrescue.org/ that was considered unadoptable because of urinary incontinence. A prescription for Proin solved that problem, and she has never had an "accident" in the house.

Give the shelters another look. They get purebred dogs in all the time, but they quickly get adopted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2021, 11:58 PM

1 posts, read 508 times
To OP: I wish you lived closer (Southern Illinois area), I could help you find a loving pet as I foster for the nonprofit rescue Puppy Rescue 911 based in Ellis Grove, IL. Our website is http://everycreaturecounts.org
We've had wonderful Lab mix puppies we fostered last year, a chiweenie, Shih Tzus and 3 purebred Yorkies who were breeder dogs in puppy mills down South. Yes, they do have issues but once these pups from not-so-loving situations decompress, they're the most loving, grateful companion animals you could ever hope for.

Old 01-10-2021, 08:37 AM

7,392 posts, read 3,546,926 times
We got our rescue puppy from a small shelter a few towns over. No questions asked. We took the dog home the same day we saw her. just had to give a small check. It was almost too easy. The pup is now almost a year old and she is really great all around.

We were rejected by many other shelters because we never owned a dog before, or dogs were adopted by people who were on waiting lists. I know many people adopted dogs due to the pandemic. For us it was the kids. They were begging for a dog and I was denied a dog as a child so I didn't want to deprive them to grow up without a pup.

Old 01-10-2021, 09:10 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,034,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
This is kind of a vent, but also sincerely asking...

So our last dog died back in June. "We" (mostly me) have gotten serious about looking for another dog within the last month or two.

I'm not particular (too much) about the breed, and I'd prefer to get a rescue, but lawdy, IMO, these rescue groups put up a lot of barriers!

We found one little cutie, and when we inquired about her, we were told "she can only be adopted out to a single man. She doesn't like women". OK. well, since she'd be mostly MY baby, I guess that wont work. Other dogs/other rescue groups are like "must have fenced in yard, no other pets, must have vet references, and we will come check out your abode, and we will charge you $300, $400, $500 rehoming fee on top of all that." (I get charging a rehoming fee, as the rescue group does what it can to get the dog healthy, and recoup some of their costs, but sometimes I think "Brother, you're wanting me to rescue, rather than buy from a breeder. Maybe I should be charging YOU to take your rescue with obvious behavioral or medical issues."

The local humane societies don't seem to have the same restrictions...but in our area, the dogs are all some mix of pits or labs. And if they're NOT pits or labs, they're seniors on medications for the rest of their who-knows-how-long-they-have-left lives. We've already lost 2 dogs in 2 years to old age. I'd like to have a dog that would have a few years left in them...you know?

I've even resorted to looking on Craigslist for dogs. Most of the time, when a dog is available, what I'm seeing is someone giving up their dog for this or that reason...and AGAIN, they want a "rehoming fee" and they want (again) a $200, $300, $400 rehoming fee. One or two that I saw was justifying the rehoming fee because they'd also be throwing in some extra dog food, blankets, bed...whatever. And again, I think to myself "You're trying to 'give' a dog away with issues."

Sigh. I really didn't want to have to buy a puppy, for a few different reasons, but I'm considering it.

Plus...maybe there's a shortage on available dogs because of the pandemic, and everyone wanting a companion...I don't know.

But my question...are there other resources I haven't considered? I've even looked as far as 100 miles away.
You live in Saint Charles, right?

What kind of dog are you looking for if you don't want a pit, lab, aussie, or hound?

Small dog? Big dog?

Puppy? Adult?

Have you been looking at the St Charles Pet Adoption Center, St Louis County Animal Control, APA, Humane Society, Five Acres, Stray Rescue?

None of those places require fences or do home checks. And if they're saying you can't have another dog, that's only because of that particular dog. No rescue has a blanket "no other dogs" rule. I think Stray Rescue is the only one who does a vet check. Did your previous dog not have a vet? That's all they're looking for.

If you don't have a vet (and you do live in St Charles), I recommend Mexico Road Animal Hospital. That's where I take my dogs, and they're great and very affordable.

Finding a dog isn't a one day search. It takes time. Yes, the places I named get a lot of lab and pitbulls, but you'll also find plenty of other mixes if you give it some time. I think I took about 3 weeks when I got my dog from the APA last summer. I looked everywhere, everyday.

If you're wanting a puppy, look up A Mother's Safe Haven on Facebook. She fosters the pregnant dogs and puppies for the St Charles Pet Adoption Center.

Old 01-10-2021, 12:34 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,701,180 times
Re: adoption fees

Dog snatchers look for free dogs they can sell to lab facilities or dog fighters as bait. People charge for dogs to cut the profit out of that scam.

Old 01-10-2021, 06:44 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,591,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Re: adoption fees

Dog snatchers look for free dogs they can sell to lab facilities or dog fighters as bait. People charge for dogs to cut the profit out of that scam.

Laboratory animals are purpose bred. The animal has a record of everything it has experienced in detail for its entire life until the day it does or is adopted out of the lab as happens for a lot of the pet type animals. They are often selected for a particular study based on genetic details it has been bred to have. Good research requires it.

Old 01-11-2021, 07:00 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,038,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
You live in Saint Charles, right?

What kind of dog are you looking for if you don't want a pit, lab, aussie, or hound?

Small dog? Big dog?

Puppy? Adult?

Have you been looking at the St Charles Pet Adoption Center, St Louis County Animal Control, APA, Humane Society, Five Acres, Stray Rescue?

None of those places require fences or do home checks. And if they're saying you can't have another dog, that's only because of that particular dog. No rescue has a blanket "no other dogs" rule. I think Stray Rescue is the only one who does a vet check. Did your previous dog not have a vet? That's all they're looking for.

If you don't have a vet (and you do live in St Charles), I recommend Mexico Road Animal Hospital. That's where I take my dogs, and they're great and very affordable.

Finding a dog isn't a one day search. It takes time. Yes, the places I named get a lot of lab and pitbulls, but you'll also find plenty of other mixes if you give it some time. I think I took about 3 weeks when I got my dog from the APA last summer. I looked everywhere, everyday.

If you're wanting a puppy, look up A Mother's Safe Haven on Facebook. She fosters the pregnant dogs and puppies for the St Charles Pet Adoption Center.

I'm looking for a small to medium size dog. 9 or 10 months, up to 5 years. Both of my previous dogs did have vets. Harvester Animal Hospital. I have a soft spot for the fuzzy, furry fluffers, but it's not a must. I like terriers (just not pits) spaniels, and of course, all the little designer dogs, and mixes of any of the above.

I have looked at:

St. Charles County Humane Society
5 Acres (they work with St. Charles County)
St. Louis County Humane Society
Find-a-Pet
I check 2 or 3 times a week.

Old 01-11-2021, 07:07 AM

5,281 posts, read 3,085,920 times
We have always kept dogs.
It is actually better said that dogs have always kept us.

I don’t and will never keep a dog that is not safe to me or my family.

I am going to say something that people will hate me for.
I hate most rescue dogs.
I have had the worst luck with rescue dogs.

One actually wanted to attack me and I was actually scared beyond belief.
I was sleeping on my couch and he jumped up on there so I tried to push him off the couch with my feet as I was half awake.
I was greeted with large teeth snapping at me.
He was gone the next day.

A couple of others would run away as fast as the could any time the front door opened and I had to chance them down the street.
That behavior will never fly here.

One rescue dog was really cool just a nice dog but he would try to attack kids or people in wheelchairs.
I will not have any of that.

I have owned some top bred show dogs and I am not thrilled with them either.
They seem to get sick quickly and seem to lack brains that function properly.
Maybe they are inbred.
Who knows?

My favorite dogs have been Australian Cattle dogs or just plain mutts.
Cattle dogs are really just mutts when you think about it and the stay healthy.

We have had good luck with cross breeds like chihuahuas crossed with wiener dogs

I like to “imprint” on our dogs so we like to get them right at their weaning.
4-5 weeks at best.

When I get a new pup we search cattle and sheep farm areas.

My best dogs were either free or cost about a hundred bucks and we have spent bank on pedigree breeds.

I like to get my dogs very very young.
When they are young they have no “baggage” and can be properly trained to your families needs.
You will get the pee and poopy issues at first but you will get a better dog later if you do your part.

Good luck to you.

Old 01-11-2021, 07:18 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,038,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
We have always kept dogs.
It is actually better said that dogs have always kept us.

I don’t and will never keep a dog that is not safe to me or my family.

I am going to say something that people will hate me for.
I hate most rescue dogs.
I have had the worst luck with rescue dogs.

One actually wanted to attack me and I was actually scared beyond belief.
I was sleeping on my couch and he jumped up on there so I tried to push him off the couch with my feet as I was half awake.
I was greeted with large teeth snapping at me.
He was gone the next day.

A couple of others would run away as fast as the could any time the front door opened and I had to chance them down the street.
That behavior will never fly here.

One rescue dog was really cool just a nice dog but he would try to attack kids or people in wheelchairs.
I will not have any of that.

I have owned some top bred show dogs and I am not thrilled with them either.
They seem to get sick quickly and seem to lack brains that function properly.
Maybe they are inbred.
Who knows?

My favorite dogs have been Australian Cattle dogs or just plain mutts.
Cattle dogs are really just mutts when you think about it and the stay healthy.

We have had good luck with cross breeds like chihuahuas crossed with wiener dogs

I like to “imprint” on our dogs so we like to get them right at their weaning.
4-5 weeks at best.

When I get a new pup we search cattle and sheep farm areas.

My best dogs were either free or cost about a hundred bucks and we have spent bank on pedigree breeds.

I like to get my dogs very very young.
When they are young they have no “baggage” and can be properly trained to your families needs.
You will get the pee and poopy issues at first but you will get a better dog later if you do your part.

Good luck to you.

Growing up, we always had 'muts'. All of them good dogs. This last go-around, we had 2 dogs. One was a 'designer dog' from a pet store, and the other was a rescue. Both of them good kids. My llasa/eskie dog was 3 months old when we got him. Our terrier/chichuahua rescue was 9 months old. There's always adjustments to be made. I get that.

Old 01-11-2021, 07:41 AM

5,281 posts, read 3,085,920 times
Just to expand on the pee and poopy issue.

All babies whether human or animal are on a short clock for their needs at this time in their life.
If you think they can hold it like a grown human you will really be disappointed because you don’t understand their needs.

As hard as this is they need attention every 3-4 hours.
It is just the way it is.

So when you get a baby you need to realize this.
Our pups get a feeding and a poopy run every 3-4 hours 24/7 for a long while.

We like to say “let’s go potty” and make a happy run on this and we cheer them to no end.

To this day when we say let’s go potty our 3 dogs wag their tails and come running.

There is a whole lot of puppy training information that you can read but the best that works for me is every 3-4 hours do a potty run and to give them lots of praises.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets