Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2021, 08:28 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,029,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
Just to expand on the pee and poopy issue.

All babies whether human or animal are on a short clock for their needs at this time in their life.
If you think they can hold it like a grown human you will really be disappointed because you don’t understand their needs.

As hard as this is they need attention every 3-4 hours.
It is just the way it is.

So when you get a baby you need to realize this.
Our pups get a feeding and a poopy run every 3-4 hours 24/7 for a long while.

We like to say “let’s go potty” and make a happy run on this and we cheer them to no end.

To this day when we say let’s go potty our 3 dogs wag their tails and come running.

There is a whole lot of puppy training information that you can read but the best that works for me is every 3-4 hours do a potty run and to give them lots of praises.

I know all this. :-) Like I said, I've always grown up with dogs. And, like I said, we got our llasa/eskie when he was 3 months old. I know well, that they need to be taken outside, soon after eating.

That's another reason I don't want a little puppy. At some point, I will be going back in to work. (I'm working from home now) and I don't know WHEN I'll be going back in...just that at some point, I will be. And at that point, I will not be able to take them outside every 20 minutes to 30 minutes.

Just for a frame of reference, to show I'm not new to dog ownership...We had our llasa/eskie for 16 years. We had our rescue for 13 years. During their last year or so, accidents were frequent. It was part of caring for older dogs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2021, 09:31 AM

1,586 posts, read 1,130,160 times
Triangle Beagle Rescue seems to be a good outfit. We have adopted a few from them over the years.

Old 01-11-2021, 09:57 AM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
I’m sorry you are having so much trouble. There was once a lengthy thread, I might have started it, ranting about being rejected by a cat rescue, and deciding that many “rescues” are really hoarders.

Anyway, since then we have adopted two dachshunds from 2 different local rescues, and it has been a wonderful experience. Each cost $150. which I feel is very fair.

On Fridays our newspaper used to post pictures of animals up for adoption. I saw our dogs and emailed the rescues. We went there to meet the dog and then, the rescue brought them to our house. We were approved and got the dogs. This was 2 years apart.

I know that different parts of the country have different practices and some areas have a lot of dogs and some not as many. Some of the rescues here in the south, ship adoptable dogs to northern rescues.

Maybe your area has a shortage, OP? Try looking within a wider area, and maybe you’ll have better luck.

Also, you might ask the veterinarians in town to keep an eye open for you. My friend adopted a bonded pair of small dogs through their vet.

Old 01-11-2021, 09:12 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,204,853 times
I've always been a dog's "human dog." Dogs like me (I think it's because I smell good to them). My favorite was a Boston terrier I acquired from a friend 30 years ago. Smartest thing on four legs you ever saw. Smart alecky too. Lots of fun. The perfect pet.

About 15 years ago, I set out to get another BT. A waste of time. BT's (and other good breeds) have become bastardized by people who know zilch about dog breeds. This accelerated post 2008 when people found out a fertilized female's puppies were instant money, while you just sat on your butt. BT's quickly went from $500 to $1500 a piece. But what these folks did to the breed was unconscienable. BT's have a very specific conformation and personality. I can't tell you what I saw. The worst was this compunction to put a pit bull head on a BT. I guess that was done to appeal to the general breed-ignorant public. Wrong colors, wrong conformation, bad personalities...they weren't BT's anymore! I gave up and got a parakeet instead

Old 01-13-2021, 12:30 AM

23,223 posts, read 29,051,044 times
Anyone know if they have Pet Stores in the Mexican Border cities? And, if so, you could buy a pet there and transport it across the Border? Or how about Canada? Buying one in Toronto and taking it across the Border?

After reading some of these posts and the exorbitant prices for a dog, it might be worth looking into.

I just googled Tijuana Pet Stores, and yes, they do have them. Why should I be surprised? As if the Mexicans don't like having a dog or a cat or a bird.?

Old 01-13-2021, 06:02 AM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
I know. I know (looking sheepishly at the floor) that I'd be supporting an industry that's cruel, and it'd be selfish to go that route. Sigh. Part of my venting I guess. I'm not going to buy from a pet store...but like I said, sometimes I wish I was still naïve about it all.

Maybe I need to go up to Petco, and see when their next adoption event will be. I kind of thought they'd stopped because of COVID, but maybe I just assumed that.
If your Petco adoptions are like the ones here at PetSmart, the routine has changed since Covid.
Before, the adoptable pets would be brought there and people could come meet them, then go through the approval process. Now, you must fill out all the paperwork and be approved first, then pick up your dog at the event.

Hubby and I are dachshund lovers, and one Saturday at the start of Covid, they were adopting out a bunch of dachshunds, so we went to go look. We were turned away, because it was intended only for those picking up their dogs.

Old 01-13-2021, 11:29 AM

32,658 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Anyone know if they have Pet Stores in the Mexican Border cities? ...........
There are USDA laws about bringing dogs across the border. At a minimum, the dog would need a valid rabies vaccination and that must be at four months or older.

Because there is a lot of rabies in Mexico and a lot of agricultural disease and pests, there are going to be laws to follow. I suggest that you contact the USDA veterinarian and get the requirements for importing a dog from Mexico. It's possible that the dog would need to be quarantined upon arrival into the States

Old 01-13-2021, 03:25 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times
Quote:
Anyone know if they have Pet Stores in the Mexican Border cities? And, if so, you could buy a pet there and transport it across the Border? Or how about Canada? Buying one in Toronto and taking it across the Border?

After reading some of these posts and the exorbitant prices for a dog, it might be worth looking into.

I just googled Tijuana Pet Stores, and yes, they do have them. Why should I be surprised? As if the Mexicans don't like having a dog or a cat or a bird.?
You might want to Google "Mexican puppy mills" next and find out why this is a terrible idea.

Old 01-13-2021, 06:27 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,024,982 times
Quote:

Why go to Mexico when there are so many animal shelters here?

Old 01-13-2021, 06:49 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,024,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
I'm looking for a small to medium size dog. 9 or 10 months, up to 5 years. Both of my previous dogs did have vets. Harvester Animal Hospital. I have a soft spot for the fuzzy, furry fluffers, but it's not a must. I like terriers (just not pits) spaniels, and of course, all the little designer dogs, and mixes of any of the above.

I have looked at:

St. Charles County Humane Society
5 Acres (they work with St. Charles County)
St. Louis County Humane Society
Find-a-Pet
I check 2 or 3 times a week.
Check everyday. Little dogs go fast at shelters. When I got my dog at the APA, I originally was going to look at another dog. Even though I got there when they opened, someone else got there moments before me to look at the same dog. While I was in the room playing with my dog, 4 other small dogs were adopted. And the day before I had gone to the St Louis County Animal Control to look at a small dog, and there were already 5 people on the wait list just for that day. The only small dog that didn't have a list was a 12 year old dog with no teeth (poor guy!)

I would think with people staying home, more people would be adopting dogs. Plus a lot of dogs are owner surrendered because the owner claims to not spend enough time at home, so there could also be less dogs being surrendered as people have more time to spend with their dogs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets